knife-fi?
Aug 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #1,351 of 2,251
Quote:

Pull-through sharpeners won't do anything for your blades other than keep them fairly blunt - in fact, as an ex-chef I can say that every knife I've ever seen sharpened on a pull through was blunter than the worst sharpening effort of first-timers on whetstones, wetstones or even drystones. Pull-through sharpening gives a 50/50 bevel, and many knives are sharpened for handedness either to single bevel or 30/70 (right-handed). Less commonly found are 20/80 etc (and 80/20, 70/30), while no-one really bothers with 60/40 as it's not worth losing the benefits of an ambidextrous knife for what amounts to very little benefit for someone who prefers a handed knife (ie. won't buy it anyway).

If you care at all for your knives, sharpen them using stones. It's more effort to keep up a truly sharp blade, but there's a lot of metal on a knife to lose over time. 

Remember: always practise sharpening your best knives last - practise creating an edge in soft steel, maintaining an edge in medium steel and then and only then, refining a blad of hard (high-carbon) steel.

PS. Through-pulling on a HC knife is likely to blunt the rollers/plates and/or chip the knife from shearing forces. It's a bad idea if you have anything at all from JapaneseChefsKnives (JCK) or their other knife shop to take it anywhere near a through-pull. Put it in the bin and sit down with your mom to watch lessons on sharpening from youtube/vimeo.

Didn't intend to write this much - got all up in arms :/

thanks, i never got me a Pullthru since i hear that MOST pullthru's really Shave off more metal with the Carbide side than the course side of a stone.
I always had a Whetstone thats REALLY old, my Mom told me to use it so i did.

Took a bit of awhile till i got the hang of it.
I pretty much Semi-Mastered the Stone sharpener

i always sharpen my family's knives, since i heard they usually go to my uncle who uses his Electric Sharpener
they had a stone in a higer grit than mine, and My results were better! :)

Aug 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,352 of 2,251
I really cant believe I havent posted these before.
My throwing knives!

and a hand made skining knife me and my dad made, the handle I still need to varnish is made of purple heart. it is also made from 440 steel and buffed to hell until it shone like the sun.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,353 of 2,251
Terzuola ATCF tanto w/ blood groove on titanium bolstered carbon fiber handles
Tom Mayo Covert in 6K Stellite
Old school Terzuola ATCF spear point downswept blade (one of my favorites)

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,354 of 2,251
Quote:
thanks, i never got me a Pullthru since i hear that MOST pullthru's really Shave off more metal with the Carbide side than the course side of a stone.
I always had a Whetstone thats REALLY old, my Mom told me to use it so i did.

Took a bit of awhile till i got the hang of it.
I pretty much Semi-Mastered the Stone sharpener

i always sharpen my family's knives, since i heard they usually go to my uncle who uses his Electric Sharpener
they had a stone in a higer grit than mine, and My results were better! :)

I recently scored a ten inch Sabatier professional, carbon steel, not the pretty stainless you see today.  I cleaned off the surface rust and worked the edge down with medium and fine diamond hones, and finished off with a Fiskars ceramic pull-thru.  The edge is even, smooth, and I can now peel off slices of single sheets of paper.  It works for me.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,355 of 2,251
Quote:
yeah my balisongs are cheep flippers as well. I was looking for something rugged and that's why benchmade seemed good to me. They are simple, rugged, and have a great warranty. the B&S does look good however.

I think I'm in love.....
http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=315

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=318

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=243

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=253

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=222

http://pinoysteel.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90_91&product_id=223

I have a rather large Balisong collection, to include four phillipine made balis from the Batangas region.  The Batangas region is where most handmade balis in the pi are made.  The blades are usually made from tempered carbon steel (old car leaf springs), mainly this is bcause the steel is already tempered and doesnt need to be heat treated.  One thing that must be understood about traditional balis is they dont have bushings (only the modern ones do) so they are very stiff when you get them and recquire a signifigant break in period.   Grind lines are usually slightly off since the are done be stock removal and then shaped and sharpened using hand tools.  In practical use the cnc made ones from spyderco, benchmade, microtech, bear&sons and BS are superior.  I have several models of modern ones  the Bradley made kimuras (which are made by benchmade) flip well but are a bit on the healy side.  My favorite is the original tachyon from microtech.  I am very pleased they are rereleasing it in a larger blade pattern.  I also am intrigued by protechs new bali using the same blade profile as its godfather automatic.  I have been trying for several years to get my hands on a Coldsteel arcangel but it was only produced for a short time and they are rare.  Just my 2 cents. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,356 of 2,251
Quote:
I have like 4 but they are all very cheep ones, still very sharp but very cheep. I use them so often*idle hands* that they tend to break. I was going to buy a bench made one...but I have a very hard time dropping $350 on a knife that sole use will be a  plaything. I new regret asking you where you bought that knife as I now want to spend nearly 700$ on the Kris balisong.

Try a bradley kimura or a bear tac balis.  They can be got for $90 and flip well.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,360 of 2,251
I've had 3 SOG Flash IIs now. I always lose them, but they are great knives. Gotta love the assisted opening. I am interested in something else this time around though... just for fun I guess. I now have conceal carry license, so I can get a little more exotic or go with a nice fixed-blade.

I am also into straight razors... not exactly a knife, but pretty similar. I appreciate the craftsmanship put into something like a good Thiers-Issard blade. I'll get a picture and post when I get a chance.

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #1,363 of 2,251
Quote:
I've had 3 SOG Flash IIs now. I always lose them, but they are great knives. Gotta love the assisted opening. I am interested in something else this time around though... just for fun I guess. I now have conceal carry license, so I can get a little more exotic or go with a nice fixed-blade.

I am also into straight razors... not exactly a knife, but pretty similar. I appreciate the craftsmanship put into something like a good Thiers-Issard blade. I'll get a picture and post when I get a chance.

Visit the thread:

Shaving, gents

:D

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,365 of 2,251

Fossil BQ9165, Elite Force M1911a1 Airsoft Blowback pistol, and Bear and Son 114B Balisong.

that Balisong is lasting me more than a year, which is great!
after some heavy-to-moderate flipping its still intact and strong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back