Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 4, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #51,526 of 64,810
Now vocals...sound horrible. IMO. whether it’s male or female. vocals sound like they’re pushed to the back, while the instruments take the lead on all the songs.

Well that's just strange. Instruments are the most prominent in the mix, yes, but I wouldn't call vocals overly recessed; even on tracks where there's a lot going on, vocals are always perhaps just a step back from the drums and guitars for me.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #51,527 of 64,810
The ZAX is kinda different than other KZ I've tried. The bass usually tamed down after some hours, but the ZAX actually got more punchy with time (it might be my ears has adjust to its bass). I am quite surprise that the vocal is pushed back because when I first got it, the vocal is the one that stands out to me.

Yea I don’t know why but the vocals aren’t making an impact. At least compared to what I’m used to. But maybe a few hours of listening will adjust everything.
Everyone has a favorite pair of headphones, I think the ZS10 Pro are always going to be mine lol.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #51,528 of 64,810
Well that's just strange. Instruments are the most prominent in the mix, yes, but I wouldn't call vocals overly recessed; even on tracks where there's a lot going on, vocals are always perhaps just a step back from the drums and guitars for me.
Agreed. Not overly pushed back but I can hear a noticeable difference compared to my other KZs.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #51,529 of 64,810
Was contemplating on whether I should replace the batteries in the Z1 since battery life has degraded to the point where it's no longer useful for me. I do like how they fit and how fun they sound, so thought it would be a shame to just chuck them away. Decided to go the other route instead and convert it to wired. Had a pair of QKZ VK4 with channel imbalance so took the 2pin connector from that and used it on the Z1 instead. Worked out pretty well. Sound signature I can't say for sure since it has been a while since I listened to them in TWS form, and I kinda forgot to compare it before I converted both sides. But I think it is mostly similar with perhaps slightly less bass and leaner sounding lower mids? haha.

:joy:

hMgs5Ys.png

Oi6rf6F.jpg

z4Yf1os.jpg

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #51,530 of 64,810
My ZS5 v1 lose bass (around 40Hz range) in the left side. Is there any quick fix without opening it up? If it needs to be open, could it be an easy fix?

I am not sure if it is because I drop it to plastic floor at few days ago when replacing cables, or yesterday I use KZ Starline tips the air pressure kills it, it have some "eee" sound when I plug in and again some "eee" remove it within 5 mins of listening.

Do the ZS5 v2 sound similar?

Or it is time to move on to ZAX?

Thanks

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #51,531 of 64,810
My ZS5 v1 lose bass (around 40Hz range) in the left side. Is there any quick fix without opening it up? If it needs to be open, could it be an easy fix?

I am not sure if it is because I drop it to plastic floor at few days ago when replacing cables, or yesterday I use KZ Starline tips the air pressure kills it, it have some "eee" sound when I plug in and again some "eee" remove it within 5 mins of listening.

Do the ZS5 v2 sound similar?

Or it is time to move on to ZAX?

Thanks
Lets go!!

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #51,533 of 64,810
Lets go!!

I agreed with voicemaster, I decided to keep ZAX, now mostly I am listening with ZAX with low volume. I used to crank my music up... Now, I really appreciate ZAX, on low volume, the clarity is superb, airiness, it's just pleasant to listen to, but if I want to crank it up, thumping it down, I have to change my IEM.

also got TRN BTS20 Pro, hopefully, it will not be too long in shipment.

Sigh, I thought I could just have one good all rounder IEM... that's not possible... :p, also waiting the new TRN V90s, hopefully much better than BA5

Oct 5, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #51,534 of 64,810
Very good points.

Tips can make a huge difference for fit, seal and tuning.

I do have my "drawer" of tips. :)

Having some technical experience with woodwind acoustic, especially clarinet barrels (talk about weird collections...), my preferred way way with the tips is to restrict minimally at the tips using wide bores, such as Spiral dots and similar.

I found for the narrow tip bores, the insertion depth starts to matter more (what is observed in measurements with couplers), so it is more sensitive in how it works.

Foam tips do not bode well with me.

Listening volumes also matter, as it was noted here.
I listen at low volumes, so treble is more tolerable (the Fletcher–Munson curves) and ZAX is more preferable to CA16.
At higher volumes it can be reversed. (My model case is Final E3000 - at my usual listening volumes, it is all about midbass... But then trying higher volumes, I can at least appreciate what others like about E3000 :))

CA16 is definitely appreciably dampened by some filters based on its sensitivity values compared to ZAX and other KZ/CCA.

If treble is too much, it is always possible to dampen it with different foams - this site is a great resource for a practical advice on such DIY projects.:clap:

Dampening to your tastes is always easiee than to " undampen", IMO.

thanks, I have done what you told me, NOW I appreciate ZAX more, at low volume... it's SUPERB, even with stock tip.I get rid the Comply, it hurts my ear and so uncomfortable.

However for Rock genres, thumping Hip Hop, I have to change my IEM. for Jazz, blues, ballad, classical... it's heavenly on low volume. 10/10

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #51,535 of 64,810
I agreed with voicemaster, I decided to keep ZAX, now mostly I am listening with ZAX with low volume. I used to crank my music up... Now, I really appreciate ZAX, on low volume, the clarity is superb, airiness, it's just pleasant to listen to, but if I want to crank it up, thumping it down, I have to change my IEM.

also got TRN BTS20 Pro, hopefully, it will not be too long in shipment.

Sigh, I thought I could just have one good all rounder IEM... that's not possible... :p, also waiting the new TRN V90s, hopefully much better than BA5

I'm sticking with my Shozy Form 1.1 over the ZAX, but I had 100% the same feeling and this is an important distinction. I REALLY liked the ZAX for lower volume listening (music and podcasts too).

I was thinking this earlier, but personally I think it would be really cool if an EQ adjusted based on volume (either in software or in HW via DAP). Does this exist and I just don't know it?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #51,536 of 64,810

try this one for ZAX at low volume versus any other IEM, it will tell you how good ZAX is. I AM AMAZED

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #51,537 of 64,810
thanks, I have done what you told me, NOW I appreciate ZAX more, at low volume... it's SUPERB, even with stock tip.I get rid the Comply, it hurts my ear and so uncomfortable.

However for Rock genres, thumping Hip Hop, I have to change my IEM. for Jazz, blues, ballad, classical... it's heavenly on low volume. 10/10

Why low volume? just use gentle EQ and enjoy your product.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #51,538 of 64,810
image.jpg

how I moded my ZS10 Pro to match ZAX sound profile minus the airiness.

very close to. i still think ZAX more like a side upgrade. ZS10 Pro can be like ZAX with a bit effort in modification, with molded silicone that I made, it dampen the treble and clarify the forward a bit more if you see it by making the nozzle smaller.

i thought the same principle will work here from CP800. And it is exactly right, it improves the sound profile by much. But if you have extra $20, please just buy the ZAX, time spent modding it more than $20...

ZAX with all stock cable and tips, already good.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #51,539 of 64,810
Why low volume? just use gentle EQ and enjoy your product.

not sure, no matter how many times I played with treble EQ, it never sounded good at all

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #51,540 of 64,810
Yea I don’t know why but the vocals aren’t making an impact. At least compared to what I’m used to. But maybe a few hours of listening will adjust everything.
Everyone has a favorite pair of headphones, I think the ZS10 Pro are always going to be mine lol.
+1 for the ZS10 PRO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back