Klipsch Image S3 - Where to next?
Mar 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

toadpenguin

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first post on here :)

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm fairly new to buying proper pairs of headphones (I stuck with the crummy old iPod ones for a good few years) and I currently have a pair of Klipsch Image S3s. I really like them but I have a feeling I can get more out of my listening experience.

My question is, what do I buy next? I have a budget of around €100/$140. I'm considering another pair of in-ears, possibly the S4s. I want to know whether I should get them or go with a pair of over-ears. I don't do that much traveling around with them so portability and size aren't very big issues. I've heard of people getting headphone amps too but would it be worth the price with my current setup?

Thanks in advance

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 16
Depends what kind of sound you're after. I have my sights set for some Brainwavz B2's(essentially dba-02's with some minor tweaks). Raz no longer has the special pre-order coupon, but based on the reviews, I'd think they're still a great deal for $140($170 will be their going price after promo). Still, you may object the sound; so I really suggest you check out |joker|'s never-ending IEM comparison and find something that might match your taste in music.

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the advice, any idea where I could find a pair in Ireland? I've tried eBay and Amazon but they don't seem to have them. I'll check out Joker's thread too and see what tickles my fancy.

As for the type of music I listen to, mostly rock along the lines of Arcade Fire, The Strokes and some Paramore. I like Hip-Hop but I'm by no means a bass fanatic. I also enjoy acoustic bands like Boyce Avenue.

Hope this helped! :)

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 16
Maybe you should try some full size headphones, like the m50s

they beat my s4s by alot :D

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 16
To my knowledge, mp4nation is the only place that sells them. They seem to ship worldwide; maybe shipping will be free like the US? The beauty of these headphones is, if you dont like them, you'll most likely break even selling them on this forum; although personally, I expect them to stay with me for a very long time :)

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
This are same as DBA-02, same drivers everything same.  what is the point to make another IEM just changing the name?

Have you heard both? Because they are tuned differently.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks, those B2s do look quite tasty. I have had 2 pairs of IEM's break on me after very little usage though and I can't see anything about a warranty on that site, so I'd be hesitant to buy from it.

I looked a a few pairs of cans and the Shure SRH 440s look quite nice and within my budget. Does anyone have any good or bad words about them?

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 16
as far as I know, the brainwavz come with a 1 year warranty. how did your other headphones break? unless you plan on taking them to war with you, I cant really see these breaking easily.

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 16
I had a pair of Sennheiser CX 300's and CX 280's both have one or both earphones simply stop working after a few weeks of use. The most strenuous thing I ever did with them was walking and I kept them in their cases when I wasn't using them.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 16
Ahh, ok. With cheaper headphones, their soldering work can be very shoddy, and with the lack of a proper strain relief, you can easily separate the wire in the cable from the driver.
Another issue with IEM's is that crinkly sound you may hear when you pop them in your ear. This is driver flex and it widely affects dynamic drivers(these drivers look like the speakers in computer or car stereos) which arent vented. This can fatigue the driver and cause it to sound out of balance, or even break(although not always the case wth more expensive DD's).
The B2's, and some of the more expensive IEM's use balanced armatures(easier to explain through video). BA's, to my knowledge, dont suffer from driver flex; and can easily last you over decade with proper care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back