Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #52,441 of 63,942
Actually, this is probably the best question regarding comparisons and here is why.
The BA10 and ASF are very much alike while simultaneously they are very different.

Sounds like doublespeak so I'll be more specific.

How are the BA10 and ASF alike?

a) bass texture, decay and cleanliness
b) the presentation balance between low, midrange and upper frequencies. In other words their relation to each other. For example, on a scale of 1 to 5 the bass level would be 4, midrange level would be 4 and the treble level would be a 3. This is true on both the BA10 and the ASF.

How are the BA10 and ASF different?

a) with the BA10 you are at a concert positioned several rows back from the stage and you're hearing the performers as you are seeing the performers. In other words you see the performers onstage as a group from left to right.
b) with the ASF you are at the same concert but you are actually on stage with performers surrounding you. They are close in and are performing for you and you alone.

Someone referred to Breaking Benjamin earlier so I'll use that track.

Here, the lead singer and all band members are practically staring you down as if to say "check me out" or "can you feel me?".
It's pretty cool, actually.

In an earlier post I commented on Sade's "Mr. Wrong". and Federico Aubele's "Postales". I enjoy both presentations equally but the difference is that the ASF delivers a more emotional presentation because the instruments and vocals are more forward and individually highlighted. It's a one on one experience as opposed to the BA10's equally impressive but less directions approach.

I think the differences are due more to the housing design of the BA10 vs the ASF. For the last two years I've wondered what the BA10 would sound like with similar tuning if KZ designed an in-ear that employed the internal acoustic structure found in the AS10. I did not want to try the AS10 due to its elevated mid-bass punch but if I could get an AS10 without the mid-bass punch I'd be all over it. Again, I don't own the AS10 but it seemed to me that directing those frequencies through ducts/channels would increase the focus. That is the way I hear the ASF. Direct and focused delivery as opposed to taking everything in as a whole. With the ASF I am in the forest admiring the character of each tree. With the BA10 I am admiring the forest from a slightly further vantage point.

On some recordings the ASF sounds natural and amazing. On Sade's "Mr. Wrong" the percussion on the left and drums on the right (at 56 seconds) sound very natural. I found that the following tracks convey a good sense of emotion on the ASF.

on other recordings the internal acoustic structure can overcook the upper midrange frequencies. It depends on the dynamics of the recording. With some electronic tracks you can definitely hear the digital processing in the recording.

The ASF shares the same weakness that the ZS3 has, namely that the sound being channeled through a tube can sometimes exacerbate a peaky upper midrange.

I need to spend more time with the ASF for classical and rock genres so the jury is still out on compatibility there, for me.

Personally, I'd put the BA10 and ASF on equal footing being mindful of their respective strengths and weaknesses.

The BA10 would be less controversial for folks who seek "air" via treble extension (despite the ASF and BA10 similarities). I wouldn't call the ASF "airy" but I wouldn't call the ASF "congested" either. It's simply a one-on-one performance that works for me.

You see the ASX/ASF use some tubing + molding where the older KZ only use a molding.

Nov 11, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #52,442 of 63,942
Hey did you try out the DMP-A55 software mod by MrWalkman yet?
Yes, I'm currently running it. The mod is awesome! Made the NW-A55 my current favorite DAP under $200.
So, I don't know... There is an ear cannal differences or something?
Can very well be the case. IEMs are very sensitive to canal length and the distance from the source to the DRP (drum reference point). However, the super-early treble roll-off is very evident in all four measurements I've seen so far including KZ's own ones (which are accurate to a degree for a change).
My guess is it all boils down to the output impedance of whatever source these people are using.
The Sony player likely has a higher than nominal output impedance (even their flagship players has 2/3ohm z-out) but the other two players I used: LG G7 (1ohm) and Cowon Plenue R2 (0.6 ohm) shouldn't have any impedance mismatch issues.
You see the ASX/ASF use some tubing + molding where the older KZ only use a molding.
If I'm not mistaken the ASF/ASX doesn't use the usual physical cross-over via internal tubes/waveguides. Rather KZ has put in a 3D printed driver chamber and placed the drivers inside the chamber. There is no tubing that extends until the nozzle, to be specific.

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #52,443 of 63,942
Yes, I'm currently running it. The mod is awesome! Made the NW-A55 my current favorite DAP under $200.

Can very well be the case. IEMs are very sensitive to canal length and the distance from the source to the DRP (drum reference point). However, the super-early treble roll-off is very evident in all four measurements I've seen so far including KZ's own ones (which are accurate to a degree for a change).

The Sony player likely has a higher than nominal output impedance (even their flagship players has 2/3ohm z-out) but the other two players I used: LG G7 (1ohm) and Cowon Plenue R2 (0.6 ohm) shouldn't have any impedance mismatch issues.

If I'm not mistaken the ASF/ASX doesn't use the usual physical cross-over via internal tubes/waveguides. Rather KZ has put in a 3D printed driver chamber and placed the drivers inside the chamber. There is no tubing that extends until the nozzle, to be specific.
On the ASX, I can see the tubing on some drivers (not all). I couldn't see anything on the ASF because I got the black version.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #52,444 of 63,942
CCA CA16 is very tricky, it took me extra $30 to experiment with the eartips to get the best sound...

