Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #50,551 of 63,917
is there a list of KZ's which have undocumented revisions? I have had enough of buying a KZ, and then finding out that a subsequent revision has made substantial changes which make it sound nowhere like the originals.
First was the ZS1, and now its the ATE. Both had glowing reviews about their bass, but their subsequent versions seem to have neutered them. Anything else i should watch out for?

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #50,552 of 63,917
is there a list of KZ's which have undocumented revisions? I have had enough of buying a KZ, and then finding out that a subsequent revision has made substantial changes which make it sound nowhere like the originals.
First was the ZS1, and now its the ATE. Both had glowing reviews about their bass, but their subsequent versions seem to have neutered them. Anything else i should watch out for?

ATE actually had 5 (and I think 6) revisions! It was easily the KZ model with the most revisions.

KZ also just recently changed the cables many of their fixed cable models use.

Off the top of my head, there’s been sound tuning and/or driver revisions to at least the following

ZS1 (2 versions)
ATE (5-6 versions)
ED9 (2 versions)
ZST (2 versions)
ZS5 (2 versions)
ZS6 (3 versions)

I also seem to remember a revision to the ATR, but I could be wrong.

The list above doesn’t cover any cable, packaging, or accessory changes.

But in almost every case, KZ has made changes for the better. I don’t really see that as a bad thing.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #50,554 of 63,917
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #50,555 of 63,917
Does this mean the current zs5/6 have bearable treble? The reviews said it was way too harsh

I don’t know about the ZS5, but the ZS6 absolutely. I actually liked the ZS6, even thought it was way too much for some people. But assuming you get a ZS6 from fresh stock, then yes the treble is dialed way down compared to what it was.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #50,556 of 63,917
My CCA CA16 arrived today. Which given the state of USPS right now quite surprised me. Ordered them barely two weeks ago.

First impression is... Huh. They have quite the punchy bass. Almost a bit too much. But while the bass can be a bit overbearing, it's not coming at the expense of the rest of the sound spectrum. It's weird, I had in-ears with similar punchiness before. But there a bass thump basically drowned out all the rest. Not with these. I will say tho that more straight up techno beats do become a bit tiring pretty quickly with those. Surprisingly, the smallest silicone tips that came with them actually fit my tiny, overly sensitive ear canals. So that's a welcome plus. After using the Starfield and the AS16 a lot, they do seem rather... Flimsy in terms of weight and build quality. They sound pretty good tho.

Overall they won't replace the Moondrop Starfield as my go-to all-rounder. But they're a nice addition for some specific genres. And they certainly sound more interesting than the AS16.

Now, I did get a 2.5mm balanced TRN cable with .75mm connectors for them that also arrived today. But I made the mistake of ordering one that lacks the... Sleeve? So now I worry that if I use them with that cable, a careless yanking might just break the connectors clean off. I did order a "sleeved" .75mm cable too after realizing my mistake. Guess I'll wait for that...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #50,557 of 63,917
I don’t know about the ZS5, but the ZS6 absolutely. I actually liked the ZS6, even thought it was way too much for some people. But assuming you get a ZS6 from fresh stock, then yes the treble is dialed way down compared to what it was.
I liked the ZS5 (both versions). I still use them now and again.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #50,558 of 63,917
#Z1
Been using Z1 for a month and love it. It has met my expectations of sound quality, usability, battery life (however little I expected :D) but what I didn't expect is the static during songs. I get used to it after a while but if the songs starts/ends quiet or I switch from a different headset it's very noticeable. Have other owners also encountered this? I'm using an audiophilic music source (/s) combination of iPhone and Spotify with eq so maybe that could be at fault but I'm not noticing any static with other headphones :|

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #50,559 of 63,917
I really like the new CA16 myself. At first mine was bass light until I played it in for 10 or so hours then the Dynamic started really opening up but its like Sebasistan wrote above its not overbearing. Its definitely present and accounted for but doesn’t infringe on higher frequencies and the nice detail I can hear. I enjoy all the CCA iems I have, not a bad one in the bunch I don’t believe!

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #50,560 of 63,917
#Z1
Been using Z1 for a month and love it. It has met my expectations of sound quality, usability, battery life (however little I expected :D) but what I didn't expect is the static during songs. I get used to it after a while but if the songs starts/ends quiet or I switch from a different headset it's very noticeable. Have other owners also encountered this? I'm using an audiophilic music source (/s) combination of iPhone and Spotify with eq so maybe that could be at fault but I'm not noticing any static with other headphones :|

Took second read to understand your problem, but i think you are referring to hissing problem right? Hissssssssssss... Sounds during quiet track? Yes the Z1 have hissing problem, mine also very noticeable hissing. You are not alone.

Jul 30, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #50,561 of 63,917

I bought a ZS6 from fresh stock and they took the treble down enormously. The OG ZS6 with the amazing 'piercin' highs that the high frequency police hated is one I'm still looking to buy. Have never heard a soundstage so good.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #50,562 of 63,917
I bought a ZS6 from fresh stock and they took the treble down enormously. The OG ZS6 with the amazing 'piercin' highs that the high frequency police hated is one I'm still looking to buy. Have never heard a soundstage so good.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the new one, and much prefer the original one.

However, for those that are treble sensitive, the current ZS6 is definitely an option to consider.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #50,563 of 63,917
Now, I did get a 2.5mm balanced TRN cable with .75mm connectors for them that also arrived today. But I made the mistake of ordering one that lacks the... Sleeve? So now I worry that if I use them with that cable, a careless yanking might just break the connectors clean off. I did order a "sleeved" .75mm cable too after realizing my mistake. Guess I'll wait for that...

Are you talking about QDC /C type connectors? click on the link which says "The difference between KZ/CCA's Para A, B, and C cables" in @Slater 's sig above

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #50,564 of 63,917
Are you talking about QDC /C type connectors? click on the link which says "The difference between KZ/CCA's Para A, B, and C cables" in @Slater 's sig above

Yeah, that. I have Para A, I need Para C.

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #50,565 of 63,917
I got the KZ Z1, and its gone straight to the top of my list. It has ZS7 +amped+bass boost levels of bass - which is Exactly what i was looking for.
if only the highs were better - probably will need to wait for a hybrid version of it.
I know this sort of tuning gets a lot of flak around here, but it's what I love.
I will wait for the next revision where KZ will use a newer, stabler wireless chipset and a BA driver (and hopefully not reduce any of that monster bass - KZ- DO NOT LISTEN to the feedback for once and neuter this one like the ZS1 or ATE. The Average TWS user is more of a typical customer, and not an audiophile - people who want neutral tuning should probably cough up for the CX10 or something)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back