Klipsch X10i vs. Etymotic ER-4P vs. Etymotic HF3
Jul 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

superfuture48

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I'm new to the forum and would like to get some advice.

I recently lost my Klipsch X10 and would like to find some replacements.  I loved X10s as I thought the sound was good.  The best thing about them was the fit and comfort.  I could basically wear them for hours at a time.  I have no experience with Etymotic but have read about the company and many reviews and have come away impressed.

I would like the earphones to be as small as possible (from pics they all seem to be the same size?).  I'd also like them to be comfortable enough to have them in my ear for hours at a time.  I listen to predominantly classic rock, jazz, and some hip hop.  I would also like them to be functional with my Apple IPhone 5 if possible.  

Price is not an issue and any recs would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 20
In brief, a comparison of the x10 to the ER4s.  Sorry, I don't have the ER4Ps.

Micriphonics: X10 wins
Comfort: X10 slight advantage
Bass: X10 much more prominent and extended
Highs: ER4S is much more defined and prominate
Ambience: I give the nod to the X10s
Easier to drive: X10s

If you liked the sound signature of the X10, you probably won't like the ER4S.

The ER4P is said to have more bass than the ER4S.  I'd like to take a listen myself.

A better choice than both if price is no object is the Westone UM3X.  In my mind, a great balance throughout and great ergonomics.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:
In brief, a comparison of the x10 to the ER4s.  Sorry, I don't have the ER4Ps.

Micriphonics: X10 wins
Comfort: X10 slight advantage
Bass: X10 much more prominent and extended
Highs: ER4S is much more defined and prominate
Ambience: I give the nod to the X10s
Easier to drive: X10s

If you liked the sound signature of the X10, you probably won't like the ER4S.

The ER4P is said to have more bass than the ER4S.  I'd like to take a listen myself.

A better choice than both if price is no object is the Westone UM3X.  In my mind, a great balance throughout and great ergonomics.

Thanks for the feedback.  

I do like a little bit of bass especially when I'm listening to hip-hop music.  One thing about Etymotics that I liked when reading reviews is the accuracy of the sound which I think would help when listening to my preferred music of classic rock/rock.

I'll check on reviews of the Westone but they seem to be a little bulky.

How is the size of the earpiece in comparing the Klipsch to the Etymotics?

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 20
How comfortable are they?  Etymotic seems to have my preferred sound but how is the comfort in fit?  They Klipsch are so comfortable I sometimes forget that I am wearing them, I don't really want to give to much of the comfort.

Jul 28, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 20
If you're moving away from the x10, you're looking at a downgrade in terms of comfort. Triple flanges aren't for everyone. Although the foam tips are much more comfortable.
If comfort is your main concern, buy another x10.
You also mentioned you like bass, coming from the x10, you'll probably find the er4 to have no bass.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
If you're moving away from the x10, you're looking at a downgrade in terms of comfort. Triple flanges aren't for everyone. Although the foam tips are much more comfortable.
If comfort is your main concern, buy another x10.
You also mentioned you like bass, coming from the x10, you'll probably find the er4 to have no bass.

I dont mind trading in a little bit of comfort if that is all Im giving up, a small bit of comfort.  I listen to mostly classic and alternative rock so i dont think I need to much bass though i do listen to a little bit of hip hop as well.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 20
In that case, you gotta be ok with really deep insertion to get the best sound outta er4. Honestly speaking comfort wise, the difference is night and day for me. YMMV though. But the difference in SQ is worth the tradeoff.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
In that case, you gotta be ok with really deep insertion to get the best sound outta er4. Honestly speaking comfort wise, the difference is night and day for me. YMMV though. But the difference in SQ is worth the tradeoff.

As much as I love the X10s I am really curious to hear Etymotic's sound signature.  I'm a little worried of the tradeoff in comfort but it might just be worth it. 

What do you think if I use Klipsch's silicone tips on the Etymotics?  Would that help any?

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

As much as I love the X10s I am really curious to hear Etymotic's sound signature.  I'm a little worried of the tradeoff in comfort but it might just be worth it. 

What do you think if I use Klipsch's silicone tips on the Etymotics?  Would that help any?

I disagree that you need to use triple flanges on the Etys. I've always used modded Sony Hybrids and they were great. Probably the best fitting, most comfortable IEM I ever owned. The Etys are just a straight barrel, so it's really quite a comfortable design.

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

I disagree that you need to use triple flanges on the Etys. I've always used modded Sony Hybrids and they were great. Probably the best fitting, most comfortable IEM I ever owned. The Etys are just a straight barrel, so it's really quite a comfortable design.

I found that the medium sized silicone oval tips Klipsch uses were the most comfortable ear buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back