I used CP800 Spinfit, believe it or not the sound rivaled Westone W60...

Is it just me, or are the CP800 Spinfit tips sized for a much smaller nozzle than the CA16? I can get CP100 on the CA16 no problem, but not the CP800.

I'm in Canada, if that makes any difference.

Nov 11, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #52,445 of 63,942
Is it just me, or are the CP800 Spinfit tips sized for a much smaller nozzle than the CA16? I can get CP100 on the CA16 no problem, but not the CP800.

I'm in Canada, if that makes any difference.

yep, it takes me about 2 minutes to put it in... but you will be "WOW!!!" see my illustration on my other comment

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #52,446 of 63,942
ASF only $43 now.
Wish I would’ve waited, but I just couldn't do it! :unamused:

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #52,447 of 63,942
tôi đã nhận Zax với giá 43 usd
Các bác sĩ cho biết thêm:
MVIMG_20201110_172514.jpg

Nov 11, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #52,449 of 63,942
Actually, this is probably the best question regarding comparisons and here is why.
The BA10 and ASF are very much alike while simultaneously they are very different.

Sounds like doublespeak so I'll be more specific.

How are the BA10 and ASF alike?

a) bass texture, decay and cleanliness
b) the presentation balance between low, midrange and upper frequencies.
In other words their relation to each other.
For example, on a scale of 1 to 5 the bass level would be 4, midrange level would be 4 and the treble level would be a 3. This is true on both the BA10 and the ASF.

How are the BA10 and ASF different?

a) with the BA10 you are at a concert positioned several rows back from the stage and you're hearing the performers as you are seeing the performers. In other words you see the performers onstage as a group from left to right.
b) with the ASF you are at the same concert but you are actually on stage with the performers surrounding you. They are close in and are performing for you and you alone.

Someone referred to Breaking Benjamin earlier so I'll use that track.

Here, the lead singer and all band members are practically staring you down as if to say "check me out" or "can you feel me?".
It's pretty cool, actually.

In an earlier post I commented on Sade's "Mr. Wrong". and Federico Aubele's "Postales". I enjoy both presentations equally but the difference is that the ASF delivers a more emotional presentation because the instruments and vocals are more forward and individually highlighted. It's a one on one experience as opposed to the BA10's equally impressive but less direct approach.

I think the differences are due more to the housing design of the BA10 vs the ASF. For the last two years I've wondered what the BA10 would sound like with similar tuning if KZ designed an in-ear that employed the internal acoustic structure found in the AS10. I did not want to try the AS10 due to its elevated mid-bass punch but if I could get an AS10 without the mid-bass punch I'd be all over it. Again, I don't own the AS10 but it seemed to me that directing those frequencies through ducts/channels would increase the focus. That is the way I hear the ASF. A direct and focused delivery as opposed to taking everything in as a whole.

With the ASF I am in the forest admiring the character of each particular tree.
With the BA10 I am admiring the forest from a slightly further vantage point.

On some recordings the ASF sounds natural and amazing. On Sade's "Mr. Wrong" the percussion on the left and drums on the right (at 56 seconds) sound very natural. I found that the following tracks convey a good sense of emotion on the ASF.

On other recordings the internal acoustic structure can overcook the upper midrange frequencies. It depends on the dynamics of the recording. With some electronic tracks you can definitely hear the digital processing in the recording.

The ASF shares the same weakness that the ZS3 has, namely that the sound being channeled through a tube on the ZS3 and "internal acoustic structure" on the ASF can sometimes exacerbate a peaky upper midrange.

I need to spend more time with the ASF for classical and rock genres so the jury is still out on compatibility there, for me, but personally, I'd put the BA10 and ASF on equal footing being mindful of their respective strengths and weaknesses.

The BA10 would be less controversial for folks who seek "air" via treble extension (despite the ASF and BA10 similarities). I wouldn't call the ASF "airy" but I wouldn't call the ASF "congested" either. It's simply a one-on-one performance that works for me.

Dynamite answer man; thanks so much for the help :)

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #52,451 of 63,942
so another thing i noticed about my asf's ia that when i listen from my laptop they sound a lot better than from my phone
much wider soundstage and even better instrument seperation
im going to buy a fiio m3 pro soon unless something better at this price comes out and update my impressions

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #52,452 of 63,942
so another thing i noticed about my asf's ia that when i listen from my laptop they sound a lot better than from my phone
im going to buy a fiio m3 pro soon unless something better at this price comes out and update my impressions

Are you just using the headphone out jack on your laptop?
Your phone might have a high output impedance.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #52,454 of 63,942
which player do you use on the phone? if you didn't try it before i strongly suggest onkyo hf player, it suits my ZAX like anything else and it's much better than foobar2000 on my laptop with bang & olufsen audio.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #52,455 of 63,942
I'm looking for some cables to go with my KZ's (and my KBEAR Lark which is on it's way) and I was looking around on Ali due to 11/11 as it has some very tempting discounts on some KBEAR cables.

They look good but
A: I've never shopped on Ali
B: I'm not that familiar with the brand
So my question is should get some or pass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back