Klipsch Image X5
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Gothamm

100+ Head-Fier
I could not find any in-depth info on these. A little reference here, a thread with 2 replies there, but nothing astounding. Impressions by owners would be awesomely appreciated. especially comparisons to the x10
normal_smile .gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 56
I now own the X5 and the Custom 3. The X5 seem to have a little more detail on the top end than the Custom 3. The Custom 3 is a little smoother overall and maybe sound a little warmer. I don't own the X10 but I did listen to them at CanJam 2008. They seemed to sound a little thinner than the X5 and didn't go as low. That was only after about 5 minutes of listening so take it as you will.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 56
Klipsch has said, and most users seem to agree, that the X10 has a bit more bass while the X5 has better clarity in the mids and top end.

I've been using the X5s for months and find them well-balanced and not at all lacking in lows. They work well with my iPod Classic, without the need for amplification.

I am a big Cowboy Junkies fan, and the X5s let you hear the sheer beauty of Margo Timmons' voice as well as the detail in the band's playing.

They are also incredibly comfortable and easy to use. So much so that I ordered a second pair during the sale. As far as I'm concerned, they set the standard for comfort.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 56
I currently own the Klipsch X5, and can confidently say they are the best IEM of which I have owned. And this is coming from a person who has owned most of the top brands / models from:

-Shure -se530, se420, se310, E4C
-Etymotic - ER-4P
-Ultimate Ears - Triple-fi, Super-fi 5
-Sleek - SA6 (these are also very good)
-Denon - various
-Sony - various

The X5s offer a amazing detail, yet balanced sound. Good Bass. The best comfort of any IEM and very good sound isolation(double flange). I specifically use them for my cross country airplane travel. I have been very pleased... Thank you Klipsch!

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch has said, and most users seem to agree, that the X10 has a bit more bass while the X5 has better clarity in the mids and top end.

I've been using the X5s for months and find them well-balanced and not at all lacking in lows. They work well with my iPod Classic, without the need for amplification.

I am a big Cowboy Junkies fan, and the X5s let you hear the sheer beauty of Margo Timmons' voice as well as the detail in the band's playing.

They are also incredibly comfortable and easy to use. So much so that I ordered a second pair during the sale. As far as I'm concerned, they set the standard for comfort.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

it most definitely did. I also have a pair now, and I couldn't agree more. with people saying they are better than the se530's, I am very satisfied with them.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it most definitely did. I also have a pair now, and I couldn't agree more. with people saying they are better than the se530's, I am very satisfied with them.

It is nice to be validated by the expert consumers who are early adopters of new technology. Thanks for your support.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 56
How is the noise cable on the x-5 and x-10?

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 56
I was actually choosing between the X10 and X5, bought both and ended up with the x10 because if you compare the two side by side, difference can be heard easily~x10 really feels like a sub-buffer somewhere inside that lil thing...x5 is bigger, and sounds lil weak to me...especially the bass part...highs and clarity didn't really out beat X10, I mean...really insignificant... x10's sound signiture is very similar to SE530 which is my upgrade for X10...but x5 needs improvements to get up to that league...you always pay for what you get...especially from the same company...buy what you need...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X5 and x10 use the same tangle prone cable, super annoying...you couldn't get the wire straight and it feels real cheap...microphonic can be loud depend on what you doing...you can buy an angel strap to avoid it...but still annoying... the wire is just my worst experience with klipsch...but it might not bother you...

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Thump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is nice to be validated by the expert consumers who are early adopters of new technology. Thanks for your support.

Whilst the ego massaging has put you in a posting mode, perhaps you can answer a question for me please?
bigsmile_face.gif

I have owned both the X5 and the X10. I did not care for the sound of the X5 though I found it extremely comfortable, even when burrowed deeply into my ear canal using the biflange tips (I tended to insert it and the X10 such that the first part of the flange "hooked" just past the bend in the canal, therefore locking the headphone in place so to speak). Conversely, I loved the sound of the X10, however it was uncomfortable only because the end of the black tail put quite a good deal of pressure on my outer ear (the bend radius of the black tail of the X10 being more acute than that of the X5).

Anyway, my X10 was suffering the durability issues reported by many users and I can't help thinking the pressure of the tail on my ear did not help matters.

Now it seems to me that the best sonic signature from the Klipsch models is with tips that can burrow deeply enough to obtain a great seal - and for me that mean't the medium (large?) biflange tips.

Now I have been considering trying out the Klipsch Custom 3, but I just wonder whether it is possible to get the same acoustic seal on that model as it is with the X10? Obviously the X10 being as thin as it is, it can go right in ore or less unimpeded, leaving only the tail exposed, whereas the Custom 3 is obviously limited in that respect by the housing itself.

