Klipsch Image X5
Dec 18, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #16 of 56
Yes I agree, most would not a have fit issue w/images (X5 or 10)!

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I agree, most would not a have fit issue w/images (X5 or 10)!

Exactly, these are probably the best to get for comfort, especially X10, I never had the tail problem with x10 though...maybe when you sticked them too much inside...
To get the best bass sound and comfort in X10 is to stick the bud inside and pull out a lil bit gently...

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 56
I have no complaints with sound and comfort from my Custom 3's.
But Klipsch should rethink all their cables. Make them Westone Cables.
Klipsch can be some heavy competition in the IEM market.

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #19 of 56
Received my X5s Thurs. and I was very disappointed in the sound, at first! After 100hrs of burn-in, I'm truly enjoying their sound signature.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #20 of 56
I used to own the custom 3's but I prefer the sound signature of the X5's. They have more detail from mids to highs and better soundstage. The only thing that the custom 3's do better than the X5's is the bass. The X5's can still put out some decent bass. If you can get them on sale, they are an excellent value for your hard earned money.

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #21 of 56
I've been using Comply tips for a couple of months now with my X5. The Comply tips reduce the microphonics considerably. Wind blowing over the cable doesn't make any more noise than other IEMs. There also is little microphonics with the cable rubbing against my beard. There still is bad microphonics when the cable rubs against a jacket zipper. This is completely eliminated by putting the cables over my ear. I get a better seal this way too. It is a little awkward, but it's doable.

So I guess my problems with microphonics had more to do with the stock tips rather than the cable.

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my X5s Thurs. and I was very disappointed in the sound, at first! After 100hrs of burn-in, I'm truly enjoying their sound signature.

I was also disappointed at first.
And, while I'm not a great believer in burn-in, the difference of just a few days use was quite remarkable.
I've since bought a second pair of X5s.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #23 of 56
X5= Sleeping giants, IMO!

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #24 of 56
Would anyone be able to quickly compare these to Westone UM1's? I'm having a hard time choosing between a second hand X5 or a new Westone UM1 which work out to be able the same price.
The one thing that's stopping me from getting a UM1 is that people say that it can be a little light on bass. I listen to Rock, Gothic Rock, some Metal, Drum 'n' Bass and some others. Which would be the best for these types of music?
Also, the little things stopping from getting the X5 are the cable tangling and microphonics, and I wasn't sure if it would be good for sports, (because of the cable and the design (would they come out easier because they are not over the ear?)).

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by James Crysis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would anyone be able to quickly compare these to Westone UM1's? I'm having a hard time choosing between a second hand X5 or a new Westone UM1 which work out to be able the same price.
The one thing that's stopping me from getting a UM1 is that people say that it can be a little light on bass. I listen to Rock, Gothic Rock, some Metal, Drum 'n' Bass and some others. Which would be the best for these types of music?
Also, the little things stopping from getting the X5 are the cable tangling and microphonics, and I wasn't sure if it would be good for sports, (because of the cable and the design (would they come out easier because they are not over the ear?)).

What sports are you going to use them with? I can't really imagine participating in any sports while wearing an IEM.

The UM1 wins on comfort, the X5 wins for the sound, both by long shots. The UM1 sounds muddy compared to the X5. The X5 has better treble extension, slightly better bass extension and much better detail thoughout. With comply tips, microphonics are greatly reduced and you can wear them with the cables over your ears, it's just a little awkward unil you get the hang of it.

For me, if I had to only own one, it would probably be the UM1 because of the comfort. There are times I just can't stick an IEM down as far down my ear canal. I've never had a problem with the UM1, I've used them for 8 hours straight. The X5 is a little uncomfortable on my ear lobe because of the diameter of the barrel. With the stock tips, they are uncomfortable to my ear canals after 3-4 hours. I haven't used the comply tips on a long plane trip yet so I'm not sure how they will stand up comfortwise. I'm also not sure how the X5 will hold up for me once pollen season starts.

One other thing, the X5 doesn't do to well under a hat and the UM1 does.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sports are you going to use them with? I can't really imagine participating in any sports while wearing an IEM.

The UM1 wins on comfort, the X5 wins for the sound, both by long shots. The UM1 sounds muddy compared to the X5. The X5 has better treble extension, slightly better bass extension and much better detail thoughout. With comply tips, microphonics are greatly reduced and you can wear them with the cables over your ears, it's just a little awkward unil you get the hang of it.

For me, if I had to only own one, it would probably be the UM1 because of the comfort. There are times I just can't stick an IEM down as far down my ear canal. I've never had a problem with the UM1, I've used them for 8 hours straight. The X5 is a little uncomfortable on my ear lobe because of the diameter of the barrel. With the stock tips, they are uncomfortable to my ear canals after 3-4 hours. I haven't used the comply tips on a long plane trip yet so I'm not sure how they will stand up comfortwise. I'm also not sure how the X5 will hold up for me once pollen season starts.

One other thing, the X5 doesn't do to well under a hat and the UM1 does.

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry I should have specified what I meant by 'sport'. What I meant was just fitness like running and mountain bike riding. I thought the microphonics might get really annoying with that kind of stuff? And if the X5's don't do well under a hat would it be the same for a helmet?
I just have a few more question
tongue.gif
. I know you said the X5 beats the UM1 in sound quality easily, but all I have owned so far is a CX300 and I changed to EQ to the minimum amount of bass, because I didn't like the artificial kind of bass the CX300's have. So would the UM1 be good for the kind of music I listen to compared to the CX300's? And would the UM1's respond well to EQ adjustments if I wanted more bass?

Thanks
smile.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #27 of 56
Under a helmet, the X5 would be fine. It's not good under a hat that covers your ears to keep them warm. With the stock tips the microphonics of the X5 are very similar to the CX300. Those are the only 2 in ears that I've used that had microphonics with a slight breeze blowing over the cable. The microphonics on both are lessened by putting the cable over your ears, but neither are designed to do that so it's a little awkward, more so with the X5.

I listen to all types of music with both. The X5 sounds better with everything because it just sounds better.

One thing to consider, if you get wacked on the side of your head, it's going to hurt a lot more with the X5 because it will get jammed down your ear canal. The body of UM1 won't allow that to happen with it.

Do you really want isolation when running or mountain biking? If you run in the street, I wouldn't want isolation. Likewise if you're riding with other people. Also, at least for me, fidelity isn't as important when I'm doing something active or in a noisy environment. I use my IEMs for the gym, commuting on the subway, and plane travel, all noisy environments where fidelity doesn't matter.

Unless you need isolation, I'd suggest something like the KSC75.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #28 of 56
Yeah I do want isolation, I'm not just buying for what I do now, but for what I plan to do next year when I move away for college. It's in a small town where I'll be able to run through tracks and not have to worry about cars or other people. Same with the bike trails I think. I have huge plans for fitness next year so that's why I wanted something with good sound quality of course, but also less microphonics and comfort.
Tough choice?

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #29 of 56
I personally wouldn't use the X5's for sporting activities because of the way they stick out of the ear. The UM1's are supposed to be better for use with sports. I have the Westone 3's and are the most comfortable iem I have ever worn. I never heard the UM1's but I can vouch for superb sound quality that the X5's produce.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally wouldn't use the X5's for sporting activities because of the way they stick out of the ear. The UM1's are supposed to be better for use with sports. I have the Westone 3's and are the most comfortable iem I have ever worn. I never heard the UM1's but I can vouch for superb sound quality that the X5's produce.

I think I'm going to go with the X5 because people say it has more bass and better sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the help, and sorry for hijacking the thread.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back