Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 24, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #28,531 of 63,966
I gotta ask...

Does the additional 0.3 Ohms really make a difference?

No clue.

I don't claim to have bionic space robot ears that can hear everything either - all of the upgrade cables I have sound basically the same to me.

I know others do hear differences in the cables. I'd say if you hear a difference, then it's real to you and I'm cool with that. Your ears are the only ears that really matter at the end of the day, right?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #28,532 of 63,966
What color washer gives me the tightest & fastest bass?

I've only tested FOUR (4) out of 43 possible filter combinations so far.

So unfortunately I don't have an answer for you yet :)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #28,533 of 63,966
Great work! Thanks! Whenever I rip one cable out and add the other, I have forgotten the previous sound signature to some extent. But the point is that there are obvious differences between cables.

I wonder whether the remote is the culprit as it is somewhat i in the way of the flowing electrons. No expensive cable has a remote or mic.

I can't speak to the microphone /control modules because nine out of ten times I order my IEMs without one.

....the point is that there are obvious differences between cables.

I'd be a bit more economical with the term "obvious" due to the subtlety of the variations involved. In addition, please remember that I used no scientific gear to determine whether or not what I was hearing was a drop in the volume due to the cable's impedance or a nominal decrease of the sub-bass. At any rate, if the subtle difference I noticed were to ever be verified then a hobbyist may indeed pick it up, but the term "obvious" can be easily misconstrued by someone seeking to alter the sound of his/her IEM. This then fuels debates and the accusations start to fly. In such cases precise terminology is warranted. I will always direct someone to sample different eartips and/or try a different source (DAP, etc) because those variables can augment an IEM's presentation to a greater degree than cable swapping ever could.

For a second time, I would like to defer to hakuzen in the matter of testing multi-driver IEM impedance curves and the effect that cables of various impedance/resistance have on said IEMs. I am, admittedly, wading out into deeper waters without a life-vest (not a good idea).

I prefer to state it this way:
....the point is that there may be very subtle differences between cables.

And now, a tender moment from our sponsor...
Best piece ever written for pianoforte since it was invented in the year 1700.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #28,534 of 63,966
The HDS3 sounds a bit more diffuse than the EDR1 or EDR2.

All three have different sound signatures :

HDS3 - mild "V" with what I would call a psycho-acoustic holographic soundstage. I say "psycho-acoustic" because 3-D is impossible to achieve with IEMs. Still my favorite old skool KZ.

EDR2 - near neutral with decent extension at both ends; average soundstage.

EDR1 - unashamedly "V" shaped with monster bass and decent extension up top. A little unrefined compared to KZ's newer crop but a ton of fun. These look identical to the EDSE but they are more brazen with that bass and slightly less splashy with the treble because it's slightly rolled off. I'm listening right now and the words that come to mind are fatigue-free, warm and engaging.. Unfortunately, the sellers themselves don't know if they're selling the EDR1 or EDSE so you have to luck-out if you're looking for them. I only have the one pair you see in the pic and they have a mic on the cable so I baby them. They only come out on special occasions.

Hey Doc, I wanted to revisit this topic after spending the day with the EDR1 and EDR2.

You are indeed correct on the EDR1 vs EDR2. They definitely sound different.

When I tested 2 days ago they sounded basically the same to me.

However, I noticed today that there were different tips on the EDR2. The EDR2 that KZ manufacturers now (and ships in the same small white box as the Bluetooth/upgrade cables) includes different tips that I've never seen before on a KZ IEM! They are all black and have a very small bore - sneaky sneaky KZ.

When I installed the same tips on both (ie the old style dark greyish ones with the red core), I immediately heard the difference between the 2.

EDR2 reminds me of the HDS3, but with the addition of filling in the sub bass that's lacking on the HDS3.

I prefer the EDR1. The EDR2 isn't bad per se, the EDR1 just suits my tastes more.

I looked down into the nozzle, and they appear to use the same drivers. The vent holes are in different spots, and the body of the EDR1 is longer. The EDR1 is noticeably heavier too.

Obviously there’s some sort of differences that affect the sound (likely the vent hole). I plan to fill the vent hole on the EDR2, and drill a new one of the same size and in the same spot as the EDR1. If the EDR2 magically starts sounding like the EDR1, then that mystery will be solved (and will give people a way to “convert” one into the other). If it still sounds different, then there is some internal difference (to the driver or housing).

Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #28,535 of 63,966
Hey Doc, I wanted to revisit this topic after spending the day with the EDR1 and EDR2.

You are indeed correct on the EDR1 vs EDR2. They definitely sound different.

When I tested 2 days ago they sounded basically the same to me.

However, I noticed today that there were different tips on the EDR2. The EDR2 that KZ manufacturers now (and ship in the same new style white box that the Bluetooth and upgrade cables come in) includes different tips that I've never seen before on a KZ IEM! They are all black and have a very small bore - sneaky sneaky KZ.

