Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #37,156 of 63,963
Wait, PTSD after receiving mandatory minimum education lasts how long exactly? Can I hope it ends by 8th circle of wife hell?

It never ends...sob....

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #37,157 of 63,963
It certainly can! The BGVP BKYT MRY6 takes the award for crappiest product name of the century, lmao.

I dunno on that one. One of the Chinese Flashlight brands in trying to come up with something SureFire or StreamLight like actually went with "Uranusfire". Of all the things I do not want on fire, that has to come right at the top of the list.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #37,158 of 63,963
I am getting a ZSN review unit soon. Wonder how it'll be. Any impressions from anyone yet?

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #37,159 of 63,963
I am getting a ZSN review unit soon. Wonder how it'll be. Any impressions from anyone yet?
ooh interesting, ill be waiting for that review, my main grudge with the ZSN is the connector, only KZ does that connector for now which makes it proprietary

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #37,162 of 63,963

Still waiting on mine to arrive too.

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #37,163 of 63,963
Damn, I hope the treble is not as recessed as the KZ's own graph shows. Otherwise, ZSN looks pretty great. Though the usual #30095 BA is ever present. But a new 10mm DD. I guess it could be looked as an opponent of ZS4. Metal back plate and nozzle are interesting, but, on the other hand, more separate parts mean a larger risk for something breaking. Isolation is of interest, and sound quality, if it is to best the ZS4. Also, the cable is something to look at, given that ZS4 had a new cable.

Looking at the bigger picture, I'd love for KZ to do their research in a more focused, target-oriented manner, not just randomising various parts together and seeing what sells. But then again, for a budget Chi-Fi maker, maybe such incremental and still profitable at every step projects are better suited for them than Massdrop Plus-type endeavours.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #37,164 of 63,963
Damn, I hope the treble is not as recessed as the KZ's own graph shows. Otherwise, ZSN looks pretty great. Though the usual #30095 BA is ever present. But a new 10mm DD. I guess it could be looked as an opponent of ZS4. Metal back plate and nozzle are interesting, but, on the other hand, more separate parts mean a larger risk for something breaking. Isolation is of interest, and sound quality, if it is to best the ZS4. Also, the cable is something to look at, given that ZS4 had a new cable.

Looking at the bigger picture, I'd love for KZ to do their research in a more focused, target-oriented manner, not just randomising various parts together and seeing what sells. But then again, for a budget Chi-Fi maker, maybe such incremental and still profitable at every step projects are better suited for them than Massdrop Plus-type endeavours.

Just my quick look at it's FR promotional chart, it looks similar to the AS10's upper treble response -- assuming that it's a RAW graph. It better be or our ears are going to be in serious pain if that's compensated. lol

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #37,165 of 63,963
Just my quick look at it's FR promotional chart, it looks similar to the AS10's upper treble response -- assuming that it's a RAW graph. It better be or our ears are going to be in serious pain if that's compensated. lol
Yeah, maybe until 10kHz it's passable, but 10-20kHz are not visible in that graph. Unless these frequencies are right below that graph's floor, the roll-off is too severe.
The power of tuning on display, anyhow, since ZS4 has the same BA, but the treble response is hotter -
KZ-ZS4-Frequency-Response-Curve.jpg

HTB1Rl35XffsK1RjSszgq6yXzpXaj.jpg

But AS10 upper treble graphs are a mystery to me - Rtings.com and your graphs show noticeable cutoff after 14kHz, while ThePhonograph's shows no considerable upper treble difference between AS10 and ZS10 -
KZ-AS10-Frequency-Response-Curve.jpg

KZ-ZS10-Frequency-Response-Vent-Holes-Blocked.jpg

And that troubles me, because if I get ThePhonograph's AS10 I'd choose it over ZS10, but if not then the more consistent treble responses across graphs of ZS10 are preferable. Perplexing.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #37,166 of 63,963
Yeah, maybe until 10kHz it's passable, but 10-20kHz are not visible in that graph. Unless these frequencies are right below that graph's floor, the roll-off is too severe.
The power of tuning on display, anyhow, since ZS4 has the same BA, but the treble response is much hotter -

HTB1Rl35XffsK1RjSszgq6yXzpXaj.jpg

But AS10 upper treble graphs are a mystery to me - Rtings.com and your graphs show noticeable cutoff after 14kHz, while ThePhonograph's shows no considerable upper treble difference between AS10 and ZS10 -

And that troubles me, because if I get ThePhonograph's AS10 I'd choose it over ZS10, but if not then the more consistent treble responses across graphs of ZS10 are preferable. Perplexing.

