Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 7, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #55,486 of 63,917
KZ AST seems to like more power. The sound is like night and day when switching between my P1 tube amp and trn BTR20S pro. Using amp, the sound is fuller with better separation, bass is more powerful and tighter, more open/airy on the treble.
Comparing KZ AST and CCA CKX briefly, the sound signature is very different between the two. The AST is pretty similar to Moondrop Aria signature where the vocal is not as forward. The bass is definitely much more pronounce than CKX especially bass guitar. The bass has very nice texture and air rivaling a DD bass. Treble can be quite splashy on the attack but not on the decay.
The Aria and AST share a kinda similar sound signature imho. The Aria is quieter compared to the AST. The Aria is overall smoother without any noticeable harshness whereas the AST has those peak on the treble that can annoy some people, but so far no sibilance. The bass is where the Aria differ from the AST. The mid bass is more elevated on the AST.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #55,488 of 63,917
KZ AST seems to like more power. The sound is like night and day when switching between my P1 tube amp and trn BTR20S pro. Using amp, the sound is fuller with better separation, bass is more powerful and tighter, more open/airy on the treble.
Comparing KZ AST and CCA CKX briefly, the sound signature is very different between the two. The AST is pretty similar to Moondrop Aria signature where the vocal is not as forward. The bass is definitely much more pronounce than CKX especially bass guitar. The bass has very nice texture and air rivaling a DD bass. Treble can be quite splashy on the attack but not on the decay.
The Aria and AST share a kinda similar sound signature imho. The Aria is quieter compared to the AST. The Aria is overall smoother without any noticeable harshness whereas the AST has those peak on the treble that can annoy some people, but so far no sibilance. The bass is where the Aria differ from the AST. The mid bass is more elevated on the AST.
What about soundstage and detail retrieval? Any impression you can share relating it to ZSX and ZAX?

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #55,489 of 63,917
What about soundstage and detail retrieval? Any impression you can share relating it to ZSX and ZAX?
Can you test dynamic?

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #55,490 of 63,917
Soundstage is quite big, less airy than the ZAX. Detail retrieval is very good. On some tracks, the instrument separation is quite apparent and the placement can be very different if you compare it to a single DD like Aria.

My favorite track for soundstage and the AST sounds awesome.

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #55,491 of 63,917
Soundstage is quite big, less airy than the ZAX. Detail retrieval is very good. On some tracks, the instrument separation is quite apparent and the placement can be very different if you compare it to a single DD like Aria.

My favorite track for soundstage and the AST sounds awesome.

Can't wait for your updated version of how the AST ranks against your other IEMs. Waiting for mine here, I'll probably only get it by the end of this week unfortunately.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #55,492 of 63,917
So I just listened to my BA10 for comparison with the AST, they share almost the same sound characteristic where the vocal/mid take a step back a bit in the mix where the newer KZ (ZS10pro and newer) tend to have a forward/in your face vocal/mid in the mix. Even though the vocal is not as forward, but it is very clear and detailed.
I can say that the AST is a more direct successor of the BA10 line (all BA) instead of the ZS10pro line (hybrid).

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #55,493 of 63,917
So I just listened to my BA10 for comparison with the AST, they share almost the same sound characteristic where the vocal/mid take a step back a bit in the mix where the newer KZ (ZS10pro and newer) tend to have a forward/in your face vocal/mid in the mix. Even though the vocal is not as forward, but it is very clear and detailed.
I can say that the AST is a more direct successor of the BA10 line (all BA) instead of the ZS10pro line (hybrid).
Some reviewers say that the ZSX has vocals/mids more recessed when compared to the ZS10 Pro. Therefore, if that's true and if you agree with that statement, would you say that the AST has its vocals/mids similar to the ZSX? I mean, if you already had the chance to compare both IEMs. Thanks,

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #55,494 of 63,917
Some reviewers say that the ZSX has vocals/mids more recessed when compared to the ZS10 Pro. Therefore, if that's true and if you agree with that statement, would you say that the AST has its vocals/mids similar to the ZSX? I mean, if you already had the chance to compare both IEMs. Thanks,
The AST is darker than the ZSX. The sound is more fun than flat, but the details and clarity is very good.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #55,496 of 63,917
Are you using the stock cable or did you change it?
I am using silver cable from KBear. Also, the silver cable that came with the AST is different than any silver cable from KZ previous iem.
20210607_171324.jpg
The new cable is thicker and has metal 3.5mm jack.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #55,497 of 63,917

A sonic successor to my beloved BA10? Sign me up!

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #55,498 of 63,917
the silver cable that came with the AST is different than any silver cable from KZ previous iem.
Nuts!!! :astonished: #KZProgressHype

AST green is finally in stock!! At HiFiGo, at least. Mine shipped today ^ ^ They will battle Tri Starsea lol.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #55,500 of 63,917
Long time no KZ :)
I think the last ones I bought were the AS16 and the Terminator ZSX ...
now I am seeing 20 (ASX) / 24 (AST) BA monsters, 7BA+1DD hybrids (ZAX) ... and that 3DD DQ6 looks kinda nice, the ASF looks bulky for 'only' 10 units

Which brings me back to an old question / suggestion ... has anyone ever set up like a fan wiki for KZ stuff? It really would be neat to see what was released when, what's the set up, what 'line' they belong to ... and maybe some generic review links or 'consensus is these as sparkly'

But I think I am really done chasing after the latest greatest cluster of BAs .. at what number is it silly? I find 24 is kinda getting there.

I think I will 'just' get the AZ09 dongles with the DQ6 this time around ... the ZAX kinda tickles my fancy, but can it be THAT much better than the ZSX?
Do I 'need' the EDX? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back