Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #20,701 of 64,382
No argument from me there, I'm just saying we shouldn't be quick to dismiss arguments whether they are positive or negative. More often than not I've been burned by overly positive comments in this community and ended up with gear I either don't touch or have since-then sold. Constructive criticism should be encouraged, not shunned or dismissed. I'm not saying you did either of those, but coming to an understanding is better than not coming to one at all.

You're right, but is this really constructive criticism?

Reading the last bunch of pages it's funny people can call the ZS5 good value for money. My pair is sibilant, wooly and the treble sounds like the drummer is using a pencil as a drum stick. Awful tuning in my opinion.

If another company made an iem that sounded like this I think they would be shunned. But because we all wanna see KZ do well and become giant killers most just forgive their flaws.

Rather than me complain any more I'm going to open them up and rip out a Ba and a dynamic and see if they're contributing to the sound.

Has anyone done this yet?

Or just trolling, using ignorance as a screen for being destructive?

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #20,702 of 64,382
FWIW, I received my KS5 a couple of weeks ago. My unit is the one with the two BAs in the nozzle. Amazing sound. Detailed and wide frequency extension. Lesser but more controlled bass compared to ZST. Nothing against the ZST, but the ZS5 is more accurate to the source. Great value in terms or SQ/price. If you wonder, I have already ordered both KSE and ES3. Waiting for reviews about KS6.

As a side note: as some people have commented, KZ tips change their shape/stiffness with time. If fact, and this is the first time it occurs to me, I've had to use them asymmetrically: medium in the left ear and large in the right ear.

Hope this helps

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #20,704 of 64,382
Reading the last bunch of pages it's funny people can call the ZS5 good value for money. My pair is sibilant, wooly and the treble sounds like the drummer is using a pencil as a drum stick. Awful tuning in my opinion.

If another company made an iem that sounded like this I think they would be shunned. But because we all wanna see KZ do well and become giant killers most just forgive their flaws.

Rather than me complain any more I'm going to open them up and rip out a Ba and a dynamic and see if they're contributing to the sound.

Has anyone done this yet?
Before your rip your ZS5 apart, try pairing it with the Comply T400 and you'll notice a great improvement in sound quality. The stock KZ tips do not do justice to the ZS5. Also make sure that the cables are plugged in correctly or else you'll hear an "out of phase" sound that is very unnatural like the one you described.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #20,705 of 64,382
FWIW, I received my KS5 a couple of weeks ago. My unit is the one with the two BAs in the nozzle. Amazing sound. Detailed and wide frequency extension. Lesser but more controlled bass compared to ZST. Nothing against the ZST, but the ZS5 is more accurate to the source. Great value in terms or SQ/price. If you wonder, I have already ordered both KSE and ES3. Waiting for reviews about KS6.

As a side note: as some people have commented, KZ tips change their shape/stiffness with time. If fact, and this is the first time it occurs to me, I've had to use them asymmetrically: medium in the left ear and large in the right ear.

Hope this helps
Please share some photos of the dual BA at the ZS5 nozzle with us. Thanks in advance.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #20,707 of 64,382
I think some pictures have already been published, I ordered from Gearbest

I'm pretty sure he's asking for some pics you've taken yourself, of your ZS5's. So far all we have are some 3D renders from KZ and a second-hand, unofficial quote which may be inaccurate as they have been in the past. There may not be any dual-ba-in-nozzle ZS5's in the wild as yet, or ever.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #20,708 of 64,382
I'm pretty sure he's asking for some pics you've taken yourself, of your ZS5's. So far all we have are some 3D renders from KZ and a second-hand, unofficial quote which may be inaccurate as they have been in the past. There may not be any dual-ba-in-nozzle ZS5's in the wild as yet, or ever.

I saw two bright circles within the nozzle under the sunlight and I took them for BAs. Maybe I am wrong. Unfortunately, I have no photo equipment with flash and macro capabilities. I'll have another look tomorrow and report any news.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #20,709 of 64,382
Here is my try at capturing the number of BAs in the nozzle, its up to you to decide it, one or two. :) I’d say it is one. Got the ZS5 in august, ordered it from GB.
0F3835E6-2322-475C-8EB3-CC327FE0D986.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #20,710 of 64,382
Here is my try at capturing the number of BAs in the nozzle, its up to you to decide it, one or two. :) I’d say it is one. Got the ZS5 in august, ordered it from GB.
That looks like 2 honestly. Right one is 100% a BA driver, left one might be something on the mesh and not a driver, but it does have a black center so I am leaning towards it being a second BA.
Come on people, we need someone to confirm that we really do have 2 circles on the second version because we are not even sure that 2 circles is something that makes a difference, 2 BA drivers could have a single nozzle, as previously discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back