Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #18,661 of 64,362
No, my Beat Cronus cable... the only aftermarket 2 pin cable I have ( :frowning2: )

Cheers.

Don't know if you saw my earlier post about the KZ cables (silver and stock with and without mic) not working on my S8?

If you don't mind checking, I am curious to see if they work using the stock cable with your S8+ as this will identify whether it's possibly just my phone.?

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #18,662 of 64,362
The ZS5 definitely cannot handle volume in the same way that the ZST can, which disappoints me slightly... great tonality for the money, but the ZS5 breaks up at relatively modest volumes, at least in my case, and I'm only using an iPhone 7S and Galaxy S8+

Keeping the volume in check the ZS5 is superior, but if wanting to crank up the volume is the aim of your game, the ZST is definitely the better of the two IMO.

This has been my experience as well. Push the volume too far, and the bass bloat gets really sloppy. Keep it at moderate levels, and it really shines.

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #18,663 of 64,362
Cheers.

Don't know if you saw my earlier post about the KZ cables (silver and stock with and without mic) not working on my S8?

If you don't mind checking, I am curious to see if they work using the stock cable with your S8+ as this will identify whether it's possibly just my phone.?
It isn't your phone, I think I quoted you a couple of pages back, mentioning that I was demoing several pairs of oBravo IEMs a couple of weeks back, and one of those (cables, bearing in mind they're detachable) didn't work either.

Makes me wonder if Samsung have been very marginal with their tolerances for the pole width on the jack... Causing perceived faults if ever so slightly off.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #18,664 of 64,362
My ZS5 are here!

Currently trying with the silver cable, and testing for this. I think they are OK with regard to phase!

Centre Is at a lower volume, but feels in one place.
Twisted sounds like it is louder, but has a slight bouncy-news between the two ears. Would that imply all is OK?

Also I tried the binaural test, and what the hell, I thought someone was knocked on my door and went to open it!

Going to test against my IE80 later (which I have moulded in ear tips) and will pass on feedback
Looks like your ZS5 is perfectly fine without phase issue. The binaural test fooled many including me...lol.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #18,665 of 64,362
The ZS5 definitely cannot handle volume in the same way that the ZST can, which disappoints me slightly... great tonality for the money, but the ZS5 breaks up at relatively modest volumes, at least in my case, and I'm only using an iPhone 7S and Galaxy S8+

Keeping the volume in check the ZS5 is superior, but if wanting to crank up the volume is the aim of your game, the ZST is definitely the better of the two IMO.
Yes, the ZST is slightly more efficient than the ZS5 probably because it's easier to drive 2 drivers per side as opposed to 4 drivers per side on the ZS5. ZST plays slightly louder and sound more dynamic on my S7 Edge compared to ZS5. Mids on the ZST is a little more forward than the ZS5 too.

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #18,667 of 64,362
i tried the ZS5 during the weekend and they heavily distorted with the c5d in high volume (low gain), wich it didnt happen with the ZST.
Thanks for confirming for me that I'm not alone :)

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #18,668 of 64,362
Checked my ZST silver cable last night, still fully silver and can't find a speck of green anywhere. I haven't used them as much, but they're sitting in a drawer in a tropical humid climate.

BTW my KZ BT module arrived, works pretty well with the ZST. You do hear the compression with BT but it's not so bad, definitely better sounding than my JBL BT minis.
The cable is a bit too long though, and I took out the memory wire right away, but since the cable is meant to rest behind your neck, the over the ear design doesn't work super well coz there's nothing weighing it down. So I'm using the silicone earguides

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #18,669 of 64,362
Checked my ZST silver cable last night, still fully silver and can't find a speck of green anywhere. I haven't used them as much, but they're sitting in a drawer in a tropical humid climate.

BTW my KZ BT module arrived, works pretty well with the ZST. You do hear the compression with BT but it's not so bad, definitely better sounding than my JBL BT minis.
The cable is a bit too long though, and I took out the memory wire right away, but since the cable is meant to rest behind your neck, the over the ear design doesn't work super well coz there's nothing weighing it down. So I'm using the silicone earguides

It will in time. Takes 3-6 months before you start to notice a faint green tinge. Then a few months after that it will be blatantly obvious.

I hope my BT cable shows up soon - I'm getting tired of waiting!

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #18,671 of 64,362
About 3 months here, so far so good.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #18,672 of 64,362
What's everyone using to remove the memory wire? I know some people mention nail clippers, but it's an awfully thin pvc which makes me slightly wary. Then again if I mess up, I do have the other cable.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #18,673 of 64,362
What's everyone using to remove the memory wire? I know some people mention nail clippers, but it's an awfully thin pvc which makes me slightly wary. Then again if I mess up, I do have the other cable.

The metal wire and the actual cable are sheathed under those heat shrink wrap. I line up the metal wire facing up, then use a box cutter to shave off the edge of the heat shrink wrap with the metal wire underneath, so there's limited risk in cutting into the actual cable. Once the heat shrink wrap is taken off, then use either a nail clipper (altho you might ding it up) or just bend the wire back and forth (what I did) and eventually it'll snap off. Trim the remaining heat shrink wrap if there's any left.

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #18,674 of 64,362
Legit question: Does 'burn in' can fix a dynamic driver that produce an unwanted trembling sound?

Again, I have received a problematic KZ unit. This time I ordered a KZ ZST candy version and it sounds like the right unit have less bass, and if I tested it with oscillator, it will give an obvious trembling-like sound when producing sine wave at around 60 Hz frequency. My best guess is that the dynamic driver probably either have a pierced diaphragm or loose voice coil, though maybe the diaphragm not flexible enough and requires a burn in? Idk. Previously I bought a carbon KZ ZST and the left unit have the same problem. Tried to fix my carbon ZST but ended up tearing the dynamic driver and the connecting voice coil when prying it.

Seriously what the hell, 2 out of 3 purchase have QC issue. I want to return this unit, but since return and resend fee is not free from this seller, and I'll be pissed if I receive another defective unit.
Really wondering what sheaningans awaits for those who already bought the ZS5 and expecting the upcoming ZSR.

Side note: I'm loving this new candy ZST cable with memory wire. That ZST carbon cable with weights is probably the dumbest idea I've ever seen.

u77aDAS.jpg

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #18,675 of 64,362
Nail clippers do the job but you just need to take your time and make sure you're just cutting the outer wrap and not touching the inside.
I already have 1 casualty cable - the original one that came with my zs3.

Also i'm pretty sure the distortion on the ZS5 is the problem i'm having. It just doesn't sound right. I'm not sure what it is. I thought it was the mids at first but now i'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my ZS5 in particullar. It's almost like the sound is not coherent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back