Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 23, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #47,971 of 63,951
Wow, I go to bed and wake up to find there has been angst and drama. I just love listening to Chi-Fi and watching (I should really say listening) as they race after the big boys of audio and get pleasantly surprised along the way

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #47,972 of 63,951
I’m not really sure where to put this but I’m already on this thread so here goes. Companies need to stop with the custom-like “bump” on universal models. It doesn’t add much in securing the fit and more often than not just gets in the way. I’ve had to resell otherwise good iems because I can’t even wear them without discomfort after 20 minutes.

As for many other aspects in this hobby, that's not true for everyone.
For me, that bump makes the ZSR much more comfortable than the ZST. The ZSR stays snug in the ear, i can do anything and they won't move, thus it wont rub atound.
Meanwhile, with the ZST i have to reseat them every now and then, and by moving quite a bit, they also get a bit irritating over long listening sessions.

For me, i'd like them to use it on more models (but maybe making the shells one or two mm smaller would be a good thing).

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #47,973 of 63,951
If I may suggest, you better stay away from KZ altogether because you already have that perception that it will be just another KZ that it gonna suck so whatever we say, you will just deny. Better to just move on to other brands and never look back. You happy, others happy, all is well.
That's a good idea. However, in the distant future when KZ comes out with an iem I buy I will have other brands to compare the new KZ to.

I will then be able to make a better educated decision if the sound quality is any good.

IE: BQEYZ, Audiosense and maybe Tin Audio, TFZ, etc. I heard Dunu is also good?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #47,978 of 63,951
As for many other aspects in this hobby, that's not true for everyone.
For me, that bump makes the ZSR much more comfortable than the ZST. The ZSR stays snug in the ear, i can do anything and they won't move, thus it wont rub atound.
Meanwhile, with the ZST i have to reseat them every now and then, and by moving quite a bit, they also get a bit irritating over long listening sessions.

For me, i'd like them to use it on more models (but maybe making the shells one or two mm smaller would be a good thing).
To each his own. And good point, the bump would work better on relatively smaller shells. I also don’t use iems while physically active so I am biased there.

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #47,979 of 63,951
Any KZ recommendations for a smooth sound like the AS10 but with better treble extension? The graphs of others look a bit peaky which worries me. That said, the AS10 seems to be effected fairly easily from source and amp changes so perhaps I’ll just use brighter gear to lighten it up.

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #47,980 of 63,951
Sep 23, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #47,981 of 63,951
Any KZ recommendations for a smooth sound like the AS10 but with better treble extension? The graphs of others look a bit peaky which worries me. That said, the AS10 seems to be effected fairly easily from source and amp changes so perhaps I’ll just use brighter gear to lighten it up.
CCA A10 would be close to this description. All-BAs, the treble is extended.

AS10 are still unique, my first love in IEMs, still listen to them with their a bit grainy sound and gently rolled-off highs, nice for some older recordings. AS10 is quite source sensitive indeed. My DAP is fairly bright/clinical, works well for me.

Now, I got CCA C12 - really great (!!), the highs are perhaps one of the best in KZs/CCA and catered to those who do not like "steely" :)

So you may consider getting C12 (or similar KZ ZSX) as the latest step in KZ/CCA development (and their progress is mighty, that what I love about them).

Here is some comparison, I put few month ago that may be helpful:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/com...z-as10-kz-ba10-and-more.910849/#post-15059493
I may update this comparison with KZ AS12, ZS10 pro and C12 one day.
While trying to do comparisons with C12, got caught with just enjoying music rather than typing :)

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #47,983 of 63,951
@DjAgetarou Red pin goes on the right earpiece, white on the left. The blue dot on the pin has to face towards the back of the earpieces (at least on the ZSR). Try this test to check the left/right are properly wired, and this other test to check if you plugged the pins backwards by mistake.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #47,984 of 63,951
CCA A10 would be close to this description. All-BAs, the treble is extended.

AS10 are still unique, my first love in IEMs, still listen to them with their a bit grainy sound and gently rolled-off highs, nice for some older recordings. AS10 is quite source sensitive indeed. My DAP is fairly bright/clinical, works well for me.

Now, I got CCA C12 - really great (!!), the highs are perhaps one of the best in KZs/CCA and catered to those who do not like "steely" :)

So you may consider getting C12 (or similar KZ ZSX) as the latest step in KZ/CCA development (and their progress is mighty, that what I love about them).

Here is some comparison, I put few month ago that may be helpful:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/com...z-as10-kz-ba10-and-more.910849/#post-15059493
I may update this comparison with KZ AS12, ZS10 pro and C12 one day.
While trying to do comparisons with C12, got caught with just enjoying music rather than typing :)
Killer thread you got there, I appreciate the effort. The C16 seems mighty nice.

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #47,985 of 63,951

Users who are viewing this thread

Back