Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,191 of 64,388
I'm wearing the R3 right now, I like them quite a bit. The cable is just fantastic! But to answer your question, I'm sure you could ask the KZ guy for a replacement for a few dollars and there's another IEM whose brand name I'm missing (I think Moxpad) and I recall their cables being compatible.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2,192 of 64,388
I thought they used standard mmcx connectors. I read somewhere that the Somic mh415 cable works on them, and I'm pretty those are standard mmcx. Maybe someone who has the R3 could verify? My R3 are on the way, so I can't test these theories just yet
tongue.gif

Yeah, but how much do these cables actually cost? because if they cost as much as the earphones... unless they're really good cables.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #2,194 of 64,388
Just received my first EDSE (and first KZ earphone) and I like the sound out of the box. EDSE has good details, enough bass to satisfy me.
I'm not too sure about higher mids and treble but I need more time on these to build my opinion. Regardless, this earphone offers huge VFM for the $6.8 I paid for it. In addition to this it looks very durable with that metal housing and seemingly strong cable.

Nice job, KZ.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #2,195 of 64,388
Some EDSE eye candy :wink: 
Took some pics.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,196 of 64,388

:D

I hope EDSE will not hiss with my Xonar U1 as MEP-933 do.
BTW - anyone familiar with this effect? The Monoprices hiss while not playing any music while connected to Xonar, but are OK while connected to my laptop audio out. My PX100 and HD-681B are fine on both laptop and Xonar. Really strange.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #2,197 of 64,388
Is a bigger driver necessarily means more bass?

Did anyone try these two?

http://tw.taobao.com/item/36548970532.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.1-c.w5003-9563417536.12.u3JZXL&scene=taobao_shop

http://tw.taobao.com/item/39777957639.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.1-c.w5003-9563417536.11.u3JZXL&scene=taobao_shop

It looks like they have at least a 14mm driver.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2,198 of 64,388
Size doesn't matter, it's how the driver is used that matters lol

But seriously though, some of the smallest drivers ever made have some of the best bass. The Sony mh1c is a perfect example of this

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #2,199 of 64,388
  Is a bigger driver necessarily means more bass?

Did anyone try these two?

http://tw.taobao.com/item/36548970532.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.1-c.w5003-9563417536.12.u3JZXL&scene=taobao_shop

http://tw.taobao.com/item/39777957639.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z10.1-c.w5003-9563417536.11.u3JZXL&scene=taobao_shop

It looks like they have at least a 14mm driver.

The second link (KZ ANV) can pump out some decent bass when asked for, but in general they are reasonable neutral compared to the other KZ offerings (that I've tried). They do require some additional filters and small bore tips to tame the treble. Once you add that they are a solid all-rounder and one of my fav cheap-o in-ears. Otherwise they are pretty disappointing due to the over-abundance of uncontrolled treble.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2,200 of 64,388
  Just received my first EDSE (and first KZ earphone) and I like the sound out of the box. EDSE has good details, enough bass to satisfy me.
I'm not too sure about higher mids and treble but I need more time on these to build my opinion. Regardless, this earphone offers huge VFM for the $6.8 I paid for it. In addition to this it looks very durable with that metal housing and seemingly strong cable.

Nice job, KZ.

Pretty amazing, isn't it? BTW I did some more A B testing, EDSE vs. DT3. The EDSE has more bass and the DT3 slightly better on the high end. They are both fine IEM's and I like the sound of the EDSE a tad more. For fit, the DT3 works for me, as I've said many times, I prefer the lightweight plastic housing. The Pistons btw have more bass than either. Not a flat sound but really fun for some music. I can't say the piston is better, but different. As far as the looks go - and this is completely subjective, I prefer the DT3. The EDSE (and Piston to a lesser extent) are garish.

To make things complicated, I also tested Vsonic GR07 and TTPOD T1E. They are better than the KZ, but only with direct comparison can I hear the shortcomings of the KZ. A more veiled sound - especially on the high end. But if I did a blind test who knows what I'd find, so I can't be 100% objective. The T1E and GR07 reveal shortcomings of the source music, but when music with superior mastering really shine. 
Some of the music that I have is from CD's that are not mastered properly - compressed and volume too high, so at times the KZ is superior since it hides the flaws!  For new music with very good production characteristics - Actress, Caribou, Panda Bear, Flying Lotus, etc. the GR07 and T1E shine. But the KZ's aren't left in the dust. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #2,201 of 64,388
Haven't seen these KZ woodies posted (mind you it entirely possible I missed it given the length of this thread):

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kz-calamander-wood-earphones-novelty-dianthuses-reproduction-of-box-flavor-ofdynamism/733393233.html

Not sure what the model is actually called. Look interesting though.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #2,202 of 64,388
Pretty amazing, isn't it? BTW I did some more A B testing, EDSE vs. DT3. The EDSE has more bass and the DT3 slightly better on the high end. They are both fine IEM's and I like the sound of the EDSE a tad more. For fit, the DT3 works for me, as I've said many times, I prefer the lightweight plastic housing. The Pistons btw have more bass than either. Not a flat sound but really fun for some music. I can't say the piston is better, but different. As far as the looks go - and this is completely subjective, I prefer the DT3. The EDSE (and Piston to a lesser extent) are garish.

To make things complicated, I also tested Vsonic GR07 and TTPOD T1E. They are better than the KZ, but only with direct comparison can I hear the shortcomings of the KZ. A more veiled sound - especially on the high end. But if I did a blind test who knows what I'd find, so I can't be 100% objective. The T1E and GR07 reveal shortcomings of the source music, but when music with superior mastering really shine. 
Some of the music that I have is from CD's that are not mastered properly - compressed and volume too high, so at times the KZ is superior since it hides the flaws!  For new music with very good production characteristics - Actress, Caribou, Panda Bear, Flying Lotus, etc. the GR07 and T1E shine. But the KZ's aren't left in the dust. 

Totally. I've been listening to EDSEs for whole day amd I'm in love!! Alas, I had ordered this pair to gift my friend... And I must, because he knows that. But I'll order one for me without a second thought. I mean, I'm blown away by this sound, nuff said. Digging EDSE.

If ED8 turns out to be better than this then I'll root for kz forever haha

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,203 of 64,388
TTPOD T2 few shots. (not mine) you may interest.

Comment from that post: (before burn in) bass is not strong but vocal is good and details. Ear tips is not so good. Really want to see the different between T2 and EDSE

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,204 of 64,388
Kz official flagship store has micro rings in stock at really good price!! Too bad min order is 10 pieces.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,205 of 64,388
Totally. I've been listening to EDSEs for whole day amd I'm in love!! Alas, I had ordered this pair to gift my friend... And I must, because he knows that. But I'll order one for me without a second thought. I mean, I'm blown away by this sound, nuff said. Digging EDSE.

If ED8 turns out to be better than this then I'll root for kz forever haha

That should be OK. The ED8 looks like further evolution of the EDSE so better to move forward. Of course knowing KZ they may just be changing the style of the housing and drivers and the rest not updated. The ED8 may not be much better than the EDSE but I highly doubt it will be worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back