When I installed the same tips on both (ie the old style dark greyish ones with the red core), I immediately heard the difference between the 2.

EDR2 reminds me of the HDS3, but with the addition of filling in the sub bass that's lacking on the HDS3. Between the EDR1 and 2, I much prefer the EDR1. The EDR2 isn't bad, I just prefer the EDR1 between the two for a few reasons (not just the sound).

I looked down into the nozzle and from what I can see, they appear to use the same drivers. But the vent holes on the underside of the EDR1 is in a different spot than the EDR2. Also, the body of the EDR1 is longer than the EDR2. The EDR1 is noticeably heavier than the EDR1, so I'm not sure what's different (if anything) internally - I mean, the body is longer on the EDR1 for some reason.

Obviously there are some sort of differences that affect the sound (likely the vent hole). I plan to fill the vent hole on the EDR2, and drill a new one of the same size and in the same spot as the EDR1. If the EDR2 magically starts sounding like the EDR1, then that mystery will be solved. If it still sounds different, then there is some internal difference (to the driver or housing).

Stay tuned....

Also, the body of the EDR1 is longer than the EDR2.

I never really noticed that. You've a good eye there, Slater.
The EDR1 is noticeably heavier than the EDR1, so I'm not sure what's different (if anything)

The reason the EDR2 is heavier is because it is fashioned from a common alloy, whereas the EDR2 is fashioned from what seems to be a low grade aluminum.

Between the EDR1 and 2, I much prefer the EDR1. The EDR2 isn't bad, I just prefer the EDR1 between the two...

Likewise, I prefer the EDR1. The EDR2 is an excellent basic barrel budget bugle, but my preference is for more energy than neutral sound signatures provide. The EDR2 is better suited for someone that eschews roll-off or emphasis in the frequency ranges.

Going slightly off topic, I give my highest recommendation for the ZSR. It is almost as comfortable as the ZS3, which is hands down the most comfortable IEM if it conforms to your ear.

The ZSR is incredibly detailed though it never oversteps in any frequency range. It's almost laughable to try and nitpick what Knowledge Zenith have offered up for less than $30. Let that sink in for a moment. "Less than $30!"

Previously, I mentioned the roll-off of mid- to upper-bass and khighly made mention of the limited extension in the lower frequency range, but as I settle in with it......I have to say I think that KZ actually impressed me by parsing the difference between the ZS6 and the ZST/ES3 variants. I knew it would be more nuanced than the ZST/ES3 variants and less technical than the ZS6, but what I did not expect was something so innocuous and so capable all at once. The ZST has served as an everyday hero for many a KZ fan, but Knowledge Zenith has drawn a new line in the sand with the ZSR that the rest of the budget Chi-Fi market must now strive to compete with.

Is it any wonder that we collect these things like baseball cards?

The real question is "how far behind iBasso's IT03 is KZ's ZSR?"

Given enough time to evaluate the two IEMs side by side, I'm sure khighly will chime in with her own findings and this should be of great interest to all of us. I think so, anyway.

ZSR mono.jpg

Now, if KZ would stop with the teasing and release those white (and red) ZSR's.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #28,536 of 63,966
Good news! My KZ bluetooth module decided to show up today in the mail.

UN0kmHV.jpg

5s8e5Wz.jpg

Bad news: My ZS6 is semi-broken so I can't experience it :unamused:

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #28,537 of 63,966
The ZSR is incredibly detailed though it never oversteps in any frequency range. It's almost laughable to try and nitpick what Knowledge Zenith have offered up for less than $30. Let that sink in for a moment. "Less than $30!"

The real question is "how far behind iBasso's IT03 is KZ's ZSR?"

After all my cable testing I also compared the ZSR to the $399 UE900S...and was still so confused that I would have not been able in a blind test to figure out which one the cheapo and which one the expensive iem was. The ZSR really are quite something. I settled for the standard white low-impedance KZ silver.
cable. Hifi Chris filled me in that cables of different impedance have different effects on the sound depending on the impedance of the iem. For example, a higher impedance cable can increase brightness or darken the sound, depending on the iem.

As to the EDR1. I also prefer them over the EDR2 because they handle better (are more substantial) and they have a bit less bass. But the sonic differences between my EDR1 and EDR2 are small...and both are lots of fun.

Presently playing with the Focal Spark...they do have a punchy and very focused bass.

As to Johnny Bach: his keyboard music can cheer/shut me up. He always has three tunes on the go, simultaneously. There are great Canadian recordings by Angela Hewitt and the late Glenn Gould.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #28,538 of 63,966
I can't speak to the microphone /control modules because nine out of ten times I order my IEMs without one.

