Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #40,261 of 63,919
Thanks for letting us know. I know a few of us have been wondering about these.
I never tried the ZS3, or ZS4, so can't compare these models.
Also, I realized that I might've been a little inaccurate when I described the ZS3E as bassy. It's not that the bass is overpowering or anything - it actually sounds nice and punchy.
There's no trace of sibilance, which is always good news with KZ IEMs.
Sorry, I'm really bad at describing sound. But from what I can hear, I think these might be quite good for metal and it's quicker subgenres.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #40,262 of 63,919
I never tried the ZS3, or ZS4, so can't compare these models.
Also, I realized that I might've been a little inaccurate when I described the ZS3E as bassy. It's not that the bass is overpowering or anything - it actually sounds nice and punchy.
There's no trace of sibilance, which is always good news with KZ IEMs.
Sorry, I'm really bad at describing sound. But from what I can hear, I think these might be quite good for metal and it's quicker subgenres.

The ZS3e uses the same 8mm liquid crystal diaphragm as the ZS4. I really like the bass of the ZS4. It’s clean and punchy. I think I’ll give the ZS3e a try next time I see it on sale cheap.

How would you describe the treble? Just do the best you can to describe it in plain English terms if at all possible.

Is it hard to hear the treble, like it’s far away? It is really powerful and shrill, like how it kind of hurts your eyes when looking directly into the sun? Does it sound muffled, like there is a blanket over the speaker?

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #40,264 of 63,919
Sorry for spamming, my previous post got burried real quick! Just wanna know, do ZS10s hooked up to an iPod touch 5th gen need an amp? If so, what would you recommend between zishan z1 and walnut v2s?
My limited answer won't be simple.
On one hand, ZS10 sounds OK with simple sources, such as smartphones (Samsung S9 in my case), and does not have background hiss, like AS10.
On the other hand, with my limited sources, ZS10 sounded bass heavy and with rolled-off highs. Those, who enjoyed ZS10, mentioned that it benefits from amping.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #40,265 of 63,919
Sorry for spamming, my previous post got burried real quick! Just wanna know, do ZS10s hooked up to an iPod touch 5th gen need an amp? If so, what would you recommend between zishan z1 and walnut v2s?

I don't have an ZS10, but I do have an iPod Touch 5G that I use from time to time. Believe it or not, the iPod Touch 5G is very respectable (spec wise). And that's from the headphone jack, not using a lightning adapter.

You can check out the in depth analysis: https://kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

With that said, some gear does improve even more with amplification. It doesn't mean it wouldn't sound good with just the iPod Touch 5G though.

@B9Scrambler did mention the low end of the ZS10 tightens up with amplification: https://thecontraptionist.blog/2018/05/08/kz-zs10-chaos/

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #40,266 of 63,919
The BAs are located in front of the DD bass driver. Since it's glued into place, you'd have to try and cut out the large DD driver without damaging it. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
At first I thought it would be quite a thrill and a breeze opening up the ZS6. I imagined using tweezers to remove excess glue or gunk or whatever and that's it. But then the thought of wielding a Torx screwdriver and successfully lifting the plate off without the tip skiddding and not scratching anything, quite daunting in itself, made me pause and think. What more if re-wiring or soldering is needed?

Further reflection also points to the possibility, however remote, that indeed the green one may have a different tuning. Or that if there's some sort of electrical screw-up there could be no better people to make it right than my husband or even better yet his friends.

I'll leave the ZS6 be in the meantime as I focus on the AS06. It seems to be growing on me.

Thanks for the help and walkthrough advice, @Slater. You're tops. :thumbsup: :kissing_heart:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #40,267 of 63,919
Nice to see some people loving ZSN.

Fun fact is, zst reveived some hate back in the days. And after ABing. Zsn has more mid treble, and treble extension than zst. It gets faster in the upper registers as a consequence. The bass, i am not sure. But zdn seems to get little more impact. Overall the Zsn is a more agressive and resolving zst.

This earpgoeas is one of my top recommendation for those who doesn't have problems with treble

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #40,268 of 63,919
Hi, I've been lurking for the pass few weeks/months and I'd like to post my impressions for the CCA C10 which I've just received. I'll be comparing them to my BGVP DMG (default filters), which I've been using for the past month or so. All comparisons will be made using only the default filters of the DMG. Please pardon me if my impressions seem lacking or off, as I'm still just starting out in the hobby. I'll just be trying to describe my own personal impressions based on my limited knowledge and experience.

