Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #58,141 of 63,916
You may have missed my previous posts... a person should do research before buying any earphones especially when they may not even need them.

Send me a DQ6 and I'll start talking from experience, as you said.

I've owned 15 KZ's in the past and any future model can't have any bad issues like the previous ones I gave away (metallic sound/harshness).
I have been watching the conversation. Wide generalisations have never helped anyone because each specific IEM has its own reality. I've had about 8 KZs and three did not suit me, one a QC problem, and 4 are quite good. I have never in all my years on Head-Fi judged the sound of an IEM I have not listened to.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #58,142 of 63,916
Listened to the ZEX Pro today. If I didn't have EQ, I don't think I could listen to them for long periods. That treble peak is just too damn high.
It's really easy to cut though, and once you do the ZEX Pro sounds far better than you would think for the price.

It was a mistake to tune the 5kHz-8kHz treble the way it is. This could have been a monster value performer stock on just about any source.

Still waiting on the CRA to arrive, which I think will be tuned exactly how I would have wanted based on all the graphs and impressions.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #58,143 of 63,916
Listened to the ZEX Pro today. If I didn't have EQ, I don't think I could listen to them for long periods. That treble peak is just too damn high.
It's really easy to cut though, and once you do the ZEX Pro sounds far better than you would think for the price.

It was a mistake to tune the 5kHz-8kHz treble the way it is. This could have been a monster value performer stock on just about any source.

Still waiting on the CRA to arrive, which I think will be tuned exactly how I would have wanted based on all the graphs and impressions.
I was wondering....if a person is older, say 50, is the treble peak young people notice no longer a treble peak for the older person?
I think it's close to certain that as you age the high frequency hearing is lost.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #58,144 of 63,916
I was wondering....if a person is older, say 50, is the treble peak young people notice no longer a treble peak for the older person?
I think it's close to certain that as you age the high frequency hearing is lost.
human-hearing-range-1.png

From: https://www.audiologyresearch.org/human-hearing-range

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #58,145 of 63,916
I recently put some micro-pore tape on a headphone driver to turn down the treble and it seems to work. But I had to put a pin hole on the tape to let some treble through.
It seems the bass and lower mid-range is not affected by the tape. This got me thinking about how headphones' companies create custom signature tuning with only one microphone and one driver. I think there is similar sine sweep done to measure the ear cup spectral response. I suspect the algorithm looks for changes in the higher frequencies to develop compensation curve in the custom tuning. Just a guess though, cause I never worked on this stuff. I know bass goes through even walls, mids like to bounce around like in a cave, and treble is very directional and travel short distances in a straight line. RF signals have similar behaviors depending on the frequency bands or wavelengths.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #58,146 of 63,916
I recently put some micro-pore tape on a headphone driver to turn down the treble and it seems to work. But I had to put a pin hole on the tape to let some treble through.
It seems the bass and lower mid-range is not affected by the tape. This got me thinking about how headphones' companies create custom signature tuning with only one microphone and one driver. I think there is similar sine sweep done to measure the ear cup spectral response. I suspect the algorithm looks for changes in the higher frequencies to develop compensation curve in the custom tuning. Just a guess though, cause I never worked on this stuff. I know bass goes through even walls, mids like to bounce around like in a cave, and treble is very directional and travel short distances in a straight line. RF signals have similar behaviors depending on the frequency bands or wavelengths.
Yeah, what he said!

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #58,147 of 63,916
Revisit DQ6:
When my DQ6 unit first arrived, i hate it... I really really hate it, they are shouty mess, on top of that cymbal hit really weird with this set, also no 3k peak that i like. After @RikudouGoku recommend the mod, i try it, love it, but put it away because they're too warm for my liking.
Today, i remove the foam, change to GK10 filter, put on widebore tips, they're gorgeous
Bass is so clean, mid is very very neutral, no harsh, no sibilance, they're absolute gaint killer
IMG_20220106_150800.jpg

Also i noticed there is a slight boost at 8khz that sometimes noticeable on this set, using widebore tips somewhat tame it

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #58,148 of 63,916
Anyone else think it would've been fun if Crinacle tried his hand at retuning the $100 KZ AST? I like to think that a 12BA IEM (the BAs in which are supposedly superior than the 30095 KZ used in the ZEX Pro) can at least approach the 'endgame' tier of technical performance when tuned with care. I haven't listened to the AST but my 1DD/7BA ZAX are already very good on a technical level minus the DD whose detail and speed noticeably lags behind the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #58,149 of 63,916
Anyone else think it would've been fun if Crinacle tried his hand at retuning the $100 KZ AST? I like to think that a 12BA IEM (the BAs in which are supposedly superior than the 30095 KZ used in the ZEX Pro) can at least approach the 'endgame' tier of technical performance when tuned with care.
Thats what I hoped he would have done, having multiple cheap drivers to tune would have give him much more flexibility.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #58,150 of 63,916
Revisit DQ6:
When my DQ6 unit first arrived, i hate it... I really really hate it, they are shouty mess, on top of that cymbal hit really weird with this set, also no 3k peak that i like. After @RikudouGoku recommend the mod, i try it, love it, but put it away because they're too warm for my liking.
Today, i remove the foam, change to GK10 filter, put on widebore tips, they're gorgeous
Bass is so clean, mid is very very neutral, no harsh, no sibilance, they're absolute gaint killer
IMG_20220106_150800.jpg
Also i noticed there is a slight boost at 8khz that sometimes noticeable on this set, using widebore tips somewhat tame it
my widebore tips is too loose to be used on ZEXPro
any tips on how to make it fit?

