Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 21, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #25,366 of 63,917
Am I the only one who is happy with the Starlines that came with the ZS6?
I actually like the starlings, not hard for me to get a good deal, isolation is good for my office work. ...Not too much.
Oh yeah one other thing, they vent well enough, I don't feel like I'm removing a toilet plunger when I remove them from my ears.

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #25,369 of 63,917
Oh yeah one other thing, they vent well enough, I don't feel like I'm removing a toilet plunger when I remove them from my ears.

You have perfectly described that feeling! LOL

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #25,370 of 63,917
Just after a brief testing with the new bee foams with the ZS6 and I am quite happy with them also seems like burn-in is indeed real?

I don't hear any sibilance with them and have had over 20 hours worth of use so far.

The new bee foams grip the shaft better as it is 2 parts where as the official KZ do not.

Nov 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #25,371 of 63,917
Just after a brief testing with the new bee foams with the ZS6 and I am quite happy with them also seems like burn-in is indeed real?

I don't hear any sibilance with them and have had over 20 hours worth of use so far.

The new bee foams grip the shaft better as it is 2 parts where as the official KZ do not.
I found the same effect, both with burn-in and New Bee foams.

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #25,372 of 63,917
I just tried the decade old UE silicone tips on my ZSTs, switching from the New Bee foams. Bass is both stronger and more defined. The treble is stronger, (not necessarily a good thing, but not bad at all...).
Soundstage has improved as well. They now sound more exciting. With the ZSTs they seem to stay put in my ears much better, due to the shape of them compared to the ZS6/ZS5
These differ from the starlines in that they are wider, thicker and softer. The thickness holds the softer material against my ear canal better, I'm guessing.

... so what I'm saying is that they are both softer and more firm? :astonished: I guess there is a magic paradox going on here, and I likes it.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #25,374 of 63,917
I don't actually have mine in hand yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but based off of what I have read the ZS6 has the most soundstage and for me, that's the deciding factor in a movie headphone.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #25,375 of 63,917
I don't actually have mine in hand yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but based off of what I have read the ZS6 has the most soundstage and for me, that's the deciding factor in a movie headphone.

Thanks for the insight!... thats where i'm leaning at aswell... but i was getting confused since, i read, that the zs3 is good aswell because of the deeper bass and very bright signature...

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #25,376 of 63,917
Mmm, my takeaway from reading this thread would be that impressions seem pretty split, sort of along these lines:
a) hear the ZS5(v1) as having a huge sound stage, and the ZS6 as being considerably smaller, or
b) hear the ZS5(v1) as having an average sized sound stage, and the ZS6 as being much larger

:shrug:

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #25,377 of 63,917
Hello guys,

New to audio, well anything other than listening to MP3s on my mobile.

Hopefully I’ve posted in the right thread….?

I found this site whilst searching for upgrade cables for KZ-ZS5s. I then got side tracked onto lossless formats and DAPs. I started looking at Fiios but there seem to lots of bugs with the UI. I’ve now moved onto the apparently very good Sony NW-ZX300 (hence my wrong thread query).

Anyway this all leads to my 2 questions?

1. Will the S5s run ok on the Sony or would I need to get a more “Premium” set of IEM even to appreciate listening to FLAC files?

2. If I got a 4.4 Balanced cable for the ZS5s would they work ok on the NW-ZX300 Balanced output, do you think there would be any noticeable difference SQ with ZS5s?

As I said I’m just starting out in audio, I really like the idea of trying lossless and I’m happy to spend on a decent player, but would like to have a play without committing to high end IEMs too.

Any advice gratefully received.

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #25,378 of 63,917
Mmm, my takeaway from reading this thread would be that impressions seem pretty split, sort of along these lines:
a) hear the ZS5(v1) as having a huge sound stage, and the ZS6 as being considerably smaller, or
b) hear the ZS5(v1) as having an average sized sound stage, and the ZS6 as being much larger

:shrug:
Is it clear that there is a way to order a ZS5 V1? I don't see "V1" or "V2" listed on any of the ads for the ZS5....that's why I said the ZS6, they just want to know whats a good KZ for movies, not go down a ChiFi rabbit hole trying to find the optimal sub category for themselves...in my opinion :wink:

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #25,379 of 63,917
1. Will the S5s run ok on the Sony or would I need to get a more “Premium” set of IEM even to appreciate listening to FLAC files?
Ehm... how "premium" a set of cans needs to be is... something you would have to decide for yourself... can the Sony drive a set of ZS5s? A quick glance at what little specs are available for the Sony - pairing with a ZS5v1 might have limited volume before clipping in SE mode (but might not too, hard to say without more information), plenty of power in balanced output most likely.
2. If I got a 4.4 Balanced cable for the ZS5s would they work ok on the NW-ZX300 Balanced output, do you think there would be any noticeable difference SQ with ZS5s?
If it is power limited in SE mode to the point of clipping, going balanced should likely be a very significant improvement. If not... well balanced has some very clear advantages from a technical standpoint, but how much (or if even) most people can actually hear them in a real world setting is a much more hotly debated topic. :shrug:
As I said I’m just starting out in audio, I really like the idea of trying lossless and I’m happy to spend on a decent player, but would like to have a play without committing to high end IEMs too.
Well... I think a lot of people would tell you that that's a bit of a backwards way to think about it, and that $600 cans + $20 source would be a better experience than $20 cans and a $600 source. But again, that's really something you'd have to decide for yourself...

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #25,380 of 63,917
Is it clear that there is a way to order a ZS5 V1? I don't see "V1" or "V2" listed on any of the ads for the ZS5....that's why I said the ZS6, they just want to know whats a good KZ for movies, not go down a ChiFi rabbit hole trying to find the optimal sub category for themselves...in my opinion :wink:
That's a very fair point, but I would counter with the ZS5v2 having the same internals as the ZS6 :p
(because no, white boxes will be v2, but black boxes could still be either, as evidenced by poor @hakuzen trying to get a v2 so many times now)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back