Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #24,856 of 63,835
Tried with a spare pair of KZ's gel, but the inner bore is so small on them, it's not an easy task.
Small size of KZ's gel fit exactly the medium Starline, without cutting nothing.

9935883_l.jpg

Nov 8, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #24,858 of 63,835
I've seen mention of using foam tips for the ZS5 and ZS6 so often that I just can't help but wonder why my ears are so different from everyone else. Or am I just wearing them very differently than everyone else? I've tried the pseudo foam KZ ones, the New Bee ones, generic ones that are both softer (meaning they stay compressed longer making it easier to insert into my ears) and stiffer (which return to shape quickly enough that insertion is difficult). In all cases I can't get a seal so I have no bass. I bought M, L and S when available and have tried them all. I got a few pairs of actual Comply brand with other IEMs that I tried also.

I tried the KZ hard silicone ones with the slots that radiate out from the opening. Good seal but reduced, too much, mids and highs. I have a bunch of generic wide bore silicone ones and these give me a more comfortable seal with clearer sound than the included silicone tips. But even the wide bore, which are very thin which is why I think they're more comfortable, aren't comfortable enough to wear for more than about an hour. If I just place the earphone without a tip against my ear and press I don't feel any discomfort such as if there was a bump or sharp angle that would indicate that the shape was intrinsically wrong for my ears. So despite the odd angular look it seems like they should be comfortable.

Its not just the KZs that are problematic comfort wise. Others include TFZ Exclusive 5, Mee Audio Pinnacle PX, Mee Audio M6 Pro, Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD. I can wear the Thinksound rain3, SoundMAGIC E10 and PL50, Brainwavz B150, Marshall Mode and Senzer.

Short of getting new ears suggestions anyone?
On the New Bee and Comply foams, I have to put the darn thing on the nozzle backwards (with the widest end facing my ear) in order to get a good seal. On the M6 Pro, it is mandatory to do so for me, on the ZS5 and ZS6, it helps a lot too. Might be worth a try.

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #24,860 of 63,835
I can also add that the starline's bore is a bit too small for the ZS6. To me it sounds better with something wider, like the silicon tips of new bee, the ones in the package with both them and foams.

Another problem i've notice, but a lot more personal, is that foams are longer than silicon tips, and that push the rear of the ZS6 more to the back on my ear, hurting me a bit on prolonged usage.

I think of try to create an hybrid tips with the new bee's silicon, follow Hakuzen advice on gel foams, but i'm not sure about the size. I use the medium of silicon tips, but i find more easy to put inside the smaller size of foams. For now i need to pick some of those gel, of different size, and try different combo.

I have the same problem with foam tips being to long! I I have yet to find a solution.

Ordered a set of round foams after the tips some here gave. Will report back how they work

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #24,861 of 63,835
I have the same problem with foam tips being to long! I I have yet to find a solution.

Ordered a set of round foams after the tips some here gave. Will report back how they work

The easy solution for foam tips that are too long (cut the bottom portion of the ear tip):
scissors.jpeg

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #24,862 of 63,835
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #24,864 of 63,835
Haha ask me if I feel supid now.

What a difference! :dt880smile:

I could get seal before but they always fell out a little bit so I get semi seal.

I was actually about to ask if I was alone thinking the zs5 had less bass then zs5

Tip dependent:rolling_eyes:

I think I'm in the right thread:thinking:

My 5, 6, 10 Rig:wink:

5, 6, 10 Rig.JPG

KZ ZS5V1, Benjie T6, Xduoo XQ-10 (another sweet sounding rig under a Benjamin):thumbsup:

Nov 8, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #24,865 of 63,835
LOL, nice Fiskars:wink:

The audiophile equivalent of scissors ;0)

Haha ask me if I feel supid now.

What a difference! :dt880smile:

I could get seal before but they always fell out a little bit so I get semi seal.

I was actually about to ask if I was alone thinking the zs5 had less bass then zs5

Glad you got it all sorted out. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best solutions.

Still try out the ball style foams when they arrive. You might like them even more (I do). Don't forget that you can trim the ball style foams as well in case you want them a little shorter.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #24,866 of 63,835
@vector84 @Slater @Tim Le thanks for the suggestions. I'd already seen the make your own from the 3M ear plug solution before but the Symbio Mandarin suggestion made me decide to get a box of them and give it a try. Figure $20 with the plugs in hand in 2 days beats paying for someone in Hungary to do the cutting and boring then waiting for them to ship here.

