Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 22, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #50,521 of 63,907
An exciting development!
Now eagerly anticipated is a logical culmination of the series: ZSN Pro XXX (may come rated only for very mature audiophiles)
:ksc75smile::L3000::ksc75smile:

I'm waiting for ZSX Pro and of course ZSX Pro X!!! :joy:

They just implement the new 10mm XUN driver everywhere huh?

But the matte dark knight color option looked cool

I'm not sure how different this will be compared to the ZST X though. it's like the same driver setup? Or will the metal nozzle have a noticeable change to the sound? but i'm probably not going to try and find out. shall wait for others to try first haha

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #50,522 of 63,907
I'm waiting for ZSX Pro and of course ZSX Pro X!!! :joy:

I'm not sure how different this will be compared to the ZST X though. it's like the same driver setup? Or will the metal nozzle have a noticeable change to the sound? but i'm probably not going to try and find out. shall wait for others to try first haha

Maybe no so v shaped tuning like zsn pro? (Not so v shaped in kz dictionary)

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #50,523 of 63,907
They just implement the new 10mm XUN driver everywhere huh?

But the matte dark knight color option looked cool

This dynamic looks different than the XUN.

The XUN is really just a space saving trick if you study the driver design closely. The top is funnel shaped, to make extra room for batteries or BAs etc in TWS and uber multi-BA earphones.

This driver looks like an actual performance change. Shortening the excursion should in theory make the bass faster (although moving less air).

Either way, the new color looks pretty hot so I went ahead and ordered one.

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #50,524 of 63,907
Love the look of the matte black but I'll wait until November.

My CCA CA16 still has the new car smell, my ZSX just got detailed and the CVJ CSA got new rims.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #50,525 of 63,907
That sucks.

That sucks.

I have 5 diff sets of KZ products including the ZSX and aside from the crap battery life and weak BT connection on the KZ S2 they're all fine (knock on wood).

The only real issue I've ever had in the short time I've bought Chi-Fi IEMs was with the Macaw GT600s from Drop. The sound in the left IEM was very faint. After seeing a comment on Drop recommending sucking on the ear tip because the driver had prob caved in I gave it a try and that solved the problem weird as it may sound.

I would contact the KZ store. Of course with the nightmare that is Covid shipping, sending them back and/or waiting for replacements will be brutal.

Two AExpress orders I made on May 1st just arrived in Canada on July 18....

I've contacted the KZ store on AliExpress, and today they asked for a video of the problem. Hopefully the loud buzzing is audible in a recording.

At least they're offering a warranty claim, but this is gonna be a pain with COVID shipping times. My original ZSX order took over two months to arrive, so I'm probably looking at a 5-6 month turnaround, and I bet I'll be paying out of my pocket to send them back.

I'll take KZ up on the warranty, but BLONs on Amazon are looking pretty good to me right about now.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #50,526 of 63,907
Extreme bass distortion sounds like it could be the dynamic driver’s diaphragm is crinkled.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but switching the cables actually made it way worse, so I'm starting to think it may be related to the 2 pin cable input on the IEM.

I wasn't expecting any difference in sound when I switched from the silver upgrade cable, but the stock ones sounded like the bass was noticeably heavier. Maybe that's why they made the issue even worse. Dunno.

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #50,527 of 63,907
So we can expect ZS10 Pro X, ZS7 X (that would be nice) and ZSXX next!

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #50,529 of 63,907
I think X is considered an inauspicious symbol in chinese lore. Maybe KZ's are having a laugh on us :)

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #50,530 of 63,907
I was almost buying the ZSN Pro X because of the looks as well, but double-checking the ad I saw this pic:

KZ-ZSN-Pro-X-Metal-Earphones-1BA-1DD-Hybrid-technology-HIFI-Bass-Earbuds-In-Ear-Monitor.jpg

In this render picture, there's a gold nozzle and gold screw, which I think it's a bit tacky compared to the full black so I'll wait to see some IRL pics before buying it, and probably they'll give some discount later anyway.

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #50,531 of 63,907
I'm so disappointed - after excitedly watching my mailbox for two months, my new ZSX abruptly developed extreme bass distortion on the right side after only a month of light indoor use. I couldn't have logged more than twenty hours on these.

I've had countless $5-10 Chinese IEMs over the years and they'd just develop shorts after half a year or so, but a driver would never just outright fail like this. I'm very disappointed, because I really liked how these sounded but there's no way I'm dropping more money on another ZSX that may fail in a matter of weeks. So I guess this is goodbye.

I switched from the silver upgrade cable to the original and the distortion only got worse. You can hear the buzzing from a couple feet away.

I bought them the official KZ store on AliExpress. Is anyone here from the USA who's used their warranty? I'm assuming that it entails mailing them back to China at my expense.

Are these known for poor QC, or did I just get unlucky? My ZSTs are still fine after four months.

That sucks :frowning2:

I have the ZSX and ZSN Pro and they're solid after a year or so.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #50,532 of 63,907
Perhaps KZ could team up with Moondrop and we could have the KZ KXXXX!

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #50,534 of 63,907
I was almost buying the ZSN Pro X because of the looks as well, but double-checking the ad I saw this pic:

KZ-ZSN-Pro-X-Metal-Earphones-1BA-1DD-Hybrid-technology-HIFI-Bass-Earbuds-In-Ear-Monitor.jpg

In this render picture, there's a gold nozzle and gold screw, which I think it's a bit tacky compared to the full black so I'll wait to see some IRL pics before buying it, and probably they'll give some discount later anyway.
All the other pics show a black nozzle and screw. Maybe this was a mistake.

Jul 23, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #50,535 of 63,907
That sucks :frowning2:

I have the ZSX and ZSN Pro and they're solid after a year or so.

Yeah, I guess I just got unlucky. My ZSTs are holding up great, though they don't sound anywhere near as good as the ZSX.

This is the most I've paid for a "budget" IEM, and it just so happens to be my very first pair with a failed driver. It's disheartening and makes me hesitant to pay more than like $20 again for Chi Fi.

Too bad, cuz I've been planning to eventually buy Moondrop Starfields, but QC for budget Chinese headphones seems pretty sketchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back