Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #34,353 of 63,916
Hey, if listeners will use VE Monks with their AK240 and higher model DAPs, why shouldn’t people use their KZs with their $400 USD DAPs? :L3000:

that's not really the problem. The other poster wanted a suggestion for sub $100 DAPs. So you can see why suggesting a $400 model would be considered, unhelpful, to put it lightly.

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #34,354 of 63,916
that's not really the problem. The other poster wanted a suggestion for sub $100 DAPs. So you can see why suggesting a $400 model would be considered, unhelpful, to put it lightly.

Hmmm...I see. I guess I can make a recommendation, which is the Nintaus X10:

https://penonaudio.com/music-players/nintaus-x10.html?limit=100

Don’t forget to add a Penon Audio free gift (just a note that the X10 comes with decent earphones that don’t have detachable cables):

https://penonaudio.com/free-gift-for-5-years-anniversary.html

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #34,355 of 63,916
Listening to the es4's I just received.....def. they are less sibilant than zs5 for sure ( but anyway, I dont find zs5's overly trebley as most people say, for for me they sound perfect)

They sound good to me, zs5 in my opinion has better bass and instrument separation but thesthese es4 are really really great. Good bass, very good details on the highs because of the armature....

I'll keep using them since they are new and the sound may change.....

Jul 4, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #34,358 of 63,916
I received KZ ZSA that I ordered 2 weeks and it is my first BA equipped earphones in my life. I have never heard BA's before.
Did all the tests on audiocheck.net and seems to be wired properly and no mismatch between left and right drivers.

Initial impressions.

Not enough sub bass.
More revealing of highly compressed music.
Sound metallic when compared to dynamic drivers.
Could extract the inner detail that dynamic drivers fail to reproduce but it is not musical.
Cymbals are reproduced better than DDs.

So, from the inital impressions I don't think I would buy another BA equipped earphones unless this is a problem with ZSA. The FR of ZSA is actually on target and I don't think it is the issue.

A good recording and equipment should allow one to become entwined with the music and not stand in the way. KZ ZSA doesn't feel that way, too clinical.

I will post updates if my opinion changes with more listening.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #34,359 of 63,916
And if you want to avoid risk this, get the ibasso IT01...head and shoulders above the KZs and even hailed to be in a league with the $800 Sennheiser ie800. Got mine yesterday...blew me out of my boots. Fun tuning with a contagious, addictive sound signature. A keeper.
Shouldn't the IT01 be better than any KZ? It's a $100! My ED16 were $18 US and my ES4 $12.75 US. I guess it comes down to intelligence... do we invest in one amazing pair or give mediocre pairs? I picked the latter. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #34,360 of 63,916
do we invest in one amazing pair or give mediocre pairs? I picked the latter. :frowning2:

I like to have a variety to choose from. Not only with sound profile, but also with IEM functionality and price.

Sure, it’s nice to have an amazing pair of all-BA IEMs for critical listening at home on the couch. I can drive them properly with a bulky DAP and headphone amplifier stack. And they can have a thick bulky braided cable that’s worn behind the ear, and I wouldn’t mind.

However, I went kayaking today and used my $2.65 KZ EDR1 and iPod Nano 6G in a ziplock baggie. If I got them wet or lost them in the river forever, I would not have cared in the least. Did they sound as good as my expensive ones? No, but they sure sounded good enough for their use.

Same with working out. I want something sweat proof, and preferably Bluetooth. Do I need “amazing sound”? Nope.

Likewise, when watching a movie I don’t want to screw with something I have to wear behind the ears, of deal with memory wires. I just pop in my $25 MEMT T5 earpods and it’s done. If I need to get up or answer a family member’s question, they are fast and easy to just pop in and out. I also need something that sounds good when driven from a basic laptop. My expensive pairs do not fit that bill.

What if I want to take a nap with music? I want something small that disappears in my ear. A giant bodied IEM like KZ ZSR won’t do. Something small like the $15 MEMT X5 works perfectly. It sounds plenty good enough for sleeping, and works well at low volume.

So with my lifestyle, it would honestly be a big PITA to only have “1 amazing pair” and that’s it.

Do my numerous <$30 pairs - EDR1, X5, T5, modded BlitzWolf ES1, ZS6, ZSR, etc - sound as good as CA Andromedas? Uh, no. But they sure sound much better than average. I would not enjoy nor tolerate them if they sounded like dollar store garbage. But luckily they don’t.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #34,362 of 63,916
I want to buy an DAP less than $50 USD, is there any option, guys?

A number of options. I would ask on the obscure ChiFi DAP thread. They are the cheap DAP gurus over there :)

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #34,364 of 63,916

Users who are viewing this thread

Back