Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 5, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #16,351 of 64,015
My view on ZS3 vs ATR.

ATR is more mid forward, has better soundstage and slightly better clarity vs the ZS3, although nothing groundbreaking. It's a very competent earphone overall regardless of the price.

The ZS3 is better for bass impact especially sub-bass, isolation is excellent and the ZS3 will cope with poor quality recordings without losing musicality.

ATR is a better all-rounder but the ZS3 has the edge for bass driven genres.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #16,353 of 64,015
  Ok, looks like it's just between ZS3 and QKZ W1 Pro now.
Local store's upcomings including silver cable upgrade for ZS3. Worth it?

I have the ATR and W1 Pro. Both great value for the price. The ATR fits my ears really well and is actually one of the top in my inventory for noise isolation. The cable on the W1 Pro is ridiculously good for a sub $10 iem (similar to LZ A2S/A4 cable). From memory I'd say the ATR has a slightly better sound but to be honest I haven't listened to my W1 Pro for a long time.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #16,355 of 64,015
KZ ATR TRASH cuz it sell below kz ate and doesn't upgrade the sound its just plain cheap iem with nothing to be impress on.

Im hate my atr all this time it sound bad after hearing from aukey ep-b4 (blutooth earphones) it has more forward sound than this thing and alot of bass, it worthless thing that I've bought,i need recommendations guys.

But the atr sound superb for the price.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #16,357 of 64,015
Hey guys how durable is ve monk iem in term of built quality?

I can say that the build quality is very good despite its not made of metal.

The housing is probably the weakest aspect of it, since its using much recycled design of senn mx500 housing. And tue cable is probably the best part of it, much better and thicker than any kz cable since its not springy feel really sturdy.

It's worth to mention that you shouldn't really expect much from it, well from the monk+ anyway. Since the original monk was awesome but the monk+ kinda mediocre in my opinion

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #16,358 of 64,015

Even if you're treble sensitive, use them for a few days on a lower volume than you'd normally listen to and your brain will auto-EQ for you. ZST Colorful is a solid choice though. I would recommend the ATE as well. ATE is more neutral and warm, but doesn't have the soundstage and pure clarity of the ZST colorfuls.

Some on this thread say that the ZST and the ZST colorfuls are the same but with different housing; like this guy http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/16215#post_13279769 and this guy http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/16215#post_13279769

I want to buy a ZST pair but now I'm not sure whether to get the colorfuls or the regular ones.??  
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #16,359 of 64,015
  Some on this thread say that the ZST and the ZST colorfuls are the same but with different housing; like this guy http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/16215#post_13279769 and this guy http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread/16215#post_13279769

I want to buy a ZST pair but now I'm not sure whether to get the colorfuls or the regular ones.??  
confused_face(1).gif

Hi, I'm one of those guys. They are both almost completely identical sounding. I noticed a small difference between them on the first days but that could have been attributed to the lack of burn-in of the newer model since then, I have been unable to tell the difference between them.

You will get a bigger difference between the ZST if you buy the optional silver cable though be warned that that difference is also a very mild one. It slightly tones down the higher frequencies of the earphone making them sound ever so slightly less strident and more comfortable to listen for longer periods of time.

Mar 5, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #16,360 of 64,015

The KZ ATR is basically like a budget version of the KZ ZS3. A typical V-shaped earphone with nice bass, decent clarity and excellent value, probably the best value out of KZ's lineup but I wouldn't pick it over the ZS3, the ZST, the ED9 or the ATE. They are decent in their own right and if you can't afford the other models it's worth a purchase but when the price difference is so small, I'd recommend saving a bit more for any of the other models if you can.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #16,361 of 64,015

Hi, I'm one of those guys. They are both almost completely identical sounding. I noticed a small difference between them on the first days but that could have been attributed to the lack of burn-in of the newer model since then, I have been unable to tell the difference between them.

You will get a bigger difference between the ZST if you buy the optional silver cable though be warned that that difference is also a very mild one. It slightly tones down the higher frequencies of the earphone making them sound ever so slightly less strident and more comfortable to listen for longer periods of time.

That's good to know because I like the housing of the regular ones. Have the detachable cables been reliable?   

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #16,362 of 64,015
  That's good to know because I like the housing of the regular ones. Have the detachable cables been reliable?   

I don't know because ever since I received the silver cable I've been using it instead.

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #16,363 of 64,015
Hey all,

I'm upgrading from my Xiaomi Piston 3s. I'm torn between getting the KZ ZST and the Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD.

Which might suit me better? I prefer tight detailed bass, rich detailed mids, clear highs and a wide sound stage. Which of the 2 delivers best on these traits? 

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #16,364 of 64,015
I would advise against silver KZ cables.
Personally i find there to be no difference over the regular wire, but that's neither here nor there, maybe my hearing's bad, maybe it needs burnin.I wouldn't rely on cables to change the sound of the headphones.

The main issue with it is that the jack doesn't work with some devices and it hasnt worked on a single samsung phone i've tried it with. Meaning i cant use it with my phone and can barely use it with on which it disengages at the slightest tug.

I'm bummed about it because it looks and feels much better than the regular cable.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #16,365 of 64,015
  Hey all,

I'm upgrading from my Xiaomi Piston 3s. I'm torn between getting the KZ ZST and the Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD.

Which might suit me better? I prefer tight detailed bass, rich detailed mids, clear highs and a wide sound stage. Which of the 2 delivers best on these traits? 

Neither. I recommend the ZS3 instead.

To elaborate on why, the ZST and Xiaomi earphones do have some good characteristics but tight bass is not one of them. The highs are very clear on the ZST, up to a point where they are strident or uncomfortable for some people and although I'm not very sensitive to high frequencies they can get uncomfortable after long hearing sessions. The Xiaomi Pro, while I haven't listened to them myself I have the previous Hybrid model and it seems that the Pro model only addressed some of its shortcomings and even got some new ones, which it shares with the ZST in the form of very strident or harsh high frequencies.

The ZST is a W shaped earphones and it is very lively and forward sounding. Vocals sound incredible on them, particularly female. The Xiaomi seems to share the harsh high frequencies but its frequency response is V shaped and it has most of the benefits and short-comings that come with that.

The ZS3 while being a V-shaped earphone has a much more balanced presentation, it has a warm and comforting signature that doesn't skip on details and is much more comfortable and better suited for more genres of music.

You can get either a very strident and lively, but tiresome, ZST, a very strident V-shaped Xiaomi Pro with meh soundstage. The ZS3 that is a very solid, warm-sounding bassy, but not bloated, comfortable IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back