klipsch promedia 2.1 problem
Mar 24, 2012 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gyeg69

New Head-Fier
Hey guys so I decided to test out my Grado SR80's through these speakers because the headphone jack is amped, and when i plug them in I noticed that even with the headphones plugged in there was some sound coming from the speakers. I thought it might be the headphone cable being to thick and tried a slender one, but still same problem. I just wanna see if anyone else has encountered this.

thanks

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 6
I had some promedia 5.1 with an amped hp jack. My issue was that you had to wiggle the jack a bit and get it to lye at an angle to have sound from both cups. 

It's just not a good hp jack. You need to use something else...

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 6
yeah I'm having that same issue except I just have to wiggle it to get the speakers to not play anything. Also, I noticed that when the volume is all the way up on my computer and extremely low on the speaker knob the left channel cuts out, but comes back when you raise the volume. idk if this is normal or not. I am thinking about sending these things in.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Also, I noticed that when the volume is all the way up on my computer and extremely low on the speaker knob the left channel cuts out, but comes back when you raise the volume. idk if this is normal or not.

BTW, this part is normal. Others can probably give you more specific info on this but from what I've read its quite common for audio equipment to have volume knobs that, at the very lowest levels, kick in the right channel before the left. As long as you turn it up a little bit they even out. For example, checkout this FAQ question from Grant Fidelity's website regarding their TubeDAC-11:

3. Why my DAC-11 doesn't appear to sound balanced with left and right channel when I turn the volume to very low? 

A: The DAC-11 uses a high end mechnical potentiometer volume control to give you the best sound quality at normal listening level (left and right level volume difference no more than 0.5dB). However, mechnical potentiometer volume adjustment is not linear at very low and very high level. This is normal and it's not a defect of the volume control. Digital volume control will be 100% linear all the way but the sound quality is no where near the high end mechnical one. There are several ways to adjust your playback system to make the DAC-11 NOT to operate at the non-linear gain section, then the left and right channel will be balanced properly at your listening level. 

a) When using low impedance headphones and if you find the imbalance bothers you at low volume, you can consider to use an impedance adapter. 

b)when using computer as digital source, you can adjust your computer volume to less than full, then turn the DAC-11 volume up to skip the non-linear gain section. 

c) when using DAC-11 with an amplifer with its own volume control, you can turn up the volume of DAC-11 and turn down the amplifier volume to get to your preferred listening volume.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Well I got back from school and I talked to the Klipsch tech support and they sent me a new preamp which fixed the left channel cutting out. Unfortunately, the headphone jack problem is still happening, so I will open up my old preamp and see whats going on in there. Also, the tech guy said that he's never heard of this headphone jack problem happening before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back