knife-fi?
Oct 16, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #676 of 2,248
Why buy a Knife if your not gonna stab anything with it? is it correct to assume they're collector items only?

Quote:
mini_c.jpg

http://www.palacio.ph/pandayan/

Anyone else find this incredibly neat?

Too bad they're ~ $200, illegal to import, illegal to own, and illegal to carry in Texas.
mad.gif

how can a certain knife be illegal in relation to other legal knives?

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #681 of 2,248
Just got my Breakout:

Amazingly light!

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #682 of 2,248

Quote:
Why buy a Knife if your not gonna stab anything with it? is it correct to assume they're collector items only?

knives are tools first and weapons second....dont even start that bull hockey here....99% of the people in this thread carry knives because they use them as tools, not because they want to stab something/someone with them....

...and blade lenth and the style of lock and opening mechanism are common things that dictate a knives legality....

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #683 of 2,248
The Speedform looks like a very nice knife, and certainly stands out from the crowd of G10/S30V/Ti sandwiches. I thought about picking one up, but I'm already on the hook for the HEST Folder and ZT055x sprint run preorders so had to skip out on the Speedform.

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #684 of 2,248
Quote:
The Speedform looks like a very nice knife, and certainly stands out from the crowd of G10/S30V/Ti sandwiches. I thought about picking one up, but I'm already on the hook for the HEST Folder and ZT055x sprint run preorders so had to skip out on the Speedform.

Im on the pre-order list too
smily_headphones1.gif
Knowing Jeff and Mike that's going to be one hell of a knife.
Any chance your a pack rat?

I second the comment about knives being tools, not safe queens.
I have several and they are all bushcraft or edc knives, from 2.5" blades to a 18" machete. Mainly ESEE's, and i lover beating them
smily_headphones1.gif

Just dropped the cash for a large Sebenza. When i first knew about them i couldn't understand why people drop that amount of cash for a knife.... We all know how that ends.
Got mail 10 minutes ago that it shipped, should take about 5 days from the states to europe. Pretty stoked tbh. Its definitely gonna be a user, probably edc together with the ESEE IZula.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #685 of 2,248
Not a pack rat unfortunately. Living in an apartment in a downtown metro area doesn't create much need for good sturdy fixed blades. The only heavy duty knife I have lying around is a Busse SAR4, and that's pretty much been relegated to the various kitchen tasks that my thin Japanese kitchen knives aren't suited for.

Nice pickup on the Sebenza BTW. I also used to have the "you paid what???" mindset on custom and high end production knives, and now have a decent sized collection of them from my quixotic "one true EDC knife" quest.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #686 of 2,248
Quote:

I stab regularly with my knives.  Granted, that's while preparing food.  But I also find them useful for opening packages, trimming a hangnail, shaving a bit of wood, and much else.  I don't see a pocketknife taking the place of a firearm, though.  Especially now that I live in a state with a much healthier view of concealed carry.

Some automatic knives are illegal.  It depends on the state you're in.  The state legislature usually spells out how large of a blade you can carry and whether/how a blade can unfold.

Stitch, very nice Sebenza!  I also swore that I'd never drop that kind of money on a knife.

However, I eventually caved and now carry a left-handed Mnandi.  It was worth every cent.

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #687 of 2,248

Quote:
Any chance your a pack rat?

Nope, never heard of them 
biggrin.gif
. Proud Rat Pack #36 here. Awesome to see another Packer on here! I don't know if I'll get the HEST folder or not,  but I'm definitely getting the Izula folder whenever it comes out

Got this Spyderco Gayle Bradley the other day and love it! Unbelievable f/f and the quality is superb for this price range and built in Taiwan. (Not my picture)

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #689 of 2,248
Right now a Kershaw blur in S30V is on the b-day list, if that falls through I'm buying one myself. Supposed to be really tough, and with arguably the best steel available. I'm tired of this mall ninja tanto crap in 440a that I've been putting up with, and my bi ol' ka-bar is great but obviously not EDCable.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #690 of 2,248

Quote:
Got this Spyderco Gayle Bradley the other day and love it! Unbelievable f/f and the quality is superb for this price range and built in Taiwan. (Not my picture)

All the Taiwanese Spydercos from Taichung that I've picked up have been uniformly excellent. At the same price point, they compare favorably to Spydercos from Golden and Seki City and those guys aren't exactly slackers either.

Quote:
Right now a Kershaw blur in S30V is on the b-day list, if that falls through I'm buying one myself. Supposed to be really tough, and with arguably the best steel available. I'm tired of this mall ninja tanto crap in 440a that I've been putting up with, and my bi ol' ka-bar is great but obviously not EDCable.

For toughness in the price class, I'd probably put the Blur behind the Griptilian and Manix 2. S30V is a bit better retention wise than the 154CM those two use, but is also much harder to sharpen. Overall, it's a nice knife with good ergos and a very slick A/O implementation, but I wouldn't recommend it over the other two unless A/O is a must have feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back