knife-fi?
Apr 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,011 of 2,248
Have been out of it for a while.

Looking for a non-black or non-tactical colored Spyderco Military, and want a shop I can reliably exchange if the blade doesn't lie centered closed. Imo bright colors are best for urban edc.

Any comments on Knife Center, or Bento Box? BB is too pricey, don't need S90V, but I'll take it if I have to. What about Cutlery Shoppe or New Graham, which were among my go to shops in the past. 

http://www.bentoboxshop.com/images/PE_Blue_Military.jpg

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP36GPDBL/spyderco-c36gpdbl-military-folding-knife-s110v-satin-plain-blade-bluepurple-g10-handles

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #2,012 of 2,248
I've bought with no issues from both Knife center and Bento Box. I also frequently buy from Knives Ship Free, and GPKnives

Good luck in your search!

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #2,013 of 2,248
I've bought with no issues from both Knife center and Bento Box. I also frequently buy from Knives Ship Free, and GPKnives

Good luck in your search!

+1

I've also used Knife Center. Blade HQ is another good vendor (if they have what you want).

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,014 of 2,248
Blade HQ is another good vendor (if they have what you want).

Yeah, Forgot about Blade HQ, they are fine to work with as well.

All these are good for standard production knives. If you are after customs, or other hard to finds, the options need to expand a bit.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2,016 of 2,248
Guess I go through this drill about once a year, ever since my short term memory's taken on challenged status. The release on the Military doesn't work for me. Too bad because for me the Military vs the Para is mostly about getting a stronger positive grip, without bringing the index forward of the scales.

Probably should have waited for the coming production run to save some bucks, but due to arrive next week is a Burple S110V Para 2.

I'll probably sell one of my 3 Para 2's, the one with the virgin blade (never, ever cut with), and carried only a hand full of times and sat in a drawer since.

Also have a ZT 0350, Serial 1217, S30V, same-o condition and use, and will go on the block as well.

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #2,018 of 2,248
Shipped on Sat., arrived today. QC looks up to standard. The plan was to send it out this week for a regrind, but now I'll take a day or two to reconsider.

http://i.imgur.com/knr001i.jpg

P.S. My Hinderer sold today. Was never completely happy with it. Now with my Para's...:O)

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,019 of 2,248
I don't envy whoever has to regrind S110V. Looks good man.

I just got my Fluted Ti Military (Massdrop sale) yesterday. Really pretty for a production knife.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,020 of 2,248
  I don't envy whoever has to regrind S110V. Looks good man.

I just got my Fluted Ti Military (Massdrop sale) yesterday. Really pretty for a production knife.

Always wanted one of those, good on you. I prefer how on the Military, the shape at the back of the handle, provides a better pinkie catch than on the PM2.

Roger that on the S110V.

May 9, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #2,021 of 2,248
I got this # 98, Great Eastern Cutlery, Northfield, Texas Cattle Knife in Kingwood, today.

May 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,022 of 2,248
Victorinox Fibrox Straight Edge is the chef's knife I've been looking for. My friend recommended to check it at http://www.homereviewed.com/ and made me buy this because of the good features and reviews. The blade is the right balance between stiff and flexible. The perfectly curved shape automatically starts that rocking motion that makes chopping a breeze. I've been skeptical about ever developing the ability to chop like the chefs on cooking shows. No longer. And to think -- it was my bad knives to blame all this time! I'm buying several of these to give as Christmas gifts this year.

May 13, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2,023 of 2,248
  Victorinox Fibrox Straight Edge is the chef's knife I've been looking for. My friend recommended to check it at http://www.homereviewed.com/ and made me buy this because of the good features and reviews. The blade is the right balance between stiff and flexible. The perfectly curved shape automatically starts that rocking motion that makes chopping a breeze. I've been skeptical about ever developing the ability to chop like the chefs on cooking shows. No longer. And to think -- it was my bad knives to blame all this time! I'm buying several of these to give as Christmas gifts this year.

After years of using cheap kitchen knives, when I finally spent a little extra for something decent, the increase in confidence from having a decent blade in my hand was a surprise.

It was also an easy decision to make at the time, as my local supermarket was heavily discounting the knives as an end-of-line offer. So instead of paying about £30, I got the chef's knife for under a tenner. Given the prices, I ended up buying the paring knife and breadknife from the same range as well. One of the best bargains I've picked up.

It was a Conran-designed range - not a professional knife for chefs like Global or Wusthof, but miles ahead of the Kitchen Devil (and similar brands) that I was used to at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back