Source:
Huawei Mate 20 Pro - Tempotec Sonata HD

Music Source:
Spotify Premium (I'm finding it difficult to find free FLAC)

Songs:
Swing Swing - Move Along - All American Rejects (I've found that these two All American Rejects songs are great for V shaped iems, but perform badly when it's more neutral)
Dirty Little Secret - Move Along - All American Rejects
Sk8r Boi - Let Go - Avril Lavigne (I usually use it for checking out sibilance)
Dreams (Remastered) - 50 Years - Don't Stop Album - Fleetwood Mac
Stars - 10th Anniversary Les Miserables - Philip Quast
Misery Business - RIOT! - Paramore
Ocean Avenue - YELLOWCARD - Yellowcard
Breathe (2 AM) - Wreck of the Day - Anna Nalick

OOTB here are my impressions:
Lows:
C10 is definitely more boomy than the DMG. DMG wins in details and instrument separation. Kick Drum is more defined in the DMG, but still noticeable for the C10. I think bass is more drawn out in the C10 compared to the DMG, that's why it feels boomier.
Mids:
Vocals feel more forward in the C10. DMG still feels more detailed than the C10, like I can hear more instruments more clearly. The opening portion in Misery Business, where Hayley says something about the snare is quite clearer in the DMG, where I actually got surprised and looked around the room as it felt like someone was talking to me.
Highs:
C10 is more elevated here, not sure if muddy is still the correct term, but sometimes the instruments feel very crowded. Since the C10 is more elevated, it makes some songs sound much more fun and livelier, although it's more prone to treble peaks. Sibilance is actually better controlled compared to the DMG, although I never encountered any treble peak issues with the DMG.

Conclusion:
On some songs, the C10 is way more fun to listen to over the DMG. I dunno, but it seems more of a W rather than a simple V, as the vocals sound much more forward compared to the DMG. The DMG is closer to being neutral, has more detail across the spectrum, has better instrument separation, and is also 3 times more expensive. As they're both hybrids, I think the DD in the DMG has more detail, but tends to be punchier, which quicker delay compared to the C10. When it comes to mids and highs, the notes feel a bit... clipped(?) in the C10. The notes feel slightly more drawn out in the DMG, which just sounds smoother and more natural, but this also tends to making it sound more sibilant as it makes the 'sss' sound feel slightly too long.

I would recommend the C10 to those who are just starting their audiophile journey, and feel that 100 USD is still too expensive.

For non-audiophiles, I think the ZSN (which I also had for a few weeks, but long since sold to an officemate) is a better recommendation, as it's cheaper than the C10, has a similar signature (with a more recessed mid, more elevated treble), similar shape and comfort.

Some updated notes: Post #40436

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #40,269 of 63,919
My limited answer won't be simple.
On one hand, ZS10 sounds OK with simple sources, such as smartphones (Samsung S9 in my case), and does not have background hiss, like AS10.
On the other hand, with my limited sources, ZS10 sounded bass heavy and with rolled-off highs. Those, who enjoyed ZS10, mentioned that it benefits from amping.

Yeah, it's kinda thin on my phone that's why I'm mostly using my iPod touch for music playback. On Kenrockwell's website, it was seen that the iPod touch is able to drive 32 ohm headphones easily, which has the same impedance as the ZS10 which makes me think twice about buying an amp. But reviews mostly say that it definitely benefits from amping, which makes me wanna buy lol

I don't have an ZS10, but I do have an iPod Touch 5G that I use from time to time. Believe it or not, the iPod Touch 5G is very respectable (spec wise). And that's from the headphone jack, not using a lightning adapter.

You can check out the in depth analysis: https://kenrockwell.com/apple/ipod-touch-5g/audio-quality.htm

With that said, some gear does improve even more with amplification. It doesn't mean it wouldn't sound good with just the iPod Touch 5G though.

@B9Scrambler did mention the low end of the ZS10 tightens up with amplification: https://thecontraptionist.blog/2018/05/08/kz-zs10-chaos/

I was able to check both sites which further tortures me! Kenrockwell says that the iPod is capable enough of driving 32ohm headphones, but the reviews say that it benefits amps. I'm really on the point of just getting the Walnut V2S and get over it (already in the "place order" segment of the checkout lol). I'm just not sure if it really needs it. I could be dishing out ~$20 for nothing lol!

