Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #63,661 of 63,837
Thanks XerusKun for mentioning the EDA... It seems like a great deal now, three set of earbuds for 35$! But as you can see, I need to cull some of my older sets haha... I don't really need any new earbuds now. I also forgot in my comparisons to mention the Tangzu Wan'er, which I just got this year in the AMAZINGLY gorgeous green color, but I had them at work. I will compare them and edit my ranking list soon. Those were an even better bargain because they came with many sets of eartips I've found useful for other KZ sets I have.

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #63,662 of 63,837
The more I hear the Symphony the more I like it. There is so much colour and life in the music with vibrant dynamics and wonderful clarity especially in the treble. I agree everything sounds musical and the different timbre of the two drivers I heard to begin with seems to have evened itself out (brain burn in, perhaps?). I do think they need a long burn in though ( if you believe in that!).
I do believe in burn-in... I also noticed the vocals on the Symphony sounded more forward after some time of use. I'm just usually too impatient to try them as soon as I open the box though!

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #63,663 of 63,837
I'm pretty new to this forum, so I am not sure the best place to post this... I recently did a sound comparison with all my earbuds and ranked them in a rudimentary way, and want to share my results here. They're mostly KZ, with 2 other ones thrown in because, well I was reviewing ALL my earbuds lol.

I was really into KZ back in the 20-teens but have not bought anything new since my much-loved light blue SKS wireless pair, that I recently gave to a friend. I recently got back into the KZ purchasing realm by getting the AZ20 Bluetooth adaptor, the EDX PRO X, and the Symphony. I also got the AZ09 in B-pin so it's compatible with my old buds.

I tested these earbuds in my iPhone 13 Pro using Amazon Music on the highest quality settings, and alternated using a wired connection and using the two AZ adaptors I have. Earbuds will be ranked from worst to best. I am only ranking the sound quality, not the comfort or other factors. Photos are taken from promotional images. Unless notes, all photos depict the color I have.
Overall rankings are X/10, and my three categories of sound quality are Clarity (which includes detail and soundstage,) Bass Response, and Vocal Performance. Those are ranked thusly: Underwhelming, Average, Great, Excellent, with a "+" added if they land somewhere between. I will then state if I am culling or keeping the sets.

FMJ.jpg
Skullcandy Full Metal Jacket Earbuds. Purchased in 2013.
Rating: 2/10.
This is my first set of earbuds I got to enjoy better sound, under the influence of my audio-obsessed friend. I thought they were great back then, and the build quality is still amazing to this day.
Tone: Warm.
Clarity: Underwhelming. Bass: Excellent. Vocals: Underwhelming.
Summary: These sound like you have the subwoofer in your room, but the treble speakers in another room with the door closed! The treble is still smooth, but very recessed and not very detailed. CULL!

rx.JPG
KZ RX. Purchased probably in 2016.
Rating: 3/10.
My First KZ. Compared to any other earbud I had heard, INCLUDING the [old] Bose Soundsport and any Klipsch [S4 I think?], these blew them out of the water and were way, way cheaper. I SOLD my Bose and Klipsch earbuds because I could not believe premium sound was to be had for like 20$.
Clarity: Underwhelming+. Bass: Great. Vocals: Underwhelming+.
Summary: These were an improvement back in the day, but in 2024, they can't compete. Still love the beefy metal design of these though! CULL!

zs4.jpg
KZ ZS4. Purchased in 2019.
Rating: 5/10.
I bought these based on some recommendations, and for a long time I used them on my lunch breaks at work. I thought they sounded pretty good at the time based on my Amazon review!
Tone: Light, almost hollow, with BASS.
Clarity: Average. Bass: Great+. Vocals: Underwhelming+
Summary: Very comfy earbuds that I realize now just don't sound great overall. The vocals don't sound quite right compared to my other buds, despite the armature helping with the high end. It's just not tuned very well I guess? I also did not like the ES4, which has a similar driver configuration where the armature driver is in front of the dynamic. CULL!

zs10.jpg
KZ ZS10. Purchased in 2018.
Rating: 5/10.
This was my second 5-driver IEM and I was never too impressed with the comfort, or the sound quality, although at first I somewhat liked their more reference tuning.
Tone: Clear.
Clarity: Average+. Bass: Underwhelming. Vocals: Average+.
This feels like a very tame tuning compared to some sets higher on this list, and for that, I can't recommend them. Despite having 5 drivers, the treble here is not as detailed as some other KZ sets. CULL!

edxprox.jpg
KZ EDX PRO X. Purchased in 2024.
Rating: 6/10.
I bought these for like $11 along with my AZ20 adaptors, hoping to get a fresh look at some cheap KZ IEMs. It seems I lost the gamble here based on what I hear about other cheap KZ sets!
Clarity: Average. Bass: Average+. Vocals: Average+.
Spoilers, I had already loved a previous version of this line, so I assumed this new model would be somehow better. I was wrong. They are fairly reference-tuned and in 2024, probably a very average-sounding earbud. Love the cyan color though! CULL.

