knife-fi?
Jul 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #646 of 2,248

Quote:
The emerson waves I have handled were either so loose that it felt like the blade would fall out or were too spendy to even consider.  Check out Zero Tolerance knives by Kershaw.

That's what I'm afraid of, for $200+ I don't care what the intended use of a knife is, it should have decent QC.

The ZT knives are all too fat and stubby for my liking, they are coming out with that new one that doesn't look too bad, but I have no clue when it's coming out.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #647 of 2,248
I like my ZT350 CB just fine.  It has normal G10 scales like a spyderco military.  If it was a little longer it would be perfect.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #648 of 2,248

Quote:
The ZT knives are all too fat and stubby for my liking, they are coming out with that new one that doesn't look too bad, but I have no clue when it's coming out.

Unless stabbing ability is your primary selection criteria, a wider blade is a huge benefit for knives with thicker blade stock. The width improves prying strength and allows the maker to put a steeper primary grind on the knife for better cutting ability. Hard duty knives without a wider blade (like the Hinderer XM-18) make for terrible cutters as the blade grinds preserve as much metal as possible to improve prying strength, resulting in a fairly obtuse primary grind. (Reason #1 why I don't EDC my XM-18. Spantos can't cut.)

Another suggestion for a defensive folder would be to find a secondhand Benchmade Rukus, or take a look at the Cold Steel Espada and Rajah series. Folders are terrible defensive weapons but going big makes them suck a bit less.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #649 of 2,248

Quote:

Quote:

Unless stabbing ability is your primary selection criteria, a wider blade is a huge benefit for knives with thicker blade stock. The width improves prying strength and allows the maker to put a steeper primary grind on the knife for better cutting ability. Hard duty knives without a wider blade (like the Hinderer XM-18) make for terrible cutters as the blade grinds preserve as much metal as possible to improve prying strength, resulting in a fairly obtuse primary grind. (Reason #1 why I don't EDC my XM-18. Spantos can't cut.)

Another suggestion for a defensive folder would be to find a secondhand Benchmade Rukus, or take a look at the Cold Steel Espada and Rajah series. Folders are terrible defensive weapons but going big makes them suck a bit less.

I wasn't talking the blade so much as the handle, I hate fat handles and all the ZTs that I see look huge.

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #650 of 2,248
They are BIG pocket knives that's for sure.  Better suited to big hands probably.

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #651 of 2,248
Just ordered a Cold Steel Spartan. I intend to carry it on patrol even though it opens at about 10.5 inches. Pics will follow once I get it in my hands :).

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #652 of 2,248
Anyone have the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian Tanto (557 S)?

Just ordered one on Amazon along with my textbooks, heh.  My brother has one of its bigger brothers, he recommended it to me.  Wanted to see if anyone here liked/disliked it ^_^

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #655 of 2,248
I don't ever carry knives near enough so I don't own a lot but I do love me a CRKT blade

These are the only 2 I own at the time.

Then I've got my KaBar that was given to me by my recruiter when I graduated boot camp.

Sorry, I don't have any actual images of my blades. I stole all of these. :wink:

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #656 of 2,248
skyline014ae2.jpg

Only knife I own, great utility EDC.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #657 of 2,248
My regular carry, is a late 90's CASE 31549L yellow-handled Copperlock, with a 3" Carbon Vandium blade.

I've collected a few American-made fixed blade hunting knives over the years:

1984 Western USA H40 & composite handle
1980 Western USA L66 & stacked leather handle
 Late 50's/early 60's Western  Boulder, Co. fixed blade Official Boy Scout hunting knife with stacked leather handle
Mid-60's Camillus 1007 & stacked leather handle
Early 40's Robeson Sureridge No. 20 & stacked leather handle
Late 30's Kinfolks #96 & stacked leather handle
1946-48 Queen Stainless Steel Finn blade with composite handle
(?) KA-BAR  Olean, NY with stacked leather handle
(?) Hunt Master/Spiegel USA.....10" bowie knife with stacked leather handle
(?) Utica Kutmaster USA..... 9 1/2" bowie knife with composite handle

Plus an early 50's R.J. Richter Mora Sweden fixed blade hunting knife with birch wood handle

My usual fishing knife (I do not hunt), is a modern Frosts/MORA of Sweden #760, with a 4" stainless steel fixed blade, and a bright yellow plastic handle.

Have fun!!
Steve.

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #658 of 2,248

Quote:
skyline014ae2.jpg

Only knife I own, great utility EDC.

I have the damascus version of that.  Sharp as hell, but I don't usually carry it just because it feels so cheap.  Probably due to only having one liner.  That and I have to tighten the pivot area constantly or else the blade rubs when tightening. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #659 of 2,248

Hello,
I just received this knife as a gift.
Its an A. G. Russell Lockback Folder.
I was wondering if anyone has any information on it?
When it was made, how much it might be worth, etc.
Thanks,
Ray

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #660 of 2,248
Bob Loveless transitioned September 2nd at age 81; we are diminished.  Bob was a genius knife designer and maker and a crusty old cur; one of my favorite quotes of his appeared in an interview he gave to Sports Illustrated.  Loveless said "The kind of American who aquires a lot of expensive things so that he can show them off to his peer group and thereby aquire more status is the kind of American that makes me puke."  Couldn't have said it better.  May your spirit soar with the One, Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back