Klipsch IMAGE vs Sleek SA6
Jun 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
G'day all. I've been looking at getting one of the above headphones and was wanting to hear people's opinions on them. As for the sound I generally like, (instead of explaining i'll use example of other headphones), the HD600 is beatifull to my ears and cannot be beat, where as the k701 is to airy and its soundstage is way to large for my tastes (though I know that in ears can't really have a soundstage). The bass in HD600's is just right (if you can't tell I really like my HD600's), where as such models as the HD212pro, HD515, AKG240 studios are to bassy and kills the music a wee bit for me.

So I guees what i'm wondering is which one has the best balance between the lows, mids and highs, and would be best suited to classical and jazz (I do listen to rock and metal sometimes as well but not very often).
smily_headphones1.gif
I would plan on initially just be driving them by a portable media player (ipod), but would eventually if necesaary be willing to buy a portable amp.

Anyway, any help (or your opinions) would be grand.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 7
I should also note that the price difference does not concerne me at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 7
I guess you already know the Image is almost $100 more than SA6? For the 10 minutes of serious audition I have on a well burn-in pair of Image against my SA6, I am not totally impressed by it. Image does has a punchier bass, but I don't feel like it is that much better from SA6. To think than Image is even more expensive than Triple.fi 10 pro (which is an IEM I rank higher than SA6 and Image), I personally feel that Image is very much overprice. It should be priced less than or around $300, IMO.

Regardless of the pricing issue, the SQ of both IEM are very much different from each other. Image has a quite balance overall tone that are slightly on the warm side (plus more bass as mentioned above), while SA6 to me is definitely more musical, lush, warm, and focuses more of its energy in the mid range which makes some of the best vocal presentation among all the IEM I ever heard. Consider the price/performance b/w the two, I'll choice SA6 over Image.

You might also be interested with Frederik's review over at techPowerUp

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 7
I have and love both. The Sleeks for just about any music, but the Image really does justice to big symphonies. Immense soundstage and every instrument sounds "just right" But for jazz, vocals, small concert or piano/violin quartets, the sleeks usually get the play.

Plus, the infinite "tuning" varieties with the Sleek's tuneably treble/bass make an interesting IEM.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 7
+1 to Tnmikes... The Images have more bass impact, especially really down low..they are also more comfortable than my Sleeks with the stock tips. I now use the Klipsch tips on my Sleeks and Etys.

FWIW, I listen to my FreQs more than either of the above.

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Cheers for the info so far, i'll muse on it for a while and make a final decision.

Jun 17, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 to Tnmikes... The Images have more bass impact, especially really down low..they are also more comfortable than my Sleeks with the stock tips. I now use the Klipsch tips on my Sleeks and Etys.

FWIW, I listen to my FreQs more than either of the above.

hey Ron thanks for the tip (no pun intended) Didn't know those Klipsch tipswould fit my Etys and Sleeks. Have to try them instead of the Olives I've been using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back