Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #19,024 of 64,346
Recently got my hands on KZ ZS5 (present from girlfriend) and I must say it's WAY better than the ZS3. I mean there is NO comparison between these two. here are my initial impressions after about 6 hours of cumulative experience:

Comfort: Only thing that the ZS3 does better is the shape of the housing and therefore higher comfort levels. Not to say the ZS5 is uncomfortable, especially with other tips like sony hybrids (which don't really change the sound much) or any other softer, less rigid flange tips. I have some no name foam tips coming from Aliexpress, and will say how those perform. Right now though I have a VERY wide bore and almost as soft as the Sony hybrids tips and well, they are pretty comfortable. Don't know what they are or if you can get them, AFAIK they came with some earphones bundled with my General Mobile GM5 so yeah... As for the included star tips are too rigid for my preferences and Sony hybrids sound no different so go for Sonys. The memory wire portion (you know, the actual metal wire underneath the sheath) was absent on the ZS3 and it was horrible until I completely cut the thick rubbery memory wire sheath off. The ZS5 does have the proper memory wire and when fitted correctly, they do not hinder me in any way... all in all, they might not be as comfortable as the "memory wire removed" ZS3s with small sony hybrids, but with larger Sony hybrids (these do sit in years differently, therefore the larger tips) and properly formed memory wire, they are pretty good for longer sessions.

Build Quality: They are built well. no apparent flaws. all the wents are open and there is no drier rattle and loose connections with the wire etc. larger "seam" is a design aspect, rather than finishing defect, so yeah - no qualms. these are not fragile or weak and I'm pretty sure with normal use, they will hold up (Gym is not a normal sue scenario, sweat will find ways into the vents and *** everything up).

Sound: I own several phones, most notable are the KZ ZS3, Sony XB90EX, Seenheiser HD598, hisound BA100. This is my Second KZ and first Hybrid of any sort. It is also the BEST Sounding one out of those that I own. These are the Fastest sounding of them all, meaning that they are VERY detailed and can handle busier music passages without distorting, hiding certain frequencies or instruments and without making the music sound like a big much of noises. even with unforgiving music like Maximum the hormones shimi, or the Tools parabola, everything is present and every little detail is still in the mix. the zs3 for example can't really do that, nor the HD598 can handle those. tips don't really change the sound as much (I didnt really notice any, except for a little more treble with the aforementioned super wide bore tips. a

ZS5 also makes it easy to distinguish the perceived direction from where the certain sounds come from. it's as good as the XB90EX with that. not The "soundstage" is also almost as big, but some sounds can be more upclose with the ZS5 and some are even further, when compared to the XB90EX.

ZS5 has a pretty good sound signature. I'd say they emphasize treble and sub-base, but not overly so. some recordings with poor mastering don't sound as good as others but overall it's not the ZS5s fault imo. base frequencies are pretty controlled and they do not bleed. crappy hip/hop recordings with artificial rumble sound artificially rumbly, while good mastering examples (tech n9ne for example) really shine with energy and control. Mids are there and can be VERY luscious and sweet (miles davis blue in green sounds almost as sweet and lush as on the XB90EX), but can be small and thin at times (again, this is entirely up to the recording). treble is there and it is pretty detailed and sparkly but never grainy or over-stressed and sibilant. I guess this is the biggest plus of the multi driver phones - they can handle stuff easier and with less effort. The whole listening experience is just like that - effortless and doesn't feel busy or crowded. This imo is the biggest pro the ZS5 has.

These are pretty sensitive to source though. they make the crappy sources sound pretty bad (my phone for example, which I'm pretty sure uses the same DAC that early 8 bit video game consoles used back in the day) and good sources

Mind you I've listened to these from the Ibasso DX50 on the latest firmware, my Desctop pc sound card (ok sound from these) and my phone (UGH). I'm pretty sure some placebo effect might be at play here but I've tried to not fall for it and I'm also pretty sure these are a steal at 30-ish, moreso at the 18$ deal. anyone who doesn;t have a highend earphone and wants to hear something good, get these.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #19,029 of 64,346
I think that ZS5 is setting a new standard, with its price to SQ ratio it hard to beat.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #19,032 of 64,346
So every song that sounds bad on the ZS5 is a bad recording/mastering job?

Sounds like you are still in that hype period of getting a new IEM (which is cool).

yep. I'm saying that. all of the songs that sounded BAD on this phone sounded bad on others too, or at least not that good. ZS5 makes the bad recording more apparent, be it lack of soundstage, thinner mids and bloated sub-base lines. It is detailed, that's why good stuff sounds good and bad stuff sounds bad. Bad Sub base sounds horrible on the XB90EX too, while the Sennheiser HD598 just makes it sound almost good, or not as bad as the previous too.

Pretty sure hype has little to do with it. I still like how the mids are presented on the Xb90EX better (basicaly, something in the frequency response of the xb90ex pleases my ears and make the mids sound better) and don't thinks ZS5 is better than the XB90EX in mids department, but it is better in different aspects. I'm not saying that these earphones are the BEST EVER, but they are the best overall package that I've heard. I have yet to hear a technical deficiency in these and that's what impresses me. Sound signature preferences is one thing, but how these perform is a different subject altogether. Thinner mids on some recordings is generally a minus for me, but then again, it's only on SOME of the recordings and that is what makes me think the ZS5 is not the problem in the chain of sound reproduction.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #19,033 of 64,346
yep. I'm saying that. all of the songs that sounded BAD on this phone sounded bad on others too, or at least not that good. ZS5 makes the bad recording more apparent, be it lack of soundstage, thinner mids and bloated sub-base lines. It is detailed, that's why good stuff sounds good and bad stuff sounds bad. Bad Sub base sounds horrible on the XB90EX too, while the Sennheiser HD598 just makes it sound almost good, or not as bad as the previous too.

Pretty sure hype has little to do with it. I still like how the mids are presented on the Xb90EX better (basicaly, something in the frequency response of the xb90ex pleases my ears and make the mids sound better) and don't thinks ZS5 is better than the XB90EX in mids department, but it is better in different aspects. I'm not saying that these earphones are the BEST EVER, but they are the best overall package that I've heard. I have yet to hear a technical deficiency in these and that's what impresses me. Sound signature preferences is one thing, but how these perform is a different subject altogether. Thinner mids on some recordings is generally a minus for me, but then again, it's only on SOME of the recordings and that is what makes me think the ZS5 is not the problem in the chain of sound reproduction.

Edit: Yes, I was saying that, albeit a bit differently but yeah... Still, hope this addition helps :D basically, ZS5 does not do anything wrong, or it does it to an extent that I can't notice. It is a good headphone, especially for the price. Something makes it reproduce crappy stuff really crappy, and I'm inclined to chalk it up to it being quite detailed and revealing. On that note, it also happily reproduces any hiss the audio source has, so take that into consideration :D

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #19,034 of 64,346
Edit: Yes, I was saying that, albeit a bit differently but yeah... Still, hope this addition helps :D basically, ZS5 does not do anything wrong, or it does it to an extent that I can't notice. It is a good headphone, especially for the price. Something makes it reproduce ****ty stuff really ****ty, and I'm inclined to chalk it up to it being quite detailed and revealing. On that note, it also happily reproduces any hiss the audio source has, so take that into consideration :D

mmmm i think headphones should sound good no matter what, i never bought into that whole "unforgiving" headphones are superior thing.

I think metal music is the ultimate test, if a busy metal track sounds detailed enough, yet smooth and enjoyable and not harsh then you can say the IEM would do well from a technical standpoint.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #19,035 of 64,346
Oops. Wrong thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back