I do see that the Custom 3 is packaeged with the same biflange tip, just a different colour. But can this tip insert as deeply as with the X10 as described above? I'm not sure I would even want to bother trying the Custom 3 if I could not insert a biflange tip as deeply as with the X10, since I was not really impressed with the sound of these earphones using the other tips that did not insert as deeply.

Thank you

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best comfort of any IEM and very good sound isolation(double flange).

I have to disagree with this. They're nowhere near as comfortable as my UM1.

I bought mine last month when they were on sale. I've tried all the tips. The smallest tips I can use to get a good seal are the small bigflange in my left ear and the medium single tips in my right ear. Any smaller in either ear and I don't get a good seal, any bigger and they start to bother me after a half hour.

Last week I went to Hawaii from DC via LA, so 4, 5+ hour flights and after a couple of hours they were bothering my ears. For 3 of the flights, I toughed it out for the whole flight, but on one, it got to be too much and I had to switch to my UM1. They make the UM1 sound crappy, but the UM1 sounds better than no music at all, which was the alternative.

Right now, for my daily, 45 minute, subway commute they're fine. I'll probably not be able to use them once pollen kicks in in the spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is my biggest complaint about the X5. I have a beard and with the wires pointed down, I get a lot of microphonics with the cable rubbing against my beard. Unfortunately, this isn't a problem that can be fixed with a shirt clip, which is the standard answer I've seen to solve microphonics. Putting the X5 in upside down and running the cable over my ears eliminates this problem. They fit in my ear a little better this way. Wearing them with the cable down causes the same issues ADD mentions with my ears.

However, since they're not designed to work this way, the wires stick way out. This makes it impossible to wear a hat with them, which will be a problem when it gets much colder.

This evening, when walking to the subway from work, it was windy and the wind caused a lot of cable microphonics. It was noisy enough to seriously detract from the music. Enough so that the UM1 probably would have sounded better. The only other in ear I've tried that had this problem was the CX300, which, if I remember correctly, has a similar cable.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 56
Hello scompton,
I don't believe that you commented on the sound signatures. Although I do agree on the cable and wind noise issue!

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello scompton,
I don't believe that you commented on the sound signatures. Although I do agree on the cable and wind noise issue!

I guess I only hinted at it saying that it made my UM1 sound crappy
biggrin.gif

It really has great sound for me, although I'm not a bass head. It has plenty of bass as long as I get a good seal, very nice mids and highs and not at all harsh. Most important, it sounds great at low SPL levels. Isolation is better than my UM1, not hard to do, but not as good as my im716 with Shure black olives. Foam tips would be nice for times I need a lot of isolation. I wish the post was smaller so I could easily get the Shure tips on them.

I only have 3 gripes
  • The wind noise.
  • The comfort when using them for a long period. During pollen season, I may have comfort issues using them at all. This is a problem I've had with all of the IEMs I've tried that go straight in your ear
  • The design that makes it awkward to but the cables over your ear. Putting the cable over your ear eliminates most cable microphonics. I don't understand why IEM manufacturers design their product in a way that makes this awkward. I realize not everyone likes to do it, so the ideal would be a design that allows the IEM to be used either way.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 56
I'm happy with my custom-3's will be keeping them. I dont get why there is so much controversy on Klipsch earphones, the only problem I have is microphonics, which is a normal problem. Once klipsch realizes how they should start producing their cables, Klipsch will rock in the IEM business.

I just wonder how bad the image microphonics are... because custom-3, which is over the ear, is noticeable.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I only hinted at it saying that it made my UM1 sound crappy
biggrin.gif

It really has great sound for me, although I'm not a bass head. It has plenty of bass as long as I get a good seal, very nice mids and highs and not at all harsh. Most important, it sounds great at low SPL levels. Isolation is better than my UM1, not hard to do, but not as good as my im716 with Shure black olives. Foam tips would be nice for times I need a lot of isolation. I wish the post was smaller so I could easily get the Shure tips on them.

I only have 3 gripes
  • The wind noise.
  • The comfort when using them for a long period. During pollen season, I may have comfort issues using them at all. This is a problem I've had with all of the IEMs I've tried that go straight in your ear
  • The design that makes it awkward to but the cables over your ear. Putting the cable over your ear eliminates most cable microphonics. I don't understand why IEM manufacturers design their product in a way that makes this awkward. I realize not everyone likes to do it, so the ideal would be a design that allows the IEM to be used either way.

I've owned the X10 and I've had similiar problems with them ie: cable and wind noise and maybe a little too much bass (IMO), but the X10 matched well w/corda move. Now I'm considering the X5 and I just valued your opinion. From what you've said, that confirms to me that the X5 might be a good option.

Thanks,
Freeone-j

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 56
I have absolutely no gripes with the sound. They sound great. I think my ears are more sensitive than some people's are because I have allergies. So most people won't have comfort problems like I do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back