They also address, partly, the size issue. I've mostly tried small and medium sized foam since I tend to use medium silicone tips. I believe I use small for the thinkSOUND rain3 and large for the Marshall Mode but medium for the others. I also ordered, with Amazon 2 day delivery, large sized New Bee tips. Mostly the generic Chinese ones I've gotten are medium sized. I saw the link that @Slater posted for $20 pairs and I plan to get a few nozzle diameters in large sizes. So within a few days I'll have some more larger foam tips to try and then a bit later even more.

Comfort issue. Trying to describe why I feel uncomfortable is a bit difficult. Partly it is that I believe I have an issue with the silicone not allowing my skin to breathe. When I remove any brand IEM with silicone tips my ears feel itchy and if I use a Q-tip inside my ear, and yes I know you're not supposed to, I have moisture on the cotton. That is noticeable wetness although no discoloration like I'd get with ear wax. Its as if my skin in my ears are soaked in sweat although I don't believe that one has sweat glands inside the ear. That's a big part of why I keep trying foam tips because it seems to me that they're more breathable than silicone. I also feel discomfort that's pressure related when I exceed an hour. Pretty much just what I'd feel if I just inserted a too large tip initially. Again another reason I keep trying foam figuring it'd be less rigid and therefore less likely to develop the stuffed too full feeling.
Ear wax is produced by sweat glands, so there's definitely sweat glands in there :p

If it's an option, you may want to ask an ENT or Audiologist about it - 20 years ago or so I got instructions from an ENT on dealing with similar problems - basically keep your ears clean and never insert a Q-Tip into your ear, but I was told you can use them to gently swab around the very outer edge (less deep than where tips make contact) and mop away the sweat, as most of those glands are very close to the exterior and the sweat should tend to run out of your ear, not into it unless you have particularly unusual anatomy - but that was still 20 years ago :p

Personally I have some trouble with long duration wear on foams actually - that sweat drying into a thick waxy build-up is no fun at all, whereas with silicone tips I can just wipe it away.

YMMV, I took my instructions directly from an ENT on the subject many years ago and I would strongly recommend you consider doing the same if at all possible. I know it might sound a bit silly to go asking your doctor about sweaty ears, but ear damage is no joke, and taking such suggestions seriously outside of the direction of a trained medical professional is dangerous territory.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #24,867 of 63,835
I can also add that the starline's bore is a bit too small for the ZS6. To me it sounds better with something wider, like the silicon tips of new bee, the ones in the package with both them and foams.
Tried some more time... i like much more how it sounds with this wider bore silicon tips, soundstage and imaging is improved a lot. Mine perception, over foams and on this comparison, could be also affected from the distance to the bore, as it's difficult to me to have a deeper insertion with them and their normal length.

Highs are obviously even more a problem, but more EQ do the trick to me. Now i wait for the adapter.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #24,868 of 63,835
Promotion is back again... :)

KZ ZS5 @ $12.99 with this code - KZHK or KZGB
https://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_641227.html
I haven't ordered from Gearbest before, so I don't know the best way to use these...I tried to use the code and it is expired already. I have been reading up on KZ and I am interested in getting an ES3, a ZS5 and a few others, plus a silver cable and a bluetooth....is my best bet just waiting until 11/11?
That's a great price for the Zs5, I'd be psyched to get it at that price. I saw the Es3 for like $8 the other day and somehow it was too late for that price...

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #24,869 of 63,835
Another thing to say on ZS6: on tracks where there is no clear presence of sibilance or cymbals on the front, i'm heavenly in love with how they perform with my Fulla. They are bright on top, but full sounding, and i don't want to do permanent mod to them... one bit.

I really hope that a swappable mod, like an impedance adapter, could easily do the trick, but maybe the firstly suggested 75 ohm is too much. I let you know, when i can.

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #24,870 of 63,835
I haven't ordered from Gearbest before, so I don't know the best way to use these...I tried to use the code and it is expired already. I have been reading up on KZ and I am interested in getting an ES3, a ZS5 and a few others, plus a silver cable and a bluetooth....is my best bet just waiting until 11/11?
That's a great price for the Zs5, I'd be psyched to get it at that price. I saw the Es3 for like $8 the other day and somehow it was too late for that price...
Yes, 11.11 that day is the best choice. But need to be fast as well before all discount codes were used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back