Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #56,011 of 63,917
If you already have say the DQ6 would you still want another DQ6 or the like? Sometimes I think versatility doesn't have to be the first priority especially for those who have a lot of IEMs. It is very good for some types of music much better than the DQ6 and personally that is all I need from the ZAS.
Yeah, I do have the DQ6 and what I wish is that they release an update in the future with a more refined treble response and a moved upper midrange peak closer to 3 kHz. They should keep the XUN. I also am factoring in the price of the ZAS with my statements. I'd rather have 1-3 better quality BAs than 7 lesser quality ones in that price range.

I do wonder why KZ is so adamant on using their "own" BAs, multiple ones at that? And just not release a Knowles or Sonion-equipped IEM. Maybe some business contract limitations? (not sure, not knowledgeable in that field)

Knowledge Zenith is definitely showing us the new path they're walking with the ZAS. However, as the KZ ZAS appears to be of the first pages of this new chapter, it's in no way *the* legendary KZ that everyone has been waiting for ever since their past game changers. We can only hope and pray that it gets better from here on (come on, KZ. Please start the electrostatic project 🙏🏻).

Like I said before... Two steps forward, one step back.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #56,012 of 63,917
You just confirm what I said, ASX is bad too and you had to fix it adding a software. I prefer avoid, I don't hold shares of KZ.

No, I didn't confirm what you said, which was you'll get an odd sound with EQ. My experience with it was otherwise.

Whatever else you're address here regarding "fixing" and "shares in KZ" wasn't what I was discussing, which was EQ not resulting in odd sound and only that.

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #56,013 of 63,917
I don't know if you have shares, I just noticed that you are pushing those ASX in every forum I went through...

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #56,014 of 63,917
Yeah, I do have the DQ6 and what I wish is that they release an update in the future with a more refined treble response and a moved upper midrange peak closer to 3 kHz. They should keep the XUN. I also am factoring in the price of the ZAS with my statements. I'd rather have 1-3 better quality BAs than 7 lesser quality ones in that price range.

I do wonder why KZ is so adamant on using their "own" BAs, multiple ones at that? And just not release a Knowles or Sonion-equipped IEM. Maybe some business contract limitations? (not sure, not knowledgeable in that field)

Knowledge Zenith is definitely showing us the new path they're walking with the ZAS. However, as the KZ ZAS appears to be of the first pages of this new chapter, it's in no way *the* legendary KZ that everyone has been waiting for ever since their past game changers. We can only hope and pray that it gets better from here on (come on, KZ. Please start the electrostatic project 🙏🏻).

They are simply just trying to make money by releasing new IEMs. They probably can't get a very different tuning with the XUN. You can see my FR measurement the curves of CSN and ZAS look very similar.

It is simply cheaper to use their own BAs. For example the cost of the AST is about the sum of the cost of all the BAs if you buy them separately. They need to keep the cost down.

Anyway I am building my own IEM with the XUN driver, basically targeted to get more bass response and more refined treble based on the CSN. :L3000:

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #56,015 of 63,917
They are simply just trying to make money by releasing new IEMs. They probably can't get a very different tuning with the XUN. You can see my FR measurement the curves of CSN and ZAS look very similar.

It is simply cheaper to use their own BAs. For example the cost of the AST is about the sum of the cost of all the BAs if you buy them separately. They need to keep the cost down.

Anyway I am building my own IEM with the XUN driver, basically targeted to get more bass response and more refined treble based on the CSN. :L3000:
In the end, everything's a business. Well, can't blame them. People have mouths to feed.

Soooo excited for your XUN project. Rooting for you to tap it's full potential 😁

Potential budget endgame 🤔🤭?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #56,017 of 63,917
You just confirm what I said, ASX is bad too and you had to fix it adding a software. I prefer avoid, I don't hold shares of KZ.
however ASX differ from AST, for me sub bass in AST is not good and the EQ makes it odder, of course to my ears.
so you truly hated it. do you have experience with other dark/warm signature sets?