KZ's graphic is photoshopped though. The curve has special effects, ultra smoothed, the "20K" is out of the grid. Probably this huge roll-off is a design mistake. I wouldn't take it seriously.

I've seen some ZSN's pics and it has another vent now compared to ZST:

O6GRfZ1.jpg

And as you've pointed out it uses the 30095 so, basically the same DNA at the treble like any KZ hybrid. I'd expect this ZSN to be an upgraded ZST with better bass and construction.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #37,167 of 63,963
KZ's graphic is photoshopped though. The curve has special effects, ultra smoothed, the "20K" is out of the grid. Probably this huge roll-off is a design mistake. I wouldn't take it seriously.

I've seen some ZSN's pics and it has another vent now compared to ZST:

O6GRfZ1.jpg

And as you've pointed out it uses the 30095 so, basically the same DNA at the treble like any KZ hybrid. I'd expect this ZSN to be an upgraded ZST with better bass and construction.
Yeah, vents I do not like, I guess ZSN won't be the basis of a last minute upheaval to my shopping list, namely by pushing ZS4 out.
But a lot of weird stuff happens, obviously first reviews will be the true test of that.

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #37,168 of 63,963
KZ BA10....weirdest thing I ever tried to fit in my ear but the sound quality continually blows me away.
I’ve never in my 60 years had trouble getting an iem to fit in my ears, it took awhile but I finally got a fit with good solid seal with these strange looking beasts. Fit is the big variable with these and even if you don’t believe in burn in you gotta let these play off a source for a day or two to tame the spikes in the higher frequencies.
Know that going in and you’ll probably be as shocked as I was at how clean and detailed these are but still musical with KZ type low end.
I’m probably leaning toward a basshead being a drummer since I was a tot but its present and accounted for with these if you can get a solid seal. I find reasons to listen to them, and costantly think $80 bucks bought me the supercar I always wanted but could layou $1200ish bucks for.
If the high end iem manufacturers aren’t taking KZ seriously they should be! Did the big guys blatantly rip off the public? I’ll never buy anymore super expensive iems, it can be done just as well for less and its being proven by several (fill in the blank here) manufacturing companies almost daily.
I love these ugly things, more each day, they really have me pumped about audio and music again.
I have smashed alot of cymbals and never wore earplugs while I played so I’ll spare you guys a tonal description of the BA10’s as it may be slightly askew.

Try em if you dig the kz sound, and somebody tell me when they put these in a more conventional shell...lol.
I’ll buy em again and try those too!

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #37,170 of 63,963
KZ BA10....weirdest thing I ever tried to fit in my ear but the sound quality continually blows me away.
I’ve never in my 60 years had trouble getting an iem to fit in my ears, it took awhile but I finally got a fit with good solid seal with these strange looking beasts. Fit is the big variable with these and even if you don’t believe in burn in you gotta let these play off a source for a day or two to tame the spikes in the higher frequencies.
Know that going in and you’ll probably be as shocked as I was at how clean and detailed these are but still musical with KZ type low end.
I’m probably leaning toward a basshead being a drummer since I was a tot but its present and accounted for with these if you can get a solid seal. I find reasons to listen to them, and costantly think $80 bucks bought me the supercar I always wanted but could layou $1200ish bucks for.
If the high end iem manufacturers aren’t taking KZ seriously they should be! Did the big guys blatantly rip off the public? I’ll never buy anymore super expensive iems, it can be done just as well for less and its being proven by several (fill in the blank here) manufacturing companies almost daily.
I love these ugly things, more each day, they really have me pumped about audio and music again.
I have smashed alot of cymbals and never wore earplugs while I played so I’ll spare you guys a tonal description of the BA10’s as it may be slightly askew.

Try em if you dig the kz sound, and somebody tell me when they put these in a more conventional shell...lol.
I’ll buy em again and try those too!

I thought the 5 x BA set up was the same as in the AS10? Do they sound similar? I own neither but will likely grab the AS10 soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back