Klipsch Image S4 owners
May 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bluntman

100+ Head-Fier
Have you tried hooking the S4 to an amp and experience how amazing they sound? How come they're so cheap? I mean honestly, they sound very similar to a $250 pair of audiophiles...I have the DT990 600 ohm and they sound very similar to them, all jokes aside. What's the deal here? I've been using these babies since november of 2009 and just recently experienced their premium sound with an amp.

biggrin.gif

May 13, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 9
yea when i got my ibasso d10, they definitely picked up another level. i was surprised they benefited that much too. what amp are you using? not to be a party-pooper, but after trying better headphones, i have started to notice their flaws. the bass is a little heavy imo, the cable/wiring is weak, and the overall clarity is average. still though, they are a good value for the price, great comfort (my favorite thing about them now), and one of the best widely-available-in-retail-stores in-ears.

May 13, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 9
wow is this true? Maybe after all I do need an amp, could you guys comment a bit more on what areas have improved? and what are the better headphones you are referring to, seekadds.

May 13, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 9
It's just the overall sound...it's a lot smoother and clearer...I'm not saying this because I own the damn headphones, but I noticed improvements in detail, bass, low, mids and highs. You HAVE TO give it a try if you have them....you'll be surprised I guarantee it.

May 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
wow is this true? Maybe after all I do need an amp, could you guys comment a bit more on what areas have improved? and what are the better headphones you are referring to, seekadds.

well i recently got ortofon e-q7's, and it may not be a fair comparison, but the e-q7 has more soundstage and clarity, among other things. i also briefly tried shure se530. i would still say that e-q7 from headphone out is better than amped image s4, but they definitely both improve with an amp.

for me, i noticed the sound to be more dynamic as well. i.e. more noticeable volume shifts within a piece.

i recommend that you go demo how they sound with an amp to help you decide if the upgrade is worth it. it also depends on your player i think. i mean if you have a hifiman...i'm using a sony x, and i think the line-out helps for a cleaner sound, as opposed to double-amping headphone out to amp.

May 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 9
I think an amp might be my next purchase. I love my S4's.  They sound fantastic to me even unamped.  I preferred their sound over the IE7's, which led me to the 8's. (just got them last night so it's too soon to comment on them)  The S4's sound signature works for me.  They are fun and they make listening enjoyable.  I don't find myself analyzing the sound, I can get lost in the music (the whole point).  They isolate so well it's like an escape.  I can only imagine them sounding better through an amp.  I've never experienced the "muddy" sound some have heard, but I'd like to hear them cleaned up across the whole spectrum.  Thanks for the tip on amping..  I'm off to search the For Sale section :)

May 13, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
I think an amp might be my next purchase. I love my S4's.  They sound fantastic to me even unamped.  I preferred their sound over the IE7's, which led me to the 8's. (just got them last night so it's too soon to comment on them)  The S4's sound signature works for me.  They are fun and they make listening enjoyable.  I don't find myself analyzing the sound, I can get lost in the music (the whole point).  They isolate so well it's like an escape.  I can only imagine them sounding better through an amp.  I've never experienced the "muddy" sound some have heard, but I'd like to hear them cleaned up across the whole spectrum.  Thanks for the tip on amping..  I'm off to search the For Sale section :)

Exactly. You said it all.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 9
I had my Klipsch s4 with an Ibasso T3. It definitely sounds much more powerful with tighter and fuller bass but it's just too much for me. It sounds awesome in the first moments but just one heavy bass song fatigued my ears, and head.

Classical and world music sounds pretty much the same to me except the slight addition of clarity. Then again, reviews said image s4 ain't suited for classicals
frown.gif

It's the bass that really got oomphed.... over-oomphed though, imo. 

I'm thinking it's the amp's fault. People's being saying that the Ibasso t3 boosts treble and recedes bass. That's not the case for me.
Sure, I got less low-end bass (which I didn't want to lose) but I also got much more pronounced low-mid bass thump and that really hurts my head and ruin the audio clarity (which might also explain why the low-end bass isn't there).

Maybe I'll start mucking around with EQ. But I don't really know how to tweak it right coz I ain't no audiophile, yet
tongue_smile.gif

Or maybe I should've got the D10 instead haha. 

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 9
I know this is an old thread, but whats a good but cheap amp to use with these that I can use with my laptop.  I use these straight from the laptop and like the sound but if there is a cheap amp out there that can make the bass even better and also bring out more clarity in like the mids, that would be awesome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back