Klipsch S4i lacking bass, looking for alternatives, please advise
Oct 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #31 of 43
Miles Davis Tributes? I heard they were actually inferior to the Coppers when it came to neutrality and highs. I heard amping did a really good job with the MTPCs, but someone in another thread said that it was not necessary when they listened to them. As for custom tips, yeah, my wallet loses a few pounds, but my ears would appreciate the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I got the Coppers for 210 from OneCall brand new if anyone wanted to know by the way.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #32 of 43

Quote:
Miles Davis Tributes? I heard they were actually inferior to the Coppers when it came to neutrality and highs. I heard amping did a really good job with the MTPCs, but someone in another thread said that it was not necessary when they listened to them. As for custom tips, yeah, my wallet loses a few pounds, but my ears would appreciate the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I got the Coppers for 210 from OneCall brand new if anyone wanted to know by the way.

Maybe you might wanna audition the MDs one day?

As for me i think the Coppers are just trying too hard to please and sounds a lil '
ostentatious' especially in the Trebles compared to MD.

Its true that MDs have a warm, forward-leaning sound signature,

But these have far more Natural Timbre and Treble, Bass that will trounce the Coppers but not overly done like the Golds, Just a lil watered down that it does not intrude into the MID-Regions like the Golds but quantity, quality and the impact of the Bass & Lows are in No way inferior to it.

Just my 5 cents of opinion here. =P

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #33 of 43
Well the Coppers don't necessarily have good treble nor neutrality (eww) to begin with. The treble rolls off earlier than other budget IEMs I've tried (Zeros/SB/HJE900) and tends to do a poor job staying linear.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #34 of 43
I second the what ink said, Even for MDs, they are far from the Professional Reference Level Use. But talk about enjoyability with nothing to fuss and they are among the tops ^o^

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #35 of 43
My 2¢:
With a limit of $400 you should really look into the used market
Your best choices (IMO) are the IE8 which you can tune the bass to your liking on, but are prone to fakes and are said to not isolate that well, and the Westone 3, which has awesome bass, great comfort, and great isolation

If buying used seems intimidating because of finances or hygiene just remember to check rep, get pics, and clean those tips
Welcome to head-fi, prepare to mourn the death of your wallet 
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #36 of 43
I have the IE8s and I think the Coppers sounded a bit more transparent. I noticed that! My Klipsch Image S4s sound better than the Coppers in some ways. That kinda made me REALLY scared. I sent the defective pair back, so I'm going to have to see what you guys are talking about when I can listen to a working pair. OneCall will refund if I don't like em so I still have the option of returning them after I get this pair. Can anyone second the MDs? I just couldn't get a deal with the Westone 3s. I tried an IE8 plus cash for Westone 3s, but it didn't fall through. I still have to get an amp for my HD800s, so after this, I won't be able to do much with IEMs until I can earn the cash back up.

EDIT: My budget was 210 btw. Also, I forgot to thank you guys for being so helpful!

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #37 of 43
Another quick update. Really just an excuse to distract myself from working on my thesis 
tongue.gif
 I was somewhat underwhelmed by the MTPGs straight out of the box, however I do believe in burn-in personally so I did my best to suspend judgment. I have been listening to them moderately since they came in and running them overnight with a mix of P/W/B noise at a little more than my usual listening level.

Listening to some classical and piano solo music tonight as I slave away on a proposal that is due in the am (7 hours from now, eek) and I must say the sound is growing on me. It sounds very balanced and clear, albeit somewhat warm (which I prefer). I have been alternating between the darker grey supertips and the larger black supertips trying to figure out what feels/seals/sounds best but both are sounding pretty good. Listened to some rap and dubstep early today and the low-end is definitely starting to show up on the phones. Maybe it was just in my head but out of the box the bass was not what I expected. Now I am definitely starting to sense the bass at the level I like.

Just wondering what ya'lls opinion is on the right headphone casing? As I said before, when I took them out of the box and went to swap out the right headphone tip, the housing pulled loose where the dark grey meets the gold 
confused_face.gif
 as far as I can tell there is no effect on the sound. Should I go ahead and get it taken care of now or just wait until it becomes a problem? If I should take care of it now, would you recommend taking care of it through Amazon since they arrived defective, or just go through my warranty with Monster (read in the booklet that it could take up to 30 days and I will have to pay shipping which is not ideal since the phones are brand new 
frown.gif
).
Thanks for any advice!

Caliskimmer I hope you get your situation with the coppers worked out!