I'd be a bit more economical with the term "obvious" due to the subtlety of the variations involved. In addition, please remember that I used no scientific gear to determine whether or not what I was hearing was a drop in the volume due to the cable's impedance or a nominal decrease of the sub-bass. At any rate, if the subtle difference I noticed were to ever be verified then a hobbyist may indeed pick it up, but the term "obvious" can be easily misconstrued by someone seeking to alter the sound of his/her IEM. This then fuels debates and the accusations start to fly. In such cases precise terminology is warranted. I will always direct someone to sample different eartips and/or try a different source (DAP, etc) because those variables can augment an IEM's presentation to a greater degree than cable swapping ever could.

For a second time, I would like to defer to hakuzen in the matter of testing multi-driver IEM impedance curves and the effect that cables of various impedance/resistance have on said IEMs. I am, admittedly, wading out into deeper waters without a life-vest (not a good idea).

I prefer to state it this way:

And now, a tender moment from our sponsor...
Best piece ever written for pianoforte since it was invented in the year 1700.

had to Login just to say, that was nice piece of music. so calm...
good piano ing.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #28,539 of 63,966
Here is some vaporvawe i made, take a listen just for the fun of it. (this is best after work,chill sound)

I would like to ask, How should i name,a music that is edited to be slower pitched and so, music, that is as good or
Better when slowed down...? just Vaporwave for now?

how is it? i think its awesome the guitar melody :D

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #28,540 of 63,966
Did anyone already had the chance to do a proper zs6 v1 vs zs6 v2 comparison?

Eager to buy a good budget performer for my flight travels, but I really want to avoid treble canons as I have the old hyped **** 4in1 and the sharpness plus sibilance are a major annoyance compared to my earbuds...

Missed the hype train on the zs5 v1, would like to hoop on the zs6 v2...

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #28,541 of 63,966
No clue.

I don't claim to have bionic space robot ears that can hear everything either - all of the upgrade cables I have sound basically the same to me.

I know others do hear differences in the cables. I'd say if you hear a difference, then it's real to you and I'm cool with that. Your ears are the only ears that really matter at the end of the day, right?
Likewise. I have tried cables. up to £200, and found very, very little difference, but that does not mean anything. It just my old ears do not detect it.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #28,542 of 63,966
No clue.

Agree that all these are just very subjective. But on the case of KZ's stock cable, they have tons of microphonics while the upgraded kz silver cable has little to none microphonics. Sound improvement is highly subjective imo.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #28,543 of 63,966
Missed the hype train on the zs5 v1, would like to hoop on the zs6 v2..

I received a recent ZS6, at first listening the trebles were rather calm, then appeared sibilance sometimes with more agressive highs.
After 80h burn in, I don't hear a lot off change. After 110h burn-in, trebles soften...
ZS6 maybe needs 150-200h burn-in
Dunno for sure but today I believe that the ZS6 "v2" was a false bet...
ZS6 is technical and the sound can be very impressive, but it does not forgive an average recording, or electronic.

I recommand for you the ZSR that is better tuned, the trebles are softer.
It has lot in commun with the ZS6
Everything is fine after 48h burn-in (loop of pink noise + sin log).
Voices are not so close as the ZS6, but not recessed.

Free Burn-in Files | Head-Fi.org:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/free-burn-in-files.466827/
I bet that all earphones need a burn in to improve and get a stable sound. specialy for the BA that could need between 48-150h
Possibly KZ, to save costs (their products are sold at very low prices) does not any burn in, and we have to do the work.

I remember:
ZST pro, harsh trebles, recessed voices, well balanced after 70h burn in
ES3, sibilant all the time, artificial recessed voices, well improved after 80h

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #28,545 of 63,966
I received a recent ZS6, at first listening the trebles were rather calm, then appeared sibilance sometimes with more agressive highs.
After 80h burn in, I don't hear a lot off change. After 110h burn-in, trebles soften...
ZS6 maybe needs 150-200h burn-in
Dunno for sure but today I believe that the ZS6 "v2" was a false bet...
ZS6 is technical and the sound can be very impressive, but it does not forgive an average recording, or electronic.

I recommand for you the ZSR that is better tuned, the trebles are softer.
It has lot in commun with the ZS6
Everything is fine after 48h burn-in (loop of pink noise + sin log).
Voices are not so close as the ZS6, but not recessed.

Free Burn-in Files | Head-Fi.org:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/free-burn-in-files.466827/
I bet that all earphones need a burn in to improve and get a stable sound. specialy for the BA that could need between 48-150h
Possibly KZ, to save costs (their products are sold at very low prices) does not any burn in, and we have to do the work.

I remember:
ZST pro, harsh trebles, recessed voices, well balanced after 70h burn in
ES3, sibilant all the time, artificial recessed voices, well improved after 80h

Thank you man for the advice, but are you sure you have the v2?

I come from being long time user of earbuds and their price/performance is astounding but for noisy environments they are not the best...

I was into the 4 driver hype, but I will take a look into the ZSR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back