Knockoffs, fake headphones...do they exist?
Jul 28, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkadelic
Pretty much all the fakes I have heard about are buds/canalphones etc.as they are far easier to fake than full-size cans, as they are so much smaller and the inner workings are completely hidden. From the positive feedback the fake sellers on ebay get it seems most people who 'updgrade' from bundled earbuds to fake higher end earbuds can't tell the difference anyway.

Simon

I thought the consensus that the "fake" Chinese eBay EP-630's were truly OEM versions. Wasn't the consensus that they were from the same manufacturer, Foster's of Japan, as branded EP-630's (and MD33s, and CX300s)?

Jul 28, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
I thought the consensus that the "fake" Chinese eBay EP-630's were truly OEM versions. Wasn't the consensus that they were from the same manufacturer, Foster's of Japan, as branded EP-630's (and MD33s, and CX300s)?

Yes, the ep-630/cx-300 on ebay are OEM, and mostly say so in the ads. Many head-fiers including me have them and can attest to their authenticity. It's a particularly popular model for this sort of clearing-house pricing because it was produced in China from a design shared by at least three companies. I haven't heard any insider info about who actually did the design on these things, but I think Creative or Senn would have shut down the ebay dealers if they could, so these seem to be kosher merchandise.

It's funny, the most common knockoffs all seem to be earbuds, especially the Senn and AT ones. I imagine it's because they're easier to imitate than full size and have a much larger potential market, and one that is less likely to realize it's been given a fake. Typical mx500 buyers are easily duped by the thousand while the tiny handful of HD650 buyers will know a fake in a second. There's no chance for profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back