Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #38,986 of 63,952
Agreed...
*grabs popcorn*
Yes unfortunately audiophilia is like a religious cult. There really is no sense in arguing with them.

Would be better to debate abortion or creationism or politics.

I Love KZ though. We can all agree about that.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #38,987 of 63,952
Yes unfortunately audiophilia is like a religious cult. There really is no sense in arguing with them.

Would be better to debate abortion or creationism or some.
True....... Personal Preferences.. thats all..
I believe if we can make iems sound much better than they are supposed to.. at that price point..
Why not...

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #38,988 of 63,952
I’m from an artsy family and chose drumming to pursue, in my world EQ-ing is never used. Artists use paint musicians use sound to create atmosphere and rhythm. Don’t erase the artists vision with random EQ experimentations. An engineer and artist worked very hard to sculp the sound they present....don’t tag it with EQ.

So lemme ask you this...

Hypothetically speaking, pretend you make a song with 2 notes only:

1. B8 on a violin (which is 7.9kHz), recorded at a 10dB level
2. G7 on a guitar (which is 3.1kHz), recorded at a 5dB level (half the volume of the violin note)

Well, let's say I have age related hearing loss, corresponding to a -5dB loss at everything above 7kHz. I'm not hearing your song as you intended, because I am hearing both notes at the same volume. To truly hear your music as you intended, I need to use EQ and add +5dB above 7kHz. THEN (and only then) will I hear your song as you intended.

Make sense?

Now take that same example, but instead pretend I have no age related hearing loss. However, in this example, I am using a set of headphones that have an odd tuning by the manufacturer - an artificial spike of +5dB @ 3kHz. When I listen to your song using those headphones, I am still not hearing your song as you intended. The guitar will be the same loudness as the violin, because it is being artificially boosted/colored by the headphone tuning. The good news is that I can use EQ to reduce the 3kHz spike by -5dB. Then, and only then, would I hear your song exactly as you intended.

See the value of EQ now? Most of us don't generally use EQ with the intent of "messing up" artists' music. Rather, most of us use EQ to correct flaws in our individual hearing or to recalibrate gear that has been artificially colored by manufacturers.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #38,990 of 63,952
Amen to that! I also don't use EQ, I think that's part of the reason I have so many headphones. I like collecting and hearing all the different sound signatures as the manufacturer wanted them to be heard, not how I want them to sound.
I wish I knew how to uae the EQ on my Zishan Z1. Until then, I concur.

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #38,991 of 63,952
i never had a DAP, so i wonder which one is a better choice ? Zishan Z2, Benjie S5 or the LG V10/20 (yes its "old", but affordable enough and its a phone, my current one is so-so anyway)
A cell phone is not a "DAP", it's a wutcha-mah-call-it of everything. So the Zishan Z2 is the best choice.

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #38,993 of 63,952
A cell phone is not a "DAP", it's a wutcha-mah-call-it of everything. So the Zishan Z2 is the best choice.

If a DAP has no screen, it would never be the best choice or even a choice for me. I have 200 and 400 GB sd cards in some of my daps and I only listen to full albums. How in the world would I find my albums? Best for one person is not always best for another.

I do agree that a phone is not a DAP... especially mine as I only have a button cell phone... not a smart phone. I have other devices for other things.

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #38,994 of 63,952
I got the same problem a week ago. I'd recommend exactly like @Slater said. I've made this video showing the same problem comparing w/ the TRN V10's sleeve/ground pin:

After I've sent it to the seller he offered me $8 refund or return it to China and get a replacement. I got this $8 then I bought a new cable.

That's a sweet video and post, thanks!!! I think I'm going to suck up the money (take the loss) it cost for the KZ copper-silver mix cable and just move on to other ones. This is "too much" work for me and I don't have equipment for it either.

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #38,995 of 63,952
If a DAP has no screen, it would never be the best choice or even a choice for me. I have 200 and 400 GB sd cards in some of my daps and I only listen to full albums. How in the world would I find my albums? Best for one person is not always best for another.
Sorry, I'm a bad person to respond then. I would suggest the Zishan Z3 (same sound as Z2, I hear) but mine broke under a year (needs to be re-soldered), so don't go there... I would like a DAP with a screen as well, but my others need to break first. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #38,997 of 63,952
I’m from an artsy family and chose drumming to pursue, in my world EQ-ing is never used. Artists use paint musicians use sound to create atmosphere and rhythm. Don’t erase the artists vision with random EQ experimentations. An engineer and artist worked very hard to sculp the sound they present....don’t tag it with EQ.

M7 is going back....anybody use Hiby or Hidiz DAPs?
Maybe I’ll grab a Hidiz. AP60 Pro.........1) must use ESS SABRE DAC and 2) be able to receive and convert Bluetooth so I can enjoy Spotify!

Don’t forget to grab a BA10 and listen to how its tuned so perfectly.....totally worth every cent.

Not sure what artsy world you are from. In my world as a former professional trumpet player, EQ was not used either (symphony orchestra). For other genres, EQ is heavily used to compensate for the acoustics of the venue.

However, EQ used in the world of playback is not supposed to sculpt the sound. It is supposed to correct defects in the reproduction chain to get closer or as close as possible to listening to the recording the way it was recorded. A quick analogy would be for a photographer to calibrate his video monitor to reproduce the colors accurately.

That said, many people do not actually use EQ that way at all, so you make a valid point.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #38,998 of 63,952
That's a sweet video and post, thanks!!! I think I'm going to suck up the money (take the loss) it cost for the KZ copper-silver mix cable and just move on to other ones. This is "too much" work for me and I don't have equipment for it either.

Can you just turn the plug around on 1 of the sides? You can redo the ear guide the other way if needed - bend the memory wire the other way or if it's the pre-formed soft type you heat it with a hair dryer and remold it.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #38,999 of 63,952
I'm a musician, and would completely disagree 100% with the anti eq stance that most audiophiles hold.

Also as a musician I could care less what someone who has paid their money does with my music. They can lay it on the ground and crap all over it for all I care.

Say user "A" Is using Beats headphones to listen to music, and user "B" is listening to the same music on his/her Monk + earbuds. What happens to that carefully sculpted sound the artist and engineer produced? Which one is right and which one is wrong. What if your song is a song with heavy bass and the monk + doesn't have any bass? Is it a mortal sin to eq some bass into it?

Sorry but not buying it.

It's like being a gourmet and looking down on people who put steaksauce on their steak or a sushi chef who is furious you dare have the gall to use soysauce on your nigri sushi.

I just recently use equalizer APO on my pc and I use it for my JVC fx1100. I EQd it to sound like the ZSN, crisper treble, more punch in bass, less mid and low bass hump. It now sounds like ZSN on steroid although still lose in that low bass impact the ZSN has.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #39,000 of 63,952
By asking a simple question (why do you use EQ), I started an EQ is bad/EQ is good war...
Gotta love forums :p

You all answered my question: choice is good!
Simple enough ^^

Yea. My bad. All my fault. Non eq enthusiast have all the right in the world to consume music however they like. Music is very personal, and we all have our preference.

I only have a problem with the reasoning behind never using eq.
It makes no sense to me. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back