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #58,151 of 63,916
my widebore tips is too loose to be used on ZEXPro
any tips on how to make it fit?
Some o rings that u can buy for your mechanic keyboard ._.
Edit: it looks like this and just wear it at the bottom of your installed tips
Keyboard-Keycap-Dampeners-Color-Silicone-O-Ring.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #58,153 of 63,916
So yeah, if i'm not audiophile because of not loving some dead neutral sig, well, i'll be happy to say i'm not audiophile.

It's a great point, but the IEM and headphone people's ideal for what an audiophile is or isn't is different again for other weirdos in the audio world. For some folks, being an audiophile used to mean that you didn't have any vinyl less than 180g in your collection, and if you did, it was defensible as a rare original release of some kind. Other people believe that if there's not at least one horn driver in your speaker cabinets, you have no such claim to being an audiophile. Some purists demand infinite baffle or open back dual cone speakers in their setups. Then there are the tube amp people, but the tech is hard to come by and hyper expensive relative to solid state tech that fits in the palm of your hand and has arguably the same quality. And what miffs them the most is that a DAC tweak can accurately reproduce any tube profile you could ever want. But I digress...

The point is this: technology changes, and tastes change with it. We are drowning in digitally produced music and that flat, lifeless bass expectation is just not a good ideal target for anyone. Crin has a ruler flat profile that is possibly ideal for people doing studio work, but it's joyless, otherwise. I'm not a fan at all. Sony V6 is more fun than that curve, and it wasn't meant to be "fun".

In year 2022, there is such an extreme range of variation in music genres and music production methods that its foolhardy to pretend that a single response curve is an ideal for all recordings. You can't gauge timbre on synth based strings produced in Ableton with a chain of 10 effects behind it the same as a live recording of a string quartet. You just can't. I just can't hide my open contempt for this kind of grading and ranking on absolutes. An earphone that is terrible for classical music might be great for reggae, and it might be terrible for either of those but sound great for Eminem. That's just fine by my book. It doesn't mean it's not a good headphone.

"High Fidelity" is supposed to mean that you hear a recording as the "artist intended" and that the sound isn't colored by the equipment. Unfortunately, chasing that idea is a fool's errand. You're going to hear exactly what the sound mixers, engineers, and studio producers want you to hear. Artists have little say in the matter these days, unless they're producing on their own or for an indie label. And even then a lot of independent producers have a very rigid toolchain of DIY and off-the-shelf tech that they're going to apply to the mix, like it or not. The range of technique and method exercised in digital mixing and production is as infinite as there are people making music, which these days, is a whole bunch. The idea that one headphone's response curve is a rank "S" of for all music, globally, is just silly. All that means to me is that nothing sounds bad on that particular phone, but that a whole lot of music doesn't sound great, either. These rankings are made according to averages. When I listen to Bach I want sublime.

From a headfi and audio community perspective, how a listener engages with the music is much more important than chasing a technical ideal for the old definitions of the audiophile pursuit between critical and analytical listening. The kind of tuning that is generally heralded as being an "audiophile" tuning is typically skewed toward this more analytical listening where a warm, flat'ish midrange and rolled off treble helps sit through long listening sessions when exploring a specific genre or catalog. Critical listening is a bit more demanding and getting the balance right can be tough for a specific genre. It's a different kind of listening when picking apart how a french horn segment is supporting the parts being played on the reeds in a symphony. It doesn't mean that one or the other isn't Audiophile Approved activity, but limiting yourself to one curve for all music and both kinds of listening just isn't logical.

And then we get back to engagement. Putting these old fogey definitions of what an audiophile is aside, there's so much variation in how music is made, how it's delivered, and what culture that it comes from (or is mixed up from) that what sounds good and helps you enjoy what you're hearing is ultimately more important than any possible definition of psycho-acoustic rigidity. Learn your ears, and stick around for those folks that are telling you the same thing.

I can't hear its superiority. For me it will always be a glorified search tool.

Maybe that's why I don't like local collections and music players. It's a glorified "on-repeat" tool. ;^)

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #58,154 of 63,916
Anyone else think it would've been fun if Crinacle tried his hand at retuning the $100 KZ AST? I like to think that a 12BA IEM (the BAs in which are supposedly superior than the 30095 KZ used in the ZEX Pro) can at least approach the 'endgame' tier of technical performance when tuned with care. I haven't listened to the AST but my 1DD/7BA ZAX are already very good on a technical level minus the DD whose detail and speed noticeably lags behind the rest of the frequency spectrum.
I have gotten really good results out of EQ'ing the original AST. The best we can hope for is that KZ starts tuning future IEMs using their experience.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #58,155 of 63,916
Wow, there is a way to shut up a mechanical keyboard?
Yeah there are many ways. But using o-rings has its cons like it reduces the traveling distance of the key.
You can do other things to silence the keyboard like using specific silent switches or putting dampening foam between the pcb and the bottom of the case, etc.. Also lubing helps.

---

Also, the Zex Pro I ordered a month ago arrived few days ago. Sadly one of the sides doesnt work :frowning2: so I asked for a refund and got my money back.
I took some pics (sorry for the bad quality) and it seems that the one on the right pic has more more soldering points compared to the other? Im a complete newb in this but is that supposed to be like that? or should both be the same?
(The one that doesnt work is the one on the left picture)

318c0d31207bb17d614fad51d7692c9a.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back