Klipsch X11 or something else?
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Darknyt

New Head-Fier
IEM noob here, have a couple cheap sets (Klipsch X4, same in sport variant) but nothing over $100 yet. Have enjoyed a set of Senn 555's for going on 10 years now. Did the tape mod and liked the extra bass.

There is a deal today on a set of Klipsch X11 for about $115 (realizing the MSRP is a joke to begin with).

Question is are these are good set for the $ or would something like a Shure SE215 be a better investment.

Not much classical listening - mainly rock, top 40/100, hip-hop, whatever cool Spotify points me to. Would probably prefer some bass to completely accurate. I know I'm not worthy :)

Thanks in advance for advice.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 20
 Klipsch X11 are based on X10 which are known for their punchy bass, detailed mids, highs generaly very good sounding IEMs. Shure offers tighter seal and punchier bass with good mids, highs.

So based on your comment above, it seems you would say that the shure set are better in most respects and about $15 cheaper to boot.

Is that accurate?

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 20
The Klipschs have a mediocre build quality, especially, but not limited to the cord. I would stay away from these if I were you. They will sound better than the SE215 and at $115 the price is good, but based on their sound quality that's more or less what they should cost so don't think that it's an amazing deal.

Newegg was selling the RHA MA750i for $80 the past weeks but ran out of stock (from newegg directly, no third party sellers), and that was a much better option IMO, I don't know if they will be on sale again.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 20
You know, I had this nagging feeling in the back of my head I had once owned a set of something else. Sure enough I remembered I used to have a set of Etymotics.

Bought them several years ago and paid about $100 on a moderate sale so nothing too fancy. I haven't seen them around In a couple of years and kind of stopped caring because the bass on them was so weak they weren't fun to listen to. Plus the cord was really thin so they felt fragile.

Thanks for tips so far.

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 20
I got the x11s from Newegg for the $115.00. Outstanding deal for great IEMS. I had just picked up the x7i for $111.95 thinking that was a very good buy. I wanted the x11 but didn't want to pay $350 for them.In the end I got them both for less than $230.00. The x7i is really good the X11 is Great. Also a bonus not having that damn mic and controller I didn't want.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 20
Don't know if the OP has pulled the trigger yet, but I just wanted to chime in to discuss the durability of the Klipsch IEMs. I have carried a pair of X10's in my front pocket for over a year now, shoving them in and yanking them out of my pocket (which is usually a fairly tight fit) multiple times a day. I have had no problem with them yet. Considering how much listening time I've had with them being so close at hand, I easily got my $150 (what I paid for them) worth months ago. Seeing the cost of these X11's without the annoyance of the mic/remote of the X11i, I will definitely be picking up another pair as a backup.

I should also mention that I purchased these as a backup IEM for using while washing dishes and doing housework around other people where I might need to pluck them out of my ear and replace them repeatedly due to conversation, something which would be rather annoying with my W4's with foam tips. At the same time I also bought a pair of Yamaha EPH-100's which have a similar style of fit. However, once I listened to the X10's, the Westone's just started collecting dust and the Yamaha's never got much attention. The X10 (and I would assume the X11) are the absolutely most comfortable IEM I've had the chance to use and they are so easy to pop out and in at a moment's notice. And as for the sound, I was more than satisfied. I really have to work to get better sound out of my Westone's. It's possible, but it takes work. The X10's are just easy to get a good sound out of during daily use. Another IEM to consider at that price point and with great comfort/good sound combo is either the GR07 Classic or GR07 Bass Edition. Can't go wrong with any of those. But my X10's will still stay in my pocket.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 20
Thanks for your input. I had passed on them on the day I posted this, but when they went on sale again today I bit. Hopefully I enjoy them more than my Etymotics. If nothing else I can give them a test drive.

I also picked up a set of the Chinese dual drivers for $30 to see how they do. TTPOD TE-1 I think.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 20
Anyone have any thoughts on X11s @ $120 vs. my RE400s I have now? I love the clarity of the 400s, but would like a little more solid bass -- not have to jack up the bass EQ... I use them at home a little, but mostly gym.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 20
There is plenty of bass for me but I'm not a base head. The X11s are crystal clear and for the money $120.00 the best buy out there IMO. Key to bass is getting the right fit. Nothing can match the comfort except maybe my X7s.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 20
I ordered a pair, figured if I don't like them I can sell them at not much of a hit at $120. I just got them today. Bass and soundstage are nice. So far though, they are failing miserably my sibilance test (Moby, Everything is wrong). There's sibilance on songs where I never heard sibilance before. :frowning2:. So far, remind me of everything I disliked about S4s. I'll leave them burning for the weekend and try again in a couple of days.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 20
Newegg has a bunch of open box X11's for $89.00 - can't beat that... Unless they have a channel out - then you'd have to buy two - hope the dead channel on the second pair is the opposite of the first pair - then get out an exacto knife and start splicing - and you'd have a working pair for $178 - still under MSRP!

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 20
They are probably worth that, but I will not be keeping mine. The treble really is not very good for me. Guitars, cymbals, trumpets, etc. It isn't sibilant, just inaccurate; high register trumpet sounds like a freaking kazoo. :frowning2: Bass guitar is quite good though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back