Klipsch Image X10i dying - please suggest repair options
Apr 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

shashu

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Klipsch Image X10i which I purchased from eBay in March last year.  Unfortunately these excellent little headphones developed the dreaded problem where the cable comes away from the jack connector some months ago.  I pursued Klipsch to repair the headphones but was shirked off due to not buying them from an authorised reseller, so I have since used them by bridging the gap with some electric tape and hoping for the best.  To my horror I have now discovered that the small plastic casing that covers the '+' button on the inline remote/mic has fallen off and I have no idea where it is.

Without even beginning to ramble on about how disappointed I am with the build quality of these otherwise excellent headphones, I was hoping that someone can suggest either a forum member or repair shop where I can get my headphones repaired, preferably in the UK.  Whilst it's probable that the cable near the jack could be made good I'm obviously less hopeful about sourcing the replacement bit of plastic casing for the inline remote.  Amazingly the headphones and the inline remote does still function properly.  I haven't bothered to try my luck with Klipsch again due to getting absolutely nowhere in the past, so here I am.

Hope to hear from you

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 22
Thats an easy fix dude, get a new jack from neutrik and solder it yourself. If you really aren't comfortable doing it yourself, go to any electronics repair shop and they'll do it for you. Just call ahead and ask first. It may be the easiest task the repairman has to do all day, so I'm sure he'll be happy.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 22
I repaired a pair of s4 buds with same problem what i used was some liquid electrical tape which i purchased at an auto parts store it remaims flexable and to this day they are still working!! Imho this is the most cost cost savings fix at about $3 a can
Just aplly with a small fine artist type.brush which i got at the dollar store lol

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 22
Fisher (inearz)will do them but you would still have the original cable problem I'm afraid.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/464570/inearz-fisher-hearing-custom-remold-owners-thread/1440#post_8284800

There you go that's mine in clear red.

Cheers.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 22
I wouldn't reshell a "medium-fi" iem simply because it's not worth it because it's cheaper buying another set. Even the cheapest reshell will cost at least $130 (Kozee). Btw Kozee has been having customer service issues lately.. check the official thread for updates.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 22
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend a reshell for something as simple as this. Reshelling an X10 into a custom mold won't necessarily breathe new life into it.

A re-termination is much simpler. There are lots of quality plugs around; I personally think Neutrik plugs are ugly, but they are well-built. Viablue or Oyaide plugs are expensive, but much more aesthetically pleasing and arguably even better quality than Neutrik plugs.

If you lack the know-how or don't have the time to solder a plug in yourself, you can find a service (like this: http://btg-audio.webs.com/, but there are many others, including head-fi members) that can do it.

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
I wouldn't reshell a "medium-fi" iem simply because it's not worth it because it's cheaper buying another set. Even the cheapest reshell will cost at least $130 (Kozee). Btw Kozee has been having customer service issues lately.. check the official thread for updates.

The Klipsch X10s are considered top-tier however. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend a reshell for something as simple as this. Reshelling an X10 into a custom mold won't necessarily breathe new life into it.

A re-termination is much simpler. There are lots of quality plugs around; I personally think Neutrik plugs are ugly, but they are well-built. Viablue or Oyaide plugs are expensive, but much more aesthetically pleasing and arguably even better quality than Neutrik plugs.

If you lack the know-how or don't have the time to solder a plug in yourself, you can find a service (like this: http://btg-audio.webs.com/, but there are many others, including head-fi members) that can do it.

Not necessarily, for something with horrible build quality like the X10, re-shelling is a good option if someone loves the sound from it but want a better shell. Also, there are people reporting having increased soundstage, and an overall cleaner sound when re-shelled, so I wouldn't necessarily say it's pointless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back