Do you have similar impedance/spec'ed cans you could try to see if amping it with the iPod does anything?

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #40,270 of 63,919
Hi, I've been lurking for the pass few weeks/months and I'd like to post my impressions for the CCA C10 which I've just received. I'll be comparing them to my BGVP DMG (default filters), which I've been using for the past month or so. All comparisons will be made using only the default filters of the DMG. Please pardon me if my impressions seem lacking or off, as I'm still just starting out in the hobby. I'll just be trying to describe my own personal impressions based on my limited knowledge and experience.

Source:
Huawei Mate 20 Pro - Tempotec Sonata HD

Music Source:
Spotify Premium (I'm finding it difficult to find free FLAC)

Songs:
Swing Swing - Move Along - All American Rejects (I've found that these two All American Rejects songs are great for V shaped iems, but perform badly when it's more neutral)
Dirty Little Secret - Move Along - All American Rejects
Sk8r Boi - Let Go - Avril Lavigne (I usually use it for checking out sibilance)
Dreams (Remastered) - 50 Years - Don't Stop Album - Fleetwood Mac
Stars - 10th Anniversary Les Miserables - Philip Quast
Misery Business - RIOT! - Paramore
Ocean Avenue - YELLOWCARD - Yellowcard
Breathe (2 AM) - Wreck of the Day - Anna Nalick

OOTB here are my impressions:
Lows:
C10 is definitely more boomy than the DMG. DMG wins in details and instrument separation. Kick Drum is more defined in the DMG, but still noticeable for the C10. I think bass is more drawn out in the C10 compared to the DMG, that's why it feels boomier.
Mids:
Vocals feel more forward in the C10. DMG still feels more detailed than the C10, like I can hear more instruments more clearly. The opening portion in Misery Business, where Hayley says something about the snare is quite clearer in the DMG, where I actually got surprised and looked around the room as it felt like someone was talking to me.
Highs:
C10 is more elevated here, not sure if muddy is still the correct term, but sometimes the instruments feel very crowded. Since the C10 is more elevated, it makes some songs sound much more fun and livelier, although it's more prone to treble peaks. Sibilance is actually better controlled compared to the DMG, although I never encountered any treble peak issues with the DMG.

Conclusion:
On some songs, the C10 is way more fun to listen to over the DMG. I dunno, but it seems more of a W rather than a simple V, as the vocals sound much more forward compared to the DMG. The DMG is closer to being neutral, has more detail across the spectrum, has better instrument separation, and is also 3 times more expensive. As they're both hybrids, I think the DD in the DMG has more detail, but tends to be punchier, which quicker delay compared to the C10. When it comes to mids and highs, the notes feel a bit... clipped(?) in the C10. The notes feel slightly more drawn out in the DMG, which just sounds smoother and more natural, but this also tends to making it sound more sibilant as it makes the 'sss' sound feel slightly too long.

I would recommend the C10 to those who are just starting their audiophile journey, and feel that 100 USD is still too expensive.

For non-audiophiles, I think the ZSN (which I also had for a few weeks, but long since sold to an officemate) is a better recommendation, as it's cheaper than the C10, has a similar signature (with a more recessed mid, more elevated treble), similar shape and comfort.
You mentioned "I'd like to post my impressions for the CCA C10 which I've just received" on your very first sentence.

Some advice:
You should try burning them in (or consistantly play in a loop/or white noise) the C10 for at least 100 hours before giving a full review like the one above. They do start to change and actually tend to sound better after past 20 hours for a short given impression. Thereafter, a full review would be more consistant and accurate as the one above.

For example, the bass starts to get tighter and stage presence starts to get wider after 20 hours. By the time it reaches 100 hours bass is really tight and accurate, vocals are incredibly realististic, and details are pristine and clear with no harshness or sibilance, whatsoever!

Hope this gives you some idea on your next review(s) since you mentioned that you are a new head-fier. :wink:

-Clear

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #40,271 of 63,919
You mentioned "I'd like to post my impressions for the CCA C10 which I've just received" on your very first sentence.

Some advice:
You should try burning them in (or consistantly play in a loop/or white noise) the C10 for at least 100 hours before giving a full review like the one above. They do start to change and actually tend to sound better after past 20 hours for a short given impression. Thereafter, a full review would be more consistant and accurate as the one above.

