Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #19,966 of 64,386
recommend me the earbuds that do better in the price range, i'll look into it. thanks

I think he already did - the Auglamour RX-1 $23.00 at Penon Audio...

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #19,968 of 64,386
I think there is one more thing that is worth mentioning about all of this, with instrumental music I generally like to listen louder than most people do, but nothing too insane. When I tried to compare ZS5 and RX-1 again, difference is somewhat smaller with moderate sound level, but it is still there, just not as much as I made it out to be (it certainly is a big difference if you push it a bit, perhaps the BA drivers on ZS5 have some limitations, I am almost certain that violins sounding kinda thin is exactly because 1 or both BAs get more than they can handle). So, here is the case with this weird comparison, ZS5 is technically better extended and more detailed, but RX-1 just produces music that is more correct with fantastic resolution (it has flaws, mainly due to earbud form factor limiting extension in both directions, but it's fantastic exactly where ZS5 isn't and it shows). Also, considering this is not earbud thread and people might be uninformed, everyone's first earbud should be Vido from NiceHCK. It's the best 4$ anyone can spend and it's 95% of the way towards Auglamour, they do similar things for the mid range and yes, this 4$ earbud does mid range quite a bit better than ZS5.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #19,970 of 64,386
I found out that the cappucino .78 two pins cable from Venture Electronics fits the ZS5. The mould is not exact but when connecting them there is a tight fit. I just need to find out how the connection will remain over time as it's a bit of a try. Cable is a real looker, sound is great and most importantly it's more comfortable compared to KZ's own cable as it is way more flexible.

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/VE-B...32822038909.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.iINhHF

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #19,972 of 64,386
I think there is one more thing that is worth mentioning about all of this, with instrumental music I generally like to listen louder than most people do, but nothing too insane. When I tried to compare ZS5 and RX-1 again, difference is somewhat smaller with moderate sound level, but it is still there, just not as much as I made it out to be (it certainly is a big difference if you push it a bit, perhaps the BA drivers on ZS5 have some limitations, I am almost certain that violins sounding kinda thin is exactly because 1 or both BAs get more than they can handle). So, here is the case with this weird comparison, ZS5 is technically better extended and more detailed, but RX-1 just produces music that is more correct with fantastic resolution (it has flaws, mainly due to earbud form factor limiting extension in both directions, but it's fantastic exactly where ZS5 isn't and it shows). Also, considering this is not earbud thread and people might be uninformed, everyone's first earbud should be Vido from NiceHCK. It's the best 4$ anyone can spend and it's 95% of the way towards Auglamour, they do similar things for the mid range and yes, this 4$ earbud does mid range quite a bit better than ZS5.

I just listened to the Hilary Hahn Sibelius VC recording with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Ese-Pekka Salonen. I have played this concerto five or so times in the past, so I am pretty familiar with it. I am wondering if your source might have something to do with your observations, as I am pretty sure the ZS5s will be harder to drive.

On my setup, I can drive it to pretty close to live concert levels, and the violin sounds relatively good, decent imaging, etc. Certainly listenable. So, just a thought. I A/B'd this with my Fostexes, and while the Fostexes have a bigger, deeper soundstage and are generally more realistic sounding, with more space and air, these ZS5s do pretty well with it.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #19,974 of 64,386

I have had RX-1 before and Vido currently. Philips SHE4205 also and don't really listen to Vido anymore. Midrange is an area that is quite better than Vido(and perhaps all my stuff except CKR90) though bass and treble are also better. Cost me $16 more than the Vido but well worth it.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #19,977 of 64,386
That's interesting, where did that come from ?

The ZS5 has definitely intrigued me but I have been really hesitant as I never liked the feel of over the ear cables.
Well, my initial impressions were. I think the tips that they come with arn't as good of a fit as the stock ZS5(fits me perfectly, and I think the bore size is right). With the ZS5 tips, the sound becomes more neutral and clearer(my how much tips can make a difference!). I will have to listen more to get a better comparison.

The stock cable for the ZS5 causes cable movement noise, and it's not a good cable for reducing the noise(even when hooked over the ear, I think it's due to the cable weight, it's large enough for the cable to transfer vibration noise when swinging even when wearing over the ear). They need to produce thinner cables.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #19,978 of 64,386
What makes ZS5 differentiate from others(I like so much) is that the ranges are separated. It makes for better coherency in the more congested passages. This is what I've been noticing with one driver dynamics(when the sounds get congested, coherency reduces). I think the mix of dynamic and BA drivers and splitting the ranges creates the coherency and separation. I think this is a purpose of of splitting the ranges with cross-overs(but, this can be done badly as well).

When the sound separated like this, the mids becoming more distinct, and I hear better.

Pardon me, this probably my first time owning a hybrid iems. Long ago I've heard the 1plus2 and that was the only time(noticed how much iems can have potential with hybrids).

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #19,979 of 64,386
Titan 3 is better than 1. Titan 1 less refined with prominent treble that doesn't blend too well with the rest of the spectrum(too pronounced). People say it's resolving, but there are resolving without pronounced treble, and it's more of a pronounced treble than more resolving. Titan 3 being more balanced, does noticeably sound better as they tamed the pronounced treble on the 1. Titan 3 finicky to fit. ZS5 is so different as it's not finicky and fits right without fine adjustments like the Titan 3. Even with the slight mis-fit, the Titan 3 can sound different(I get some sound resonance as well). Also, the bore size of the tips doesn't seem to be optimized for best sound, as the stock bore sizing causes a bit of constricted sound compared to the wider bore stock ZS5 tips. I also tried the ZS5 tips on the E3000 as the E3000 tips have narrower bore. The wider bore reduced the clarity and created congestion to the sound. So, ZS5 tips are not universally good for all. I tink generally the iem designer should have tried the different bore sizes in it's tuning, and therefore the stock bore size should be ideal, but as the Titan 3 exemplifies, it's not always the case. I think the KZ did a good job of choosing the tips(thickness, shape, stiffness, bore size). Also, how much the bore and the tips reach out makes for an easy fit. I think the last easy fit iem was Shure iems.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #19,980 of 64,386
ZSE in the house! finally...
Out of the box impressions match what others have said. This is indeed an improvement over the ZS3, but in a different category as the ZS5. Between the 2, ZS5 has much better resolution and separation, soundstage is also a bit wider but much airy-er. Highs are definitely more clear on ZS5, while ZSE seems to be relatively warmer and rumble a bit more. I'll post more later after some run-in time, which I do find helps with DDs.

Comfort-wise ZSE is fantastic. I think I'll use these in bed, while my ZS5 will remain as my daily/commuting IEMs. Microphonics is pretty bad on ZSE so better not use them when moving around...

Very happy with these at this price level, and I think I'll get more ZSE later as gifts for friends! Most people I know prefer wearing earphones down instead of overear...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back