knife-fi?
Jul 20, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #271 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Swedes still know how to make fine axes.

Yes, they do. They also make some very nice knives - I've been carrying a Fallkniven P-1 with a black micarta handle for awhile. It's a terrific knife and I've grown attached to it. This is not mine, but this is the same model:

fn-p1.jpg

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #274 of 2,248
I love my Shun kitchen knives. I also enjoy and use the Damascus Calphalons that I have as well.

For folders, there are many styles from which to choose. I have a couple of Benchmade Axis Locks that I like and others have mentioned.

I also have a few automatics that I like.
Below;
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Lone Wolf Diablo-DA, (double-action Automatic) CPM-S30V blade, cocobolo handles.[/size][/size]
3738699511_31558d5565_o.jpg

Here's a link to a short video that shows how the D/A mechanism works:

http://www.lonewolfknives.com/videos...23150_demo.wmv

It's also hard to go wrong with almost any offering from CRKT for a pocket folder.
Another one I carry occasionally is the SOG Tac automatic;
3739637932_ec15964ae4_m.jpg

The EDC I find most useful and carry far more often than any other knife is the Leatherman Skeletool CX
3739679458_f860ac10ed_o.jpg

It's lightweight, relatively compact, very practical, easy one handed access to the blade.
stewart.swf

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #275 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'm back to shopping for a daily carry. I love knives, always have; so it must have good hand-feel and be as practical as possible. Budget is about 200. Any recommendations highly recommended. Personal preference is to the SOG Tanto 3.75", love the shape.

If you're looking for a strong production tanto style blade, the Benchmade LFTi (BM760BK) is the hot ticket at the moment. CPM-M4 is pretty good stuff and it's a nice Bob Lum design. Should run under $200 at most online knife shops.

If you're looking for something heavier duty, the Zero Tolerance ZT300 can be found ~ $200 for a lightly used version. It's a tank of a knife with the weight to match. Sharpening a recurve can be a bit difficult if you're not used to it.

For value in a hard use folder, check out the Spyderco Manix 2. ~ $80, excellent ergonomics, pretty good steel, and the usual excellent Spyderco quality. The caged ball lock is also pretty neat.

The Spyderco Military/Paramilitary would likely be more practical in daily use though. They have much thinner blade geometries and make for much better slicers. Conversely, they're much less resistant to abuse due to the relatively fine points. Both can be had ~ $140.

Problem is though, practical varies between people. If I'm doing a lot of kitchen use, the LFTi/ZT300 would be a terrible choice compared to the Military due to the former's much thicker grind. Conversely, if I had to do light prying or stabbing, the LFTi would be a better choice. Then there's the people friendliness factor. None of these are particularly people friendly, but the ZT300 is especially bad in that calculation.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #276 of 2,248
I forgot to mention the Benchmade Osborne 207056 (940 SBK)

BTW, nice knife Marvin.

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #277 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for a strong production tanto style blade, the Benchmade LFTi (BM760BK) is the hot ticket at the moment. CPM-M4 is pretty good stuff and it's a nice Bob Lum design. Should run under $200 at most online knife shops.

If you're looking for something heavier duty, the Zero Tolerance ZT300 can be found ~ $200 for a lightly used version. It's a tank of a knife with the weight to match. Sharpening a recurve can be a bit difficult if you're not used to it.

For value in a hard use folder, check out the Spyderco Manix 2. ~ $80, excellent ergonomics, pretty good steel, and the usual excellent Spyderco quality. The caged ball lock is also pretty neat.

The Spyderco Military/Paramilitary would likely be more practical in daily use though. They have much thinner blade geometries and make for much better slicers. Conversely, they're much less resistant to abuse due to the relatively fine points. Both can be had ~ $140.

Problem is though, practical varies between people. If I'm doing a lot of kitchen use, the LFTi/ZT300 would be a terrible choice compared to the Military due to the former's much thicker grind. Conversely, if I had to do light prying or stabbing, the LFTi would be a better choice. Then there's the people friendliness factor. None of these are particularly people friendly, but the ZT300 is especially bad in that calculation.