For example, the bass starts to get tighter and stage presence starts to get wider after 20 hours. By the time it reaches 100 hours bass is really tight and accurate, vocals are incredibly realististic, and details are pristine and clear with no harness or sibilance, whatsoever!

Hope this gives you some idea on your nest review(s) since you mentioned that you are a new head-fier. :wink:

-Clear

Thanks for replying Clear, I actually bought the C10 coz of your initial impressions.

Yupz, I'm actually letting it run the cascade burn-in for now and I'll be checking it out a few days from now to try and compare it with the DMG's again. I'm not sure about the existence of burn in, but I'm of the opinion it doesn't hurt to add my initial impressions of it first before burn in so that people who listen only from OOTB and don't believe in burn in will have an idea as to what to expect. I guess I wasn't too clear with regards to sibilance, but to make things less ambiguous, I meant to say that so far, I haven't encountered any sibilance with the C10s (better controlled than DMG, where I it does happen), but I did encounter some instances wherein the treble peaked a bit too high while listening randomly in Spotify.

After a few days, I'll update my initial review to post any changes I may or may not notice with regards to the SQ of the C10. :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #40,272 of 63,919
The ZS3e uses the same 8mm liquid crystal diaphragm as the ZS4. I really like the bass of the ZS4. It’s clean and punchy. I think I’ll give the ZS3e a try next time I see it on sale cheap.

How would you describe the treble? Just do the best you can to describe it in plain English terms if at all possible.

Is it hard to hear the treble, like it’s far away? It is really powerful and shrill, like how it kind of hurts your eyes when looking directly into the sun? Does it sound muffled, like there is a blanket over the speaker?

I'd say the treble is quite vivid, but without being too shrill. No trace of sibilance. It also seems to be fairly well extended. Saxophone and cymbals sound really nice and clear in some of the jazz songs I tried.
The AliExpress shop I bought my pair has the ZS3E on sale for USD 8,85.
Link: https://bit.ly/2Rucv9N

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #40,273 of 63,919
Thanks for replying Clear, I actually bought the C10 coz of your initial impressions.

Yupz, I'm actually letting it run the cascade burn-in for now and I'll be checking it out a few days from now to try and compare it with the DMG's again. I'm not sure about the existence of burn in, but I'm of the opinion it doesn't hurt to add my initial impressions of it first before burn in so that people who listen only from OOTB and don't believe in burn in will have an idea as to what to expect. I guess I wasn't too clear with regards to sibilance, but to make things less ambiguous, I meant to say that so far, I haven't encountered any sibilance with the C10s (better controlled than DMG, where I it does happen), but I did encounter some instances wherein the treble peaked a bit too high while listening randomly in Spotify.

After a few days, I'll update my initial review to post any changes I may or may not notice with regards to the SQ of the C10. :)
One thing I noticed besides a wider soundstage is that after 20 plus hours was where it started surrounding me with better frontal stage and depth and by 100 hours the higher details are so pristine and clean and I could not hardly understand why I haven't dealt with any harshness or sibilance. I have a hunch that it could be the placement of the BA's and dynamic drivers, plus the crossover board somewhat different from the KZ's ZS10. It's true! At first it starts off sounding like a ZSN prototype, but then it blossoms to a premium IEM.

I'm looking forward to your second review on the DMG. Sounds also like a keeper! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #40,274 of 63,919
One thing I noticed besides a wider soundstage is that after 20 plus hours was where it started surrounding me with better frontal stage and depth and by 100 hours the higher details are so pristine and clean and I could not hardly understand why I haven't dealt with any harshness or sibilance. I have a hunch that it could be the placement of the BA's and dynamic drivers, plus the crossover board somewhat different from the KZ's ZS10. It's true! At first it starts off sounding like a ZSN prototype, but then it blossoms to a premium IEM.

I'm looking forward to your second review on the DMG. Sounds also like a keeper! :thumbsup:

That'll be something I'll be trying to pay more attention after 100 hours, and I'm excited for it to become even better, as it's already quite good for the price imo.

I dunno if I'll post my impressions of the DMG as I'm using it as a point of reference, but maybe in the future I'll post one in the DMG thread. :)

Thank you again Clear for the feedback, I really appreciate it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back