Thanks for the welcome luvs2squizz! I think I am going to be happy with these MTPGs as I listen to them more and get them burned in although the ie8s are still tempting every time I read about how much those who own them love the sound sig... I am definitely going to have to lock my wallet up somewhere.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 43
Maybe you should! I am going down to warrant my defective md though i love he sound its like a very refined version of the mtpg and hope my md will faster come back to my ears. So for now i have to make do withy ortofon e-q7 lol

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #39 of 43

Quote:
Maybe you should! I am going down to warrant my defective md though i love he sound its like a very refined version of the mtpg and hope my md will faster come back to my ears. So for now i have to make do withy ortofon e-q7 lol

Yeah I mean, I am going to have to take care of it sooner or later. I just hate to send them back just as I am starting to enjoy them! I have heard great things about the MD, they are just on the very edge of my price range and not that gold is my look, but I'm not wild about the blue cord and whatnot (yes I am somewhat vain haha). Figure if I never hear the MDs I can enjoy my golds in blissful ignorance 
wink.gif

Do you think I should try getting a replacement from Amazon first sense they were broken when I opened them? Would that save me time and money on shipping? Or should I just go through monster?

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #40 of 43

Quote:

Yeah I mean, I am going to have to take care of it sooner or later. I just hate to send them back just as I am starting to enjoy them! I have heard great things about the MD, they are just on the very edge of my price range and not that gold is my look, but I'm not wild about the blue cord and whatnot (yes I am somewhat vain haha). Figure if I never hear the MDs I can enjoy my golds in blissful ignorance 
wink.gif

Do you think I should try getting a replacement from Amazon first sense they were broken when I opened them? Would that save me time and money on shipping? Or should I just go through monster?

Ah I am back! Now i say those In Singapore that its a super buy from The Turbine Pro to the MDs, They only inspect to see my MD were defect and not due to user nature, They straightaway gave me a new box! Was soo happy and they say so long its non-misuse and wear and tear on the physical cable, EVEN if its jack itself looses wiring and internal defect or problem. My Lifetime warranty can keep changing for a new pair so long its not Misuse and Abuse of product.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #41 of 43

Boxer757 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the input j57park. The ie8 is at the very top of my price range. I'm afraid to try and buy it on the cheap from somewhere as I do not want to get a fake (seems to be tons out there). I've seen refurbs on eBay for ~$230 that apparently are under warranty. Also, there is a 30-day cash back return policy. Think it's a bad move to go with a refurbed model?
Here is the listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SENNHEISER-IE8-IE-8-NOISE-ISOLATING-HEADPHONES-W-WRNTY-/380279371708?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item588a6ab7bc#ht_2354wt_1141

If I should skip the refurb and buy them brand new, is it worth it to jump all the way up to the ie8s given that they are nearly twice the price of the other headphones listed?

It's strange, the more I listen to these S4s, I feel like the bass might finally be coming in strong like I want it, but it either just doesn't quite get there, or I go to a song I know has a strong bass track and it's just not coming forward like I would prefer. Talk about uncertainty/frustration
confused_face.gif

Many thanks to your description! It's comprehensive.

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #42 of 43
I bought the Klipsch Image S4i II about a week ago and I am kind of feeling regretful for buying them because

1)I can see no significant difference in the sound quality of these and the apple stock earbuds (not EarPods)
2)Lacking bass
3)Harsh treble

Today, I came across the JVC HA (20 dollars) and heard that they outperform these headphones and other high-end headphones such as the Beats by Dr Dre.

I am currently burning them in..about 15 hours of burn in so far..so hopefully they will sound better once it hits about 70 hours

Anyone have suggestions or tips for me??

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #43 of 43
Unfortunately, the S4 is a very overrated (and overpriced) IE (in my humble opinion). I have owned a few pairs of them (not the version with a mic and remote, but......), and never did become very happy with them, no matter how much burn-in I gave them. What bugged me the most about these is the very sharp, harsh, sibilant treble. I am very sensitive to this. To me, its like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't think any amount of burn-in will get rid of that sibilance.

But you on the other hand, might not be sensitive to it like I am, though. Just wait and see. But if you want my opinion, I really did like the Monster Turbines (which tend to be in the same price range). Great bass, and no sibilance. And very balanced across the entire spectrum, too for that matter.

Your choice though. Just trying to help you make an informed decision, that's all.

BTW, the Monster Turbine typically tends to be quite overpriced, too. You're best bet might be to find someone on eBay who received them as a gift (brand new, sealed in box), who for whatever reason did not like them, and deciced to sell them for whatever he or she could get for them. Believe it or not, this scenerio takes place quite frequently on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back