Knockoffs, fake headphones...do they exist?
Jul 27, 2006 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vinyl addict

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone has come across any fake brand name headphones. If they exist, which model or brand should we look out for.

We all know of the usual suspects:
- cables (Cardas, I've seen it)
- tubes (Siemens, TFK's)
- software (videos, cd's)
- clothing
- sporting goods
- etc, etc...

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 18
Someone posted a knockoff of an AD700 a few days ago and Goldrings are sorta-kinda knoch offs of Sennheiser HDxxx's. They look very similar.

Jul 27, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Someone posted a knockoff of an AD700 a few days ago and Goldrings are sorta-kinda knoch offs of Sennheiser HDxxx's. They look very similar.

I don't think Goldrings are the sort of knock-off were are talking about here. They may look kinda similar to some of the Senns, but nobody is trying to deceive anyone and they are not sold as Senns.

Pretty much all the fakes I have heard about are buds/canalphones etc.as they are far easier to fake than full-size cans, as they are so much smaller and the inner workings are completely hidden. From the positive feedback the fake sellers on ebay get it seems most people who 'updgrade' from bundled earbuds to fake higher end earbuds can't tell the difference anyway.

Simon

Jul 27, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 18
Them Shure E4 knock-offs, the Shure E4D? o_O

Jul 27, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 18
RGAITALIA headphones on Ebay are fakes.
The seller sold me some AT EC7's and Audio Technica UK had a look at them and wrote to me they were fake!!!

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 18
I bought a pair of the fake EC-7's off ebay for like $20. Build quility is excellent, they really do look like the real thing, but they really do not sound that good. They have almost no bass, and they just sound so unnatural. I just could not imagine a >$100 headphone sounding like this. My PortaPro's sound so many times better than the fake EC-7's

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 18
I can imagine cables are easily coped. In the case of a Cardas cable, just buy a few rolls of cable the same colour/diameter, some Ratshack 1/4" connectors and some heatshrink with 'Cardas' written on it. The headphone connectors might be tricky...

...and they're copies not fakes. They're not cheese-sandwiches disguised as headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back