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #56,018 of 63,917
KZ begin to remind me of toy brands and commercials from the 80's. "There's no end to the number of creative combinations possible with FURZER BEBES new Patent Pending Snaptastic design. Fun for every taste and disposition - collect 'em all!"

In other words, I just ordered DQ6.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #56,019 of 63,917

The thing is that treble response is here to stay because that's what works in China for them. And that's what made them *legendary* as well. Because this is what gives those micro details and what not. KZ will always be V-shaped it will either be a cannon with normal DDs or a missile with XUN. With XUN, KZ has actually hit a jackpot that enhances their V-shaped house tuning.

KZ will never ever go for Harman or DF Neutral or other kinds of tunings. Why spoil a tried and tested recipe? And in the market segment they operate, this is what works best. A casual user who is upgrading to a KZ will be immediately blown away by them. It's the audiophile or long term KZ users from outside China who are expecting the unexpected and are being disappointed/left wanting with every release.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #56,020 of 63,917
The thing is that treble response is here to stay because that's what works in China for them. And that's what made them *legendary* as well. Because this is what gives those micro details and what not. KZ will always be V-shaped it will either be a cannon with normal DDs or a missile with XUN. With XUN, KZ has actually hit a jackpot that enhances their V-shaped house tuning.

KZ will never ever go for Harman or DF Neutral or other kinds of tunings. Why spoil a tried and tested recipe? And in the market segment they operate, this is what works best. A casual user who is upgrading to a KZ will be immediately blown away by them. It's the audiophile or long term KZ users from outside China who are expecting the unexpected and are being disappointed/left wanting with every release.
are you implying they should stay in their comfort zone? what innovations would that bring?

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #56,021 of 63,917
are you implying they should stay in their comfort zone? what innovations would that bring?
I'd personally be thrilled if they refined the CCA CKX even more. If they managed to even out some of the peaks in the lower treble, give it some more treble extension, and make the sub-bass slam even more, then it would be a pretty easy sell for me at up to $150.

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #56,022 of 63,917
Having been to China and worked with Chinese folk for decades, I think there's a lot of truth in here. Traditional Chinese string instruments are plucked, high pitched, and have very little natural resonance to speak of. Vocals likewise tend to be in a high register compared to western music. Younger Chinese folk still listen to lots of rock, rap, and synth based music same us western folk, but their calibration for what sounds "good" is probably a lot different than your average youtube reviewer. (not that that's a bad thing, just different).

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #56,023 of 63,917
That's how KZ has been maintaining their business for last decade or so. They never innovated anything. Why would they innovate when their current products are head and shoulders above competition in terms of sales? If you ran a business, would you cater to a market with a billion customers or a few hundred thousand hobbyists abroad? It's not even a question. They will always cater and innovate basis what works in China. And, in a way new Black BA and XUN are their 'innovations' of sorts which is in response to the local competition. They will innovate basis their competition and not to create something path-breaking.

KZ is not only a retailer of IEMs. They OEM and ODM for other brands as well and that's where their real margins and profits are coming from. I'm saying it will take something tectonic for KZ to deviate from their bright-V signature.

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #56,024 of 63,917
Having been to China and worked with Chinese folk for decades, I think there's a lot of truth in here. Traditional Chinese string instruments are plucked, high pitched, and have very little natural resonance to speak of. Vocals likewise tend to be in a high register compared to western music. Younger Chinese folk still listen to lots of rock, rap, and synth based music same us western folk, but their calibration for what sounds "good" is probably a lot different than your average youtube reviewer. (not that that's a bad thing, just different).

Exactly! It's how they hear and perceive sound is very different from westerners. They generally like their sounds to be bright because it probably means clarity and details for them. Or maybe that's what is 'accurate' for them. In my country, masses like bassy sound signature with mild gain at 4-5k. Many regions/people have their own benchmark of what's good and what's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back