knife-fi?
Aug 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,336 of 2,248
Quote:
yeah my balisongs are cheep flippers as well. I was looking for something rugged and that's why benchmade seemed good to me. They are simple, rugged, and have a great warranty. the B&S does look good however.

I think I'm in love.....
http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=315

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=318

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=243

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=253

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=222

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=223

oh yes, im thinking of getting me one of their Weehawk blade, Silver Handle/ Black Grip balisongs.
Thats one of those Classic looking Balisongs

yea, Pinoysteel, a great place to find legitimate FHM bali's when i first loaded the site. It was love at first sight

Aug 17, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,337 of 2,248
The problem I have with them is that they are very rough looking knifes and I saw no warranty.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,338 of 2,248
Quote:
The problem I have with them is that they are very rough looking knifes and I saw no warranty.

The problem with B&S knives or FHM knives?

FHM knives ARE handcrafted unlike in America or China.
as America has MUCH cleaner and more proficient ways of making Balisongs. and better materials indeed.
FHM knives are handcrafted. real sweat and blood. and alot of Elbow grease.

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,339 of 2,248
Yeah the FHM knives.They look cool yes, but rather flimsy for the price. well they LOOK flimsy, I cannot say for sure as I have never used one.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,340 of 2,248
Quote:
Yeah the FHM knives.They look cool yes, but rather flimsy for the price. well they LOOK flimsy, I cannot say for sure as I have never used one.

sorry for the late reply, Well. i've never held a FHM balisong either..
but i do plan to when i get more involved with my new interest.

But i can predict they are indeed better quality than Chinese Charming Cheapo's

as most philippine-made products are known to be Good quality for a low price

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #1,341 of 2,248
Some ATCF's I own.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #1,342 of 2,248

Folding Pocket Comb, or Switchcomb, or Combblade, Stiletto Comb, whatever you call it.
Awesome novelty item i got it for 2 Dollars at a Beachside store

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,343 of 2,248
i've been practicing my Freehand sharpening with a water stone with my Kitchen knives, and been sharpening my Relatives kitchen knives with their waterstone, which is pretty old.
but their stone is at a Finer grit than mine.

so i suppose i kinda got the whole sharpening thing mastered, i just need to learn how to either scrape away or Fix a large Dent on the Blade.. because a large nick like that isnt good for cutting.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,347 of 2,248
lol nice, what brand?

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #1,348 of 2,248
Ah there's knife people here too :).
For everyday carry i got my Victorinox Swiss Tool X, imo most heavy duty multitool out there. only thing i don't like in Victorinox are their knife blades. Also the handle, when using the knife on this is so square, pretty much the only downside. So i tend to have knife on me.
Iv had couple Leatherman multitools, ain't as good as the swiss tool imo.

So on to the knives
Benchmade Gravitator with wharncliff blade, its gorgeus love it. Keep it sometimes with me.
Benchmade 53 Bali-Song. I'm not into balisongs and all that flipping. I like the looks on this one togh, more like a real tool knife.
TOPS MX4 Punisher, From the Punisher movies. Its huge and really heavy. I don't like the micarta handle tough. Wonder if i could get G10 scales for it. Love the material on my Benchmades.
Lapinpuukko (finnish knife maker) model Nylkypuukko. My best knife for all around. if i know im going to need i knife, i grab this with me.
Blade length 97mm, induction hardened carbon steel blade. Blades edge @ 63hrc. Bought it while i was in the army.

I would love to get CRKT Pharaoh tough. Too bad i did some audio gear purchases recently, damn head-fi.

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #1,350 of 2,248
Quote:
is there a Problem in using Pullthru sharpeners?

because i wanna keep my kitchen knives sharp, and my Balisongs Sharper

Pull-through sharpeners won't do anything for your blades other than keep them fairly blunt - in fact, as an ex-chef I can say that every knife I've ever seen sharpened on a pull through was blunter than the worst sharpening effort of first-timers on whetstones, wetstones or even drystones. Pull-through sharpening gives a 50/50 bevel, and many knives are sharpened for handedness either to single bevel or 30/70 (right-handed). Less commonly found are 20/80 etc (and 80/20, 70/30), while no-one really bothers with 60/40 as it's not worth losing the benefits of an ambidextrous knife for what amounts to very little benefit for someone who prefers a handed knife (ie. won't buy it anyway).

If you care at all for your knives, sharpen them using stones. It's more effort to keep up a truly sharp blade, but there's a lot of metal on a knife to lose over time. 

Remember: always practise sharpening your best knives last - practise creating an edge in soft steel, maintaining an edge in medium steel and then and only then, refining a blad of hard (high-carbon) steel.

PS. Through-pulling on a HC knife is likely to blunt the rollers/plates and/or chip the knife from shearing forces. It's a bad idea if you have anything at all from JapaneseChefsKnives (JCK) or their other knife shop to take it anywhere near a through-pull. Put it in the bin and sit down with your mom to watch lessons on sharpening from youtube/vimeo.

Didn't intend to write this much - got all up in arms :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back