Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 1, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #24,512 of 63,995
Hmmm, my Google translate was a bunch of gibberish mumbo jumbo.

I think it did say "2-pin" and "Natural", but the rest was useless junk.
Here's what I get:
Screenshot_20171101-153756.png

I read their review on their website which included descriptions of 4 different ZS6 units, but didn't really understand the Google translate results there. The one described in the tweet should be newer than the four in the review, if "fifth" is the correct translation.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #24,513 of 63,995
I read their review on their website which included descriptions of 4 different ZS6 units, but didn't really understand the Google translate results there. The one described in the tweet should be newer than the four in the review, if "fifth" is the correct translation.
It's the first we have heard say that. Others in this thread have tried models with different colours without find any difference between them.
It bugs me that they add where to buy them...

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #24,514 of 63,995
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/mojo/

Maybe the problem it's here, as hakuzen said to have tested the ZS6 with the adapter on a source with <1 ohm of output impedance.

Have you try it the ZS6, plus the adapter, with the DX90 alone ?
Trust me....no <1 ohm output impedance from any AMP or DAP is going to tame the ZS6's high frequency peaks to an acceptable level for me. I've also tried it with my DX90 and Cayin N3 without going through any external DAC/AMP but still no go. I love my treble but ZS6 treble peak is taking it a little too far for me. I'm sure many here who are immune to treble peaks might love the ZS6 because honestly, other than the the treble peaks, I actually like the rest of the frequencies that's coming out of the ZS6 and the build is surprisingly good too. But damn...I just can't handle those treble peaks from the ZS6.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #24,515 of 63,995
Well, at least I could enjoy the ZST and ZS5v1 with foam tips...but not the ZS6, even with foam tips. I really was trying very hard to like it but I gave up after modding it with some foam filter stuffed into the foam tips...still no go. I also tried the 75ohms adapter but it sucked the life out of the ZS6...sigh.

This is why I plan on removing 1 BA from each earphone when my ZS6 arrives..
I couldn't handle the double barrel treble cannons on my ZS5 V2, so removed 1 BA from each, and I also placed a little foam disc over the nozzles in order to further dampen the remaining treble cannon, and replace the destroyed metal screens..
BA KZ.JPG PB015334.JPG
They are one of my favorite sets of earphones now! :)

But, I imagine when my ZS6 arrives it will be the same issue..
Perhaps you might be able to kill the Z6's BAs by stuffing them with a more dense foam such as Neoprene?
Or perhaps even stuffing a BA with a small slice of rubber band would kill at least 90% of the awful screaming SsssSCcCchHhhttTttT!!

When I get mine in a few weeks, I'll post the results of some of my experiments.

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #24,516 of 63,995
Trust me....no <1 ohm output impedance from any AMP or DAP is going to tame the ZS6's high frequency peaks to an acceptable level for me. I've also tried it with my DX90 and Cayin N3 without going through any external DAC/AMP but still no go. I love my treble but ZS6 treble peak is taking it a little too far for me. I'm sure many here who are immune to treble peaks might love the ZS6 because honestly, other than the the treble peaks, I actually like the rest of the frequencies that's coming out of the ZS6 and the build is surprisingly good too. But damn...I just can't handle those treble peaks from the ZS6.
I was thinking more about the lifeless response with the adapter you have talked about, but i have miss read, so i was thinking about a 75+75 effect, and it's not the case here :sweat_smile:

You still haven't try doing some EQ ?

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #24,517 of 63,995
The KZ ZS5 nozzles is irritating me because the tips keep getting stuck in my ear. I wonder if it's because they lack the small lip around the end of the nozzle.
Am using KZ blue spirals and a few others....the easiest to come off are the new bee foamies.

Will be carrying a small pin nowadays to fetch them out from now on! Hopefully something that doesn't look like a cotton bud as that would be embarassing in the tube...

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #24,518 of 63,995
I couldn't handle the double barrel treble cannons on my ZS5 V2, so removed 1 BA from each, and I also placed a little foam disc over the nozzles in order to further dampen the remaining treble cannon, and replace the destroyed metal screens..

Perhaps you might be able to kill the Z6's BAs by stuffing them with a more dense foam such as Neoprene?
Or perhaps even stuffing a BA with a small slice of rubber band would kill at least 90% of the awful screaming SsssSCcCchHhhttTttT!!

When I get mine in a few weeks, I'll post the results of some of my experiments.

Instead of removing a BA and risk damaging something, what about sealing 1 of the BA nozzles with a drop of Elmer's or hot glue? That way, the impedance remains the same since the driver is still technically wired up. If it eventually burns itself out due to a pressure buildup, it won't matter.

It would do the same basic thing as removing the BA, without having to disassemble the nozzle and risk messing up the other BA driver. Heck, it's completely reversible by just popping off the glue 'plug'.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #24,519 of 63,995
ZS6 finally fixed? I still haven't picked up a pair. ZS5v1's, no reason to stop using them. They're a good everyday headphone with monster quality, but I'd like something more rugged.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #24,520 of 63,995

If you desoldered those, why didn't you just add a like a low value 0603 SMD resistor in line to cut it down a bit?

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #24,521 of 63,995

Try Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Works great for vintage orthodynamic damping.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #24,522 of 63,995
Read the whole review. Its really not hard to read with Google Translate.

The reviewer was merely implying that KZ quality hasn't always completely homogeneous (stemming from experience tracing back to the ZST), hence the decision to get multiple copies from different batches so that he/she can suss out any quality issues from the true nature of the IEM's sound quality.

It was pointed that the treble highs from the balanced armatures were a little 'stinging' out of the box. And that they seemed to settle down after about 100 hours of "ageing" (listening / burning-in). (Perhaps something people here should try instead of jumping into irreversible mods directly.)

He pointed out some issues with the left/right balance after some 'ageing'. Opened up the cover and realized that there was additional glue on one of them that was clumping the wires together. Did some clean-up and things were good again.

Here's what I get:

And for those who want to compare the ZS5v1 versus the ZS5v2, the reviewer has done precisely that in his pages too.

http://bisonicr.ldblog.jp/archives/55647124.html
ee7737ac.jpg
1f379559.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #24,524 of 63,995
If you desoldered those, why didn't you just add a like a low value 0603 SMD resistor in line to cut it down a bit?
I didn't desolder them, I just cut the wires.
It was actually a happy accident on the first BA...I broke the wires on accident while removing the nozzle, because I had knocked one of the BAs lose and it fell into the nozzle and was rattling around, so I had to remove the nozzle..
The nozzles are glued down rather tightly, so when it broke loose, one of the BA's was still partly glued to the side of the nozzle.
At first I thought it wouldn't work anymore, but when I tested it, I liked it and so I did the other one as well..
Happy accident. :)
They still needed a slight bit of dampening after that so I added the thin foam disk on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back