Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 26, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #58,996 of 63,916
Though it will be $40 more if you want one where all the drivers are connected. :) Hey somebody had to make the joke.
Ha ha, that's good. Mind you, it is likely that in all-BA iems that all drivers are functional.

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #58,997 of 63,916
Though it will be $40 more if you want one where all the drivers are connected. :) Hey somebody had to make the joke.
I really feel sorry about this joking about KZ and all this recent hoopla...
Mostly about those joking, not KZ.

Only DQ6s problems are reasonably proven, abd I personally would not touch this tuner's items with a pole anyhow.

Then ZEX pro, that I was afraid to be downtuned in treble, are really honestly tuned. All the drivers are there, and understandably most complaints are about the treble, my respect to Crin!

DQ6 (original) allegations are just silly to me, if that is a single DD, just bravo, KZ.
I did dissassemble CCZ Emerald with totally dead BAs (it did not sound any "BA" to me to look into it) and I can confirm that the "EST" in CRA is real, I listened to it alone with the DD disconnected - weird (to me) both by the sound and the design- but honest functional implementation at least.

Of the recent, ZAS and AST are treble lame/downtuned.
AST with the treble of BA10 or ZAX would be a dream or ZAX with a bass BA instead of its lame (to me) DD.
Then I am more with the "conspiracy theory" if the close-knit Chi-Fi " village", so KZ can't put others out of existence.

For the AS16, I got my first for $100 and was only sorry that I did not get it right away listening to all those reviewers complaining about the bass and teble.

I hot my second and third for $80 for two :) .
Really great with "golden classics", modern-day electronic music can be harsh due to its nicely accentuated treble at 2-3 kHz.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #58,998 of 63,916
Ha ha, that's good. Mind you, it is likely that in all-BA iems that all drivers are functional.
Would really like it if someone who owns an AS16 or AST actually measured them.
Going speculative for a moment, that might be a reason why the all-BA models are typically more expensive overall than the hybrids with the same driver count - if there is actual crossover engineering and tuning going on.

Mar 26, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #58,999 of 63,916
I really feel sorry about this joking about KZ and all this recent hoopla...
Mostly about those joking, not KZ.

Only DQ6s problems are reasonably proven, abd I personally would not touch this tuner's items with a pole anyhow.

Then ZEX pro, that I was afraid to be downtuned in treble, are really honestly tuned. All the drivers are there, and understandably most complaints are about the treble, my respect to Crin!

DQ6 (original) allegations are just silly to me, if that is a single DD, just bravo, KZ.
I did dissassemble CCZ Emerald with totally dead BAs (it did not sound any "BA" to me to look into it) and I can confirm that the "EST" in CRA is real, I listened to it alone with the DD disconnected - weird (to me) both by the sound and the design- but honest functional implementation at least.

Of the recent, ZAS and AST are treble lame/downtuned.
AST with the treble of BA10 or ZAX would be a dream or ZAX with a bass BA instead of its lame (to me) DD.
Then I am more with the "conspiracy theory" if the close-knit Chi-Fi " village", so KZ can't put others out of existence.

For the AS16, I got my first for $100 and was only sorry that I did not get it right away listening to all those reviewers complaining about the bass and teble.

I hot my second and third for $80 for two :) .
Really great with "golden classics", modern-day electronic music can be harsh due to its nicely accentuated treble at 2-3 kHz.
Don't forget the AS12. It sounds excellent, the treble is extended, detailed and delicate.Very clear open mids and one of the best for BA bass as well. Also, I find the treble on the AST very good, I do not notice anything lacking.

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #59,001 of 63,916
Hi guys, I'm still , but very happy, with my ZS6 and my players Xduoo X3 and Fiio x1 old gen, I also have ZSN ZST ATE ATR ED9 ZS3 ZS5 and others ... would it be worth updating with ZAX or Moondrop Air or what? Thanks in advance
I think you should evaluate the ZAX.
For me they are very good!

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #59,003 of 63,916
many thanks @kalo86 for your important opinion!
Does anyone have ZS6 and ZAX or ARIA Moondrop would be able to tell me if there are differences so important to evaluate a new purchase?

I don't have the Aria but the ZS6 and ZAX, I do have. These are just my opinions so YMMV. The ZAX is more sensitive than the ZS6 and comes off as source agnostic. It doesn't need anything fancy to drive it so a smartphone will suffice. The older KZs, like the ZS6, were less sensitive so they could maybe benefit from amping, etc. Again, it's very debatable. The ZAX is, overall, a better earphone than the ZS6. It sounds as detailed as the ZS6 without coming off as overly fatiguing or harsh. I can wear silicone tips with the ZAX whereas with the ZS6 I can only use foams for long listening sessions (greater than 30 minutes). In just a quick A\B comparison, the ZS6 isn't as dynamic. The ZS6 isn't as textured as the ZAX. The ZAX has a more natural timbre to my ears than the ZS6.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #59,004 of 63,916
Non ho l'Aria ma lo ZS6 e lo ZAX, ce l'ho. Queste sono solo le mie opinioni quindi YMMV. Lo ZAX è più sensibile dello ZS6 e risulta indipendente dalla sorgente. Non ha bisogno di niente di speciale per guidarlo, quindi uno smartphone sarà sufficiente. I KZ più vecchi, come lo ZS6, erano meno sensibili quindi potevano forse beneficiare dell'amplificazione, ecc. Ancora una volta, è molto discutibile. Lo ZAX è, nel complesso, un auricolare migliore rispetto allo ZS6. Suona dettagliato come lo ZS6 senza risultare eccessivamente faticoso o duro. Posso indossare punte in silicone con lo ZAX mentre con lo ZS6 posso usare solo schiume per lunghe sessioni di ascolto (superiori a 30 minuti). In un rapido confronto A\B, lo ZS6 non è così dinamico. Lo ZS6 non è strutturato come lo ZAX. Lo ZAX ha un timbro più naturale per le mie orecchie rispetto allo ZS6.
Thank you so much dear friend @rayliam80.
Very detailed answer 🙏

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #59,006 of 63,916
Mar 27, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #59,008 of 63,916
I'm so confused.
So it sounds like the KZ CRN/ZEX PRO was bashed for no reason....it was all a mistake?
If that's the case why did Crinacle jump on board too? I thought he was sort of an earphone expert.
Obviously they can't tell the subtle differences between before and after disconnecting BAs/MST or whatever and have been relying on the FR from the beginning. As I said our echoic memory is not reliable and unless you have a two pairs of the same IEMs to act as a control, all these expert talks are just BS. Anyone with an IEC coupler can be an "expert" or an ignorant fellow.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #59,009 of 63,916
I'm so confused.
So it sounds like the KZ CRN/ZEX PRO was bashed for no reason....it was all a mistake?
If that's the case why did Crinacle jump on board too? I thought he was sort of an earphone expert.
Crinacle jumped the ship because of the pressure. Pretty sad.

But the DQ6(S) thing didn't help KZ at all.

Mar 27, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #59,010 of 63,916
So, basically, it turns out that KZ's explanation that their other drivers are useful for improving technicalities despite their low volume output was...entirely correct, and the IEM community made complete clowns of themselves. Again.

When an extremely reputable manufacturer like DUNU comes out and says every expensive Sonion EST IEM (including their own) behaves in the exact same way, I'm gonna say that the case is closed.

And this re-explains the differences that are clearly present between KZs with different driver counts despite same-looking frequency graphs and overall tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back