All good recommendations...I have all of these except for the BM...the Manix 2 I sent to Krein to get reground into a FFG.

If you have a bit more cash, try springing for a used/new Strider SnG...

Brendan

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #278 of 2,248
Quote:

Ooh, the BM760BK does look very nice, I think I'm in love.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really not a fan of the ZT300 shape, would have to pass.

I generally don't do a lot of "kitchen use", I have cooking knives for this. I prefer something hard and rugged for general cutting, prying, sometimes screwdriver duty.
eek.gif
As for "people friendly", that actually made me laugh, I don't think knives in general are "people friendly" for anybody not holding it themselves.
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #279 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for "people friendly", that actually made me laugh, I don't think knives in general are "people friendly" for anybody not holding it themselves.
tongue.gif

You'd be surprised. There are huge variations in people friendliness as far as knives go.

This slipjoint below is well within the nonthreatening category. It's classy, small, non-locking, and pretty unobtrusive. It's my secondary EDC knife for when discretion has some value.

Ivory_Gunstock.png

My XM-18 is sort of in the middle. Sure it's a run of the mill tactical Ti/G10 folder, but the pink scale has a tendency of drawing 'What?" instead of "dangerous knife".

HindererLoRez.jpg

On the far end is the Graham Ringed Razel. Using this one in public will get 'scary axe murderer' looks from others. The ZT300 also fits in this category.

RingedRazel-1.jpg

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #280 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they do. They also make some very nice knives - I've been carrying a Fallkniven P-1 with a black micarta handle for awhile. It's a terrific knife and I've grown attached to it. This is not mine, but this is the same model:

fn-p1.jpg

How's the Micarta for grip compared to G10 and Zytel?

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #281 of 2,248
Wow, I just stumbled upon this thread. Truly awesome stuff and pics here, guys.

Here is my current collection. Mostly inexpensive blades, but some very nice ones, at least to me. The one at the top of the left column is my trusty Smith & Wesson Special Tactical Model CKTACBCP, purchased at Academy Sports & Outdoors for ten bucks. A really great knife. I bought another one later and it's still in the package.

DSCF0187.jpg

This is the knife I'm currently carrying, the Gerber Profile Fine Edge folder, bought at Academy once again, for twenty bucks. A really nice knife to carry and use.

DSCF0195.jpg

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #282 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the Micarta for grip compared to G10 and Zytel?

Micarta feels a lot like G10 when given a similiar surface finish. Not too surprising given that G10 is a Micarta variant. The main difference in feel is that Micarta has a bit more of an 'organic' feel as it will absorb moisture and oils and become a bit more tacky over time. Also unlike G10, manufacturers can also finish Micarta so that it is distinctly fuzzy (lots of fibers poking out of the phenolic resin) which can further increase grippiness. Main downsides are that it's not quite as tough as G10 and lighter Micarta colors can stain fairly easily.

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #283 of 2,248
Quote:

Micarta feels a lot like G10 when given a similiar surface finish. Not too surprising given that G10 is a Micarta variant. The main difference in feel is that Micarta has a bit more of an 'organic' feel as it will absorb moisture and oils and become a bit more tacky over time. Also unlike G10, manufacturers can also finish Micarta so that it is distinctly fuzzy (lots of fibers poking out of the phenolic resin) which can further increase grippiness. Main downsides are that it's not quite as tough as G10 and lighter Micarta colors can stain fairly easily.

Ah, quite helpful: Thank You! I think I'll stick to Zytel and G10 then. I've only felt G10 (don't own any knives with G10 scales) but I do own two with Zytel and I am rather happy with the material.

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #284 of 2,248
Quote:

I have a Spyderco Wayne Goddard Micarta knife that was my every day carry (EDC) till I found out they were becoming hard to find and worth more, so I switched to carrying my Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. I like the Micarta, but find mine is fairly smooth even though I carried it for several years.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #285 of 2,248
I got my Khukuri "Angkhola Supreme" yesterday. So happy with it. Its one heavy knife and its very sharp. One of my best buys ever i think.

dscf2462.jpg

dscf2499.jpg

dscf2490.jpg

dscf2501.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back