Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #18,212 of 63,942
I wanted to let everyone know that my KZ-made silver plated upgrade cables on both my ZS3 and ZST are starting to turn green.

The ZS3 cable is about 6 months old, and the ZST one about 4 months old. The older one is definitely greener than the younger one though.

I don't use it while working out either, so it's not being affected by sweat or moisture. They stay sealed in KZ plastic hard boxes whenever I'm not listening to them, stored indoors.

The cable insulation feels like PVC, which would explain the air getting in causing the oxidation.

Just thought I'd let you know, since these are the same optional silver-plated cables sold with the ZS5. So don't be alarmed if yours start discolor after around 3 months old.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #18,213 of 63,942
I wanted to let everyone know that my KZ-made silver plated upgrade cables on both my ZS3 and ZST are starting to turn green.

The ZS3 cable is about 6 months old, and the ZST one about 4 months old. The older one is definitely greener than the younger one though.

I don't use it while working out either, so it's not being affected by sweat or moisture. They stay sealed in KZ plastic hard boxes whenever I'm not listening to them, stored indoors.

The cable insulation feels like PVC, which would explain the air getting in causing the oxidation.

Just thought I'd let you know, since these are the same optional silver-plated cables sold with the ZS5. So don't be alarmed if yours start discolor after around 3 months old.
The same thing happened to my Shure se215 silver/transparent cables, every copper part in the cable turned dark green, especially where you have memory wire. It doesn't change sound at all, just looks interesting. Keep in mind that there is just a small amount of copper in that cable.
Shure se846 comes with the same cable in the box, so... Could you post a picture to see how green it gets?
20170331_125810.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #18,214 of 63,942

It's a copper patina. Normal reaction.

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #18,215 of 63,942

when they start to turn green, you should notice a slight dip in the mid frequencies. Some people also notice a slight narrowing of the soundstage...but only on classical music composers who were born in France.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #18,216 of 63,942
when they start to turn green, you should notice a slight dip in the mid frequencies. Some people also notice a slight narrowing of the soundstage...but only on classical music composers who were born in France.

Phew, I almost threw a fit, but read the last part :beyersmile:

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #18,217 of 63,942
My silver cable is still ok, it's been about 6 months also and i live in a pretty dang humid place (can get to 100% in the summer...)
But then I haven't used it that much, just sitting in the box in a drawer

Perhaps the "silver" plating is (like the gold one for ZS5) just cosmetic and not actual silver? hmm...

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #18,218 of 63,942
IMG_20170612_141949.jpg
My silver cable is still ok, it's been about 6 months also and i live in a pretty dang humid place (can get to 100% in the summer...)
But then I haven't used it that much, just sitting in the box in a drawer

Perhaps the "silver" plating is (like the gold one for ZS5) just cosmetic and not actual silver? hmm...
Well I seriously doubt it is actual silver, but I did see this picture mentioning Kevlar fiber

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #18,219 of 63,942
Well I seriously doubt it is actual silver, but I did see this picture mentioning Kevlar fiber

Kevlar is probably those fibers in the pic that help the wire gain tensile strength, but you can see the wires are supposedly silver plated.
Silver plated copper wires are pretty common, and not that expensive since you're using very little silver. Gold plated meanwhile is both more expensive (gold price > silver) while not delivering any supposed benefits (gold conductivity < copper < silver)

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #18,223 of 63,942
For me the silver cable somehow gave me sound properties of a copper cable than a silver.

The gold sound very similar or same as the stock cable.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #18,225 of 63,942
3 different colors so that assembly is easier. You know which wire is which. If you have all the same color wire, you've got to follow the lengths all the way down the wire which takes time, and time is money. If you've ever built or looked inside a computer, power supplies generally have multicolored wires. This is done for the same reason, and the colors are actually standardized now. You generally only find all-black cables on more expensive power supplies because as stated before, it takes more assembly and QC time. And time = money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back