wan'er.jpg
Tangzu Wan'er S.G. Purchased in 2024.
Rating: 6.5/10.
Got these for just over 20$ and WOW I love how artistic and classy these things look. The packaging was leaps and bounds better than KZ, and they came with a bunch of eartips that I found useful for some of my other earbuds. GREAT bargain, in my opinion. The cable, though, was pretty bad. I used the KZ silver cable instead.
Clarity: Average+. Bass: Average. Vocals: Average+
Summary: These are generally an above average earbud, and that is reflected in the ratings. There's really not as much bass as I would have expected, but that can change with the eartips... You really need a good seal on these, and some eartips are wider nozzle than others, which I guess changes the sound a little, but overall, they are lacking in subbass somewhat, ESPECIALLY compared to the upcoming Aiwa set. They're decently clear, and the mids opened up after breaking them in... new, they sounded really muddy. KEEP (for using at work, likely.)

edx.jpg
KZ EDX. Purchased in 2020.
Rating: 7/10.
Can't remember why I bought these, but boy was I very impressed at the time! I got the GRAY color which I can't seem to find photos of. They are cheap and have amazing sound.
Tone: Clear, Warm.
Clarity: Great. Bass: Average+. Vocals: Great.
Summary: Newer doesn't always mean better, and the PRO X model is simply not an improvement. So far, the EDX is one of the best-sounding single DD earbuds I have ever heard. KEEP! EDIT: I changed a lot on the score for this one... I realized they are a lot more treble-focused than I had realized, and the Aiwa has better bass, so that got deducted a notch... but the vocals are very warm and present. I rate it about the same as the Aiwa despite them not sounding similar. I like the wonderful bass emphasis on the Aiwa, but the clarity of the EDX is very refreshing.

aiwa.jpg
Aiwa Prodigy Air 2. Purchased in 2020.
Rating: 7/10.
These were my go-to wireless buds for quite a while. Note that the rating is ONLY for sound quality. I've had issues with these: Had a replacement send because the mics on my first pair didn't work (they sent a free replacement!), and the battery life on these degrades quickly. At this point, they have trouble holding a charge for more than a week or two.
Clarity: Average. Bass: Great+. Vocals: Average+
Summary: These are among the best single DD earbuds I have heard so far. The vocals are warm and fairly life-like. There's enough bass and treble to back that up, and overall I was pleased with the sound. I wonder about some of the newer sets Aiwa is putting out, but have not felt the need to purchase any. KEEP (until the battery won't hold a charge!) EDIT: I realize that there's more bass here than I realized at first...just wow!

zs5.jpg
KZ ZS5. Purchased in 2017.
Rating: 8/10.
This is my third ever KZ purchase, and a vast improvement over the ZS1 that I loved. ( I don't remember giving those away but I can't find them now haha. They would rank between the RX and the ZS4.)
Tone: Warm and clear.
Clarity: Great. Bass: Average+. Vocals: Great.
Summary: I know these have cheap plastic body and that the sound has been highly criticized, but I listened to them quite a bit in my tests, and I simply enjoy the sound more than even I had remembered! KEEP!

zs6.jpg
KZ ZS6. Purchased sometime in 2017-2018. (Before the ZS10.)
Rating: 8.5/10.
I LOVE the green metal body of these buds, and when I got them they quickly replaced the ZS5. I know people droned on about how the high-end is too sibilant, but they are now my second-favorite earbud I've EVER tried.
Tone: Clear and light.
Clarity: Excellent. Bass: Great. Vocals: Excellent.
Summary: This is now my full-time "second set" that I listen to on the AZ09 adaptor. These are stellar earbuds that sound like a breath of fresh air, and still pack even punchier bass than the ZS5. KEEP!

symphony.jpg
KZ Symphony: Purchased in 2024.
Rating: 9.5/10.
This is my first experience hearing a planar driver, and after they broke in a little, I was simply blown away. Undeniably the best earbud or headphone (the Aiwa Arc-1 came close according to my memory) I have ever heard. Not a perfect score because I think the bass is just a BIT overdone on some songs, even though I LOVE bass lol.
Tone: Warm and Clear (the perfect combo!)
Clarity: Excellent+ (While the ZS6 has a more airy sound, the Symphony has better quality treble.) BASS: Excellent+ (cup running over bass!) Vocals: Excellent (While they are very clear and enunciated, some vocal can still get overshadowed a little by the booming bass.)

Summary: While there are many other highly rated newer KZ sets that I've not heard, (I'm very interested in the AS24,) I'm not sure I want or need anything more than the Symphony, running on the AZ20. I think I'm falling in love with planar drivers haha. They make everything sound more musical, even hard rock, a genre I generally don't enjoy. People scoff at the 6mm dynamic subwoofer, saying it's too small, but guys, have you HEARD the bass on this thing?! I wouldn't want any more! There's plenty of other name-brand earbuds, even high-end ones that are 6MM SINGLE DD, so size doesn't always matter. Would I recommend these? Absolutely unless you don't want so much bass. KEEPER!
I updated this list, if anyone is interested :)

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #63,664 of 63,837
Is anyone able to rank the KZ PR-series IEMs from best to worst?

