Klipsch S4 muddy?
Jun 27, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

allenxchu

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.  I did a few searches but nothing came up specific to the tonal characteristics of the Klipsch S4.  I just picked these up yesterday and the only headphones I have to compare them to are my Sennheiser 595's and Shure e2c's.  The Klipsch sounded very warm and crisp compared to my more neutral 595's.  After about 3 hours of listening the S4's are now just completely muddy.  I'm using an ipod classic 7g with a dock out to a headroom airhead (4-aaa newest).  My question is being a newbie to the audiophile scene, are the Klipsch S4's going to sound drastically different after the burn in process, and is the muddiness normal?  I have about 40 hours on my 595's and they went through a muddy phase too but are now just airy and crisp and a pleasure to listen to.  Also, i've been using my S4's with the airhead (which has about 40 hours on it so far) and it definitely sounds noticeably more crisp through the amp, but my e2c's are just so much more defined.  Sorry for the silly question and thanks for any help!

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 8
My S4s sounded much better after about 150 hours of use. Not sure if it's break-in/burn-in or me getting used to them though. They've got a warm/dark sound signature, so the muddiness will probably not vanish completely.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 8
Even after 200 hours the S4 will retain some sort of wooly bass that you may construe to be the muddiness. They have really great dynamics for the price though, but I didn't like how it tends to get too strident with some recordings.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 8
I bought S4 last night on a whim. Haven't burnt them in much yet, but coming from Ety ER6i, I thought S4 was extremely muddy initially. One some of the softer tracks, I sorely miss the clarity. On some of the other tracks, though, I was amazed by the quantity bass and what I was missing in ER6i - the clarity of the bass, though, was again that is suspect so far. There are details even in the bass that I would hear in 6i that are missing in S4. Plan to try them for a week before deciding one way or the other.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 8
I've had the S4 for about a week too (thank god for Best Buys return policy), and pretty much love everything about them except for their sound signature.  They're very comfortable, I love their light weighted-ness, I love that they stay in place when I jog - but that bass is just not what I'm looking for.  If they were about $40 and I wanted fun headphones, then I would get them for gym/working out, but for their price - I'd rather spend my money on the RE0s.  Those should be here later this week, while the S4's will be back at best buy. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Yep, I'd agree with all the comments above about warmth and lack of clarity with the Klipsch S4.  For a LOT less money the SoundMAGIC PL30 sounds just as good, has better cabling and has a more secure over ear fit system.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd agree with the PL30 being a better choice - I tried them at a recent local meet, and I was impressed by its airy signature, enjoyable (not muddy) bass, and the featherweight fit. An excellent value for the $25-ish it's selling for here in our shores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back