Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 23, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #48,016 of 63,916
Well I’m ready to get on board for the ZSX based on your enthusiasm and confidence in them. Thank you
The C12 have slightly more forward upper Mids and the ZSX have better separation. Personally I prefer the ZSX

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #48,017 of 63,916
Indeed. I've been using Neutron for years, and its really quite excellent. They also just did another significant update just recently that's improved it significantly and added some nifty new features. Ive been considering getting one of those DAC dongles to see if I'd experience an improvement in audio fidelity, but honestly I'm skeptical if I would after this last Neutron update. Ive been listening to some of of my FLACS in 32/384 and they sound absolutely fantastic on my S10+.
The recent new feature is the All to DSD mode that converts flac into DSD before sending it out correct? What other features are new? I only recently started using it. Also do you use the default UI colors or did you customize it? I'd like to see some examples of nice color combos haha

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #48,018 of 63,916
Wonder if that BLON 03 stomps KZ.

I've burned in the BL-03 and listened for at least 30 or 40 hours now. They are excellent, but the microdetail and treble extension in the highest octaves can't quite best the CCA C12. No "stomping" here, but the BLONs are definitely more relaxed and natural. The carbon nano driver in the BLON gives excellent timbre and pretty good imaging performance, although I find the imaging of the C12 to be more precise. I use both IEMs every day for different purposes. I sold my ZS10 Pro to a close friend because the C12 provided a good technical upgrade and got rid of about 80% of that "steely" sound meme that gets talked about here.

I think comparing the BL-03 to the hybrid/multi BA KZs is like comparing apple and oranges though. They each have their weaknesses and strengths.
I haven't received my BL-03, but the single DDs like BL-03 will usually have better timbre than the hybrids/multi BAs. And usually the latter will excel better at details and clarity/instrument separation than a single DD.
So I guess it really depends what kind of sound signature and music genre u prefer, as @steviewonderbread says.

Haha if u are subscribed to this thread, the only solution is to buy both!

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #48,020 of 63,916
The recent new feature is the All to DSD mode that converts flac into DSD before sending it out correct? What other features are new? I only recently started using it. Also do you use the default UI colors or did you customize it? I'd like to see some examples of nice color combos haha

Yeah, the All to DSD, Bit-Perfect Playback, Oversampling, and I think a few other things were recently added. It was only after this last update on Android that playing my music at 32/384 became possible. In the past I usually stuck to 24/96 or 192, because whenever I had tried 32/384 with any of my IEMs, the volume was really low, needed to be turned up all the way to even get it decently loud, and there were many instances of background noise, like static crackling that weren't present otherwise. However, all that seems to be gone now! So they must have fixed/improved something. All the albums I've listened to so far sound very good. The background is very clear and black. No hissing or crackling. And volume level is much better.
And no, Ive actually been using the plain black background all this time lol. I prefer it really. Its the easiest on my eyes. I don't mind the basic color scheme, so I've stuck with it.

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #48,021 of 63,916
I sold my ZS10 Pro to a close friend because the C12 provided a good technical upgrade and got rid of about 80% of that "steely" sound meme that gets talked about here.
KZ, please, oh, please start making smooth sounding iems. Do it for our hearing!

Smaller companies are doing it already and you're probably the biggest Chifi company.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #48,022 of 63,916
I’ve only owned one hybrid (ikko oh1) and I found it to lack a touch of coherency between the bass and the rest of the response, though they were a great buy otherwise including comfort and build. Kinda weary of hybrids for that reason but I’m always open to recommendations.
Then, I second the C12. ...excellent coherency between the bass and the rest of the frequency! :wink:

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #48,023 of 63,916
Yeah, the All to DSD, Bit-Perfect Playback, Oversampling, and I think a few other things were recently added. It was only after this last update on Android that playing my music at 32/384 became possible. In the past I usually stuck to 24/96 or 192, because whenever I had tried 32/384 with any of my IEMs, the volume was really low, needed to be turned up all the way to even get it decently loud, and there were many instances of background noise, like static crackling that weren't present otherwise. However, all that seems to be gone now! So they must have fixed/improved something. All the albums I've listened to so far sound very good. The background is very clear and black. No hissing or crackling. And volume level is much better.
And no, Ive actually been using the plain black background all this time lol. I prefer it really. Its the easiest on my eyes. I don't mind the basic color scheme, so I've stuck with it.
I do like the stock look a lot, but I've been experimenting with different colors. This one one I made that I think looks pretty good
Ksn0LqU.jpg

gTmExq5.jpg

ppscrU3.jpg

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #48,025 of 63,916
I've burned in the BL-03 and listened for at least 30 or 40 hours now. They are excellent, but the microdetail and treble extension in the highest octaves can't quite best the CCA C12. No "stomping" here, but the BLONs are definitely more relaxed and natural. The carbon nano driver in the BLON gives excellent timbre and pretty good imaging performance, although I find the imaging of the C12 to be more precise. I use both IEMs every day for different purposes. I sold my ZS10 Pro to a close friend because the C12 provided a good technical upgrade and got rid of about 80% of that "steely" sound meme that gets talked about here.
+1 100% behind your statement! I too, listen to both the BLON BL03 and the C12 for different purposes as well!:thumbsup:

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #48,026 of 63,916
Please can you explain why or what KZA provides and C12 provides that makes them different.
Both the ZSX and C12 sound great. They sound very similar and use literally the same drivers. The bass sounds the same between them. The C12 sound more energetic and the ZSX sound more laid back. The C12 is more forward around 2-5khz, raising perceived detail but is less relaxing than the ZSX.

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #48,027 of 63,916
+1 100% behind your statement! I too, listen to both the BLON BL03 and the C12 for different purposes as well!:thumbsup:
They are good compliments, a really good dynamic and a really good hybrid depending on what you are feeling

Sep 24, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #48,029 of 63,916
The C12 is more energetic with greater balance and details, while the ZSX sounds more relaxed and not as detailed. C12 has deep and quick bass punch, while ZSX has deep low rumble bass, but not as quick. This is probably do to the way they are built differently, though they incorporate the same drivers.

-Clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back