I had the PR2, but the right monitor was faulty straight out the box so got rid. I've just received the PR1 Pro and interested to see how they rank amongst other PR editions?
Cheers

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #63,665 of 63,837

I had the PR2, but the right monitor was faulty straight out the box so got rid. I've just received the PR1 Pro and interested to see how they rank amongst other PR editions?
Cheers
Haven't tried the PR3 but

PR2 v1 > PR2 v2 >> PR1 Pro > CCA PLA 13 > PR1 H

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #63,666 of 63,837

Cheers
Pr1 Pro -> pr2 v1 -> pr3 for me

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #63,667 of 63,837

Cheers
I had all of them.

PR2v1 is quite good. PR2v2 and PR3 is a banshee shout fest for me.
PR1, all version: good for the price, but sold all.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #63,668 of 63,837
I had all of them.

PR2v1 is quite good. PR2v2 and PR3 is a banshee shout fest for me.
PR1, all version: good for the price, but sold all.
I'm waiting for KZ to make another good one so I can recommend something budget again.

Heck, even re-releasing the PR2v1 as the Pr2 Pro for double would be great. Since higher QC requirement was cited as the change.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #63,669 of 63,837
My modded KZ PR3 is a jackpot

From Eardrum killer to Giant Killer (well sort of..)

KZ PR3 Mod.jpg

See the bass become tighter yet perceived more impactful due to the retuned, perfect pinna gain on +8db, very extended trebles and technicalities like kilobucks IEMs

They are only better than : PR2, Zetian Wu, Timeless (even modded), Hidisz MP145, S12, S12 Pro, Tinhifi P1 Max, PR1 :anguished:

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #63,670 of 63,837
After two or so years in storage I dug out my old ZSA today, hooked them up to an 8-core SPC Kinboofi cable and did something I rarely do ... applied some careful EQ to that boomy, bleeding bass, taking care of the upper mids and lower treble as well, saving some presets, taking listening breaks ... finally switching back and forth between a set of reference tracks and the 4 EQ presets and wow ... maybe the best 9 bucks I ever spent on a set of KZ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
No TOTL killer here, but nothing too shabby either, really toe tapping enjoyable; with some EQing more so than my Blon BL-03. I really like those tiny suckers so much that I might try a mod or two ... they don't even have a port hole on the frontside but could really need one to take care of that boominess ... no big deal.

1711578801557-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #63,671 of 63,837
1000013018.jpg

Got my ESX and ZES.
ZES is just okay, nothing really stands out, so just good IEM with thin nozzle. Oh, and there is cable, that comes with PR1 Pro as well, not standard one.
ESX have a really WIDE stage in my opinion. And overall sounds smooth and detailed with good bass and treble.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #63,672 of 63,837

Cheers

I only had PR1 Silver edition and PR2. PR1 was a step up in terms technicality within KZ at the time. Bass was adequate and the warmth there was able to cover up a bit of 'tin' sounding especially on percussion instruments. PR2 was the most shouty IEMs I've ever heard. It wasn't usual that I tried an IEMs for a few minutes, and never wanted to listen it ever again, also the reason I haven't gotten any KZs for awhile, despite how good the prices were for PR3 or even well reviewed PR1 Pro.

Just ordered AS16 pro only because of a deal, also based on my experience, as long as KZ put 2 big ass bass BA (or at least close to 30% overall driver count) in IEMs, they're generally not that bad!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #63,673 of 63,837
I only had PR1 Silver edition and PR2. PR1 was a step up in terms technicality within KZ at the time. Bass was adequate and the warmth there was able to cover up a bit of 'tin' sounding especially on percussion instruments. PR2 was the most shouty IEMs I've ever heard. It wasn't usual that I tried an IEMs for a few minutes, and never wanted to listen it ever again, also the reason I haven't gotten any KZs for awhile, despite how good the prices were for PR3 or even well reviewed PR1 Pro.

Just I ordered AS16 pro only because of a deal, also based on my experience, as long as KZ put 2 big ass bass BA (or at least close to 30% overall driver count) in IEMs, they're generally not that bad!
I also got the AS24 recently, the bass isn't bad by any meaning, just BA bass need to have compensation sub bass boost to mimic the good dd bass rumble and punch. On mid bass section I always prefer BA bass tightness (or planar mid bass). KZ new BA bass isn't bad. I rated them 7/10 where moondrop S8 bass i rated it 6.5/10. The best BA bass I ever heard is on u12t with 8.5/10 score for me.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #63,675 of 63,837
I have not modded the PR3 but have changed the Starline tips to KBEAR wide bore and am using a Faaeal Hibiscus cable. This piece, from Richard Burmer's "Mosaic" album sounds brilliant on the PR3. Amazing transients and so much life in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back