Klipsch S4i or Ultimate Ears 600vi?
Sep 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

spybenj

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
I own a pair of S4is, but they broke. I am either going to buy new ones, or get a different earphone. I use the microphone very often on the S4i.
My s4i's broke, with the cable detaching from the little metal thing that goes into my phone(sorry for the odd word choice, not sure what it's called).
I was looking around and found the ulimate ears 600vi. It apparently has better build quality than the s4i, but I'm wondering about the sound, and if that is true.
If I stick with the s4is, I'll probably go for the s5i as it has better build quality.
I'm also open to any other suggestions for good in-ear earbuds that have good sound quality, have a microphone and iphone controls and are under $150, preferably under $100 as well!
Thanks.

EDIT
I'm now thinking of getting the HF3s.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9
I would get the UEs if I were you.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 9
There is quite a big difference between the HF3 and the S4, so unless you have actually tried that sort of sound signature, I wouldn't recommend it. I actually haven't tried any of those phones, but I have had a bit of experience with Ultimate Ear products. The build quality of those lower end products can be deceiving, they can last quite a while. My Metro.Fi 220vi have been through a lot and they are fine. The only problem with them is that the paint may scrape off after while, a problem I don't experience on my Triple.Fi 10s. My friend has the S4s, and the cables quite thin and prone to breaking. I personally would go for the HF3 if I could get it for that price because they are very detailed, have good build quality and (IMO) look better, but, as I said previously, you might not like their sound signature.

Quote:
Could you elaborate on that :wink:
I'm also looking at the HF3s, and am currently drawn to them. I can get them for $75 as well.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi,
Thank you for the detailed response!
I have to admit that I could be considered an amateur when it comes to IEMs.
I like music, and I like having music sound very clear.
I will be using these on the subway to listen to various bands, ranging from Arcade Fire to Mumford and Sons to AFI. 
I also listen to podcasts, and sometimes audiobooks.
Would the HF3s bode well in those circumstances?
Thanks again,
B

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 9
As for the subway, these would isolate very well, so it ticks all the boxes there. I have not tried any of the etymotic products, but the closest thing I have is the Fisher Audio DBA-02 which also has an analytical sound signature with more bass and larger soundstage. I do not have a clue what those bands are, but for rock, I would think the hf3 requires a bit more bass (you can try to equilize or amp them). They aren't that great for Hip Hop and R&B for the same reason. I guess they are great for fast music, seeing it has speed. I have also heard it is good for classical music. Audiobooks and the like should be fine.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #7 of 9
I just got the UE 600vi. I havent opened them yet because I read the controls dont work with android phones. (I got them as a present so I couldnt research them until after) I heard the S4A's work with Android devices, and I know the Monster mobile Jamz worked. I hear good things about the 600vi's too bad they arent fully compatible with my phone :frowning2:

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I just got the UE 600vi. I havent opened them yet because I read the controls dont work with android phones. (I got them as a present so I couldnt research them until after) I heard the S4A's work with Android devices, and I know the Monster mobile Jamz worked. I hear good things about the 600vi's too bad they arent fully compatible with my phone :frowning2:

Use a converter TRRS converter?  MEE sells them for 10 bucks.  The main problem with the three button remote is that the volume will not work, the center should though.  On some Android phones, you'll need the TRRS adapter, on others, you won't. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back