Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #27,316 of 64,382
Hey unrelated question, are you that same DocHoliday that writes those insanely detailed reviews of KZ IEMs on Amazon?

I've read those before - good lord that man is thorough!

He likes his KZs as much as me!

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #27,318 of 64,382
I'm your huckleberry :)

Most of the body of those reviews is dedicated to the importance of eartip rolling and differences in ear canal anatomy. Just copied and pasted fundamentals for using in-ears. Amazon is rife with poor reviews due to the uneducated regarding IEMs.

Haha awesome, big fan of your reviews man :yum:

And I definitely agree to that, I personally find the long introductions very useful and I'll bet many people on Amazon do as well.

Jan 25, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #27,321 of 64,382
Just wanted to post couple of pics of KZ ZS6 with 2.5mm balanced cables
I noticed that the cable on the red pair has the angled connector instead of the straight one. Is it comfortable that way? I know KZ markets their cables such that the angled one is for certain models and the straight one for others including the ZS5 and ZS6. Does it matter?

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #27,323 of 64,382
Thus far, seems like we share similar tastes and tolerances (treble sensitivity). Two questions regarding sound, Wyatt:
1) Your thoughts on the SE215 vs the ZST?
2) Your thoughts on the Klipsch S3M vs the HDS1?
The HDS1 was much better than the Klipsch S3 Image, but I never picked up the S3M.

...just curious if Klipsch improved the sonics to a significant degree.

Is the Samsung YP-Q1 considered a good mp3 player? Still have it laying around somewhere, but have ordered a Benjie S5b anyways lol

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #27,324 of 64,382
I noticed that the cable on the red pair has the angled connector instead of the straight one. Is it comfortable that way? I know KZ markets their cables such that the angled one is for certain models and the straight one for others including the ZS5 and ZS6. Does it matter?
Well to answer your question I tried both KZ ZS5/6 ZSR/T and found that the angled cable is more comfortable to my ears and better isolation (little snug fit) than straight one. And the cable is flexible. Hope this helps.

Edit: Added link for the cable, thinking you might be interested: http://s.aliexpress.com/eEfEZvEn?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #27,326 of 64,382

I'm actually partial to the cable on the red pair @Lord Rexter , can you post that link or is also from he who shall not be named? THX

@DocHoliday The SE215 for me is a very clean and smooth sounding iem and a gem for the price if you like a flatter sounding iem. I really like them if I'm listening to music with horns especially for any extended time, I actually put them on the same lines with my Mee P1/PX's. You have used a lot of terms warm, flat, slightly veiled but the term I'd use is smooth sounding (and in all actuality that means to my feeble mind lacking in detail/brightness), why I mentioned I don't really do reviews because I have like a total new base on terminology! People especially newbies get confused enough around here so I tend to not want to addd to that for anyone:wink: I've caught a few of your Amazon reviews and I could never explain what I hear as well as you so I just put my $0.02 in around here now and then and hope I'm close to what some others hear. My true signature is a brighter more detailed signature generally at lower volumes than most I believe:thumbsup: Oh yeah, that is a great John Williams piece, my late little brother was a major Williams fan, he was really into the Jurassic Park stuff before he passed and I pretty much put the theme song on every card I own because it reminds me so much of him:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #27,327 of 64,382
I'm actually partial to the cable on the red pair @Lord Rexter , can you post that link or is also from he who shall not be named? THX

Here you go (Silver & Black cable): http://s.aliexpress.com/eEfEZvEn?

Gold/Yellow cable with plastic inserts: http://s.aliexpress.com/u2iAjymA?

Gold/Yellow cable with metal inserts: http://s.aliexpress.com/Vj6fAbYZ?

Gold and Silver cable (on the Green one) with black metal inserts:
http://s.aliexpress.com/mUJZ7fM3?

Hope this helps :o2smile:

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #27,328 of 64,382
THX @Lord Rexter , I always love putting a cable on that retails for twice my iem's price but the Blk/Silver 2.5 Bal. cable will be sweet on either the Red, Black and Pewter:beerchug:

Now I'm not sure if he's changed the name of his store but all three are by the brand who should not be mentioned here! Of course I've seen his name splashed around a lot lately and seems no one at Head-Fi is too interested in the hush; hush ban put on him last year I believe it was:rolling_eyes:

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #27,329 of 64,382
Is the Samsung YP-Q1 considered a good mp3 player? Still have it laying around somewhere, but have ordered a Benjie S5b anyways lol

It's a funny little powerhouse fitted with a Wolfson DAC. When I first got it I couldn't understand why it only lasted 8 hours while all my other mp3 playes lasted 20+ hours. It just isn't like most of the DAPs that were released back in 2008-2009. It seems that when you choose a preset EQ the amp kicks in, which is odd, but it just sounds incredible when paired with relatively neutral IEMs.

Way back then Samsung had what was known as DNSE which I think was an acronym for Dynamic Natural Sound Enhancement. Current Sony DAPs have their own version of DNSE.

Anyway, it's fantastic on the Samsung player.

I've had it for approximately 10 years and it has held up well. I use it mostly for Chillout, Progressive Trance and Progressive House as you can see in the photo. I have all fifty of the Masterworks Collection mixes on it and it sounds like I am at a club with a top notch sound system.

Great sounding DAP!

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #27,330 of 64,382
Well to answer your question I tried both KZ ZS5/6 ZSR/T and found that the angled cable is more comfortable to my ears and better isolation (little snug fit) than straight one. And the cable is flexible. Hope this helps.

Edit: Added link for the cable, thinking you might be interested: http://s.aliexpress.com/eEfEZvEn?
I was very interested in the cable until I saw it was over 3x what I paid for my most expensive KZs. I'm too cheap. Doubt I'd spend that much on my Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and they're a $450 pair of headphones although I didn't pay that much for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back