Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Nov 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #1,426 of 1,468
I'm back to share my experience and I apologize for my English.
I state that the main purpose of changing the pads is to preserve the originals.
I got this pair of pads, always bought on aliexpress: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32967593057.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.13f44c4dnWiDTd in the size of 120mm, like the originals.
They are much thicker than the originals and very soft.
Proceeding in stages, I first made two discs of plastic material 120mm in diameter and 2mm thick. Another hole in the center, not oval like the originals but a circle of about 100mm in diameter. I didn't have the right tools so the rim is not perfect but suitable for the purpose.
I then found the exact position of the interlocking holes that I replicated on the discs.
The original pads are held in place by three magnets, 6mm (1mm thick) in diameter which I also found on aliexpress.
Having identified the position of the magnets on the discs, I made a partial 6mm hole, for a depth of 1mm, so without crossing the disc from side to side. So I set the magnets and stopped with a tip of attack.
I then had to make cuts on the flap of the pads to better match the seal. The thickness of the flap of the pads was still excessive, causing the magnets to lose strength. Then or overlap a second magnet, always holding it with an attack tip, so that it protrudes by one millimeter. So the seal is perfect.
I am attaching some photos of the pads
20201112_160207.jpg

20201112_160218.jpg

20201112_160707.jpg

Let's move on to comfort and isolation.
The first thing I notice is better comfort. I don't feel the headset as comfortable as it is. The new pads are very soft and very comfortable.
I also notice a slight greater insulation, perhaps thanks to the padding material of the pads which, being very soft and thick, adheres better around the ear.
Listening to the headphones is different, not distorted but different.
With the original pads it had a V-shaped configuration, with sharp highs, sometimes a little excessive but without disturbing me, and well-present but dry bass. I would say a little cold that in the long run also tires a little (musically)
With the new pads, I would say that the curve has become U-shaped. Highs are softened, lows are deeper. A slight retreat of the mid-bass and mid-highs that make it a little warmer and more relaxing (always musically).
I could listen and keep the "new headset" in my head for hours without getting tired or experiencing pain.
A few decibels of sound pressure are lost. So the volume must be turned up a little to have the same pressure. On the other hand, it gains in space, the instruments feel more distant giving me an impression of a wider soundstage.
In conclusion, I am very satisfied with the change, and I can listen to two different headphones depending on the musical genre and mood J
All in all, I would say an experience that you obviously recommend to those who have a bit of manual skills and want to experiment. All at cost we get 10 €.
Meanwhile, I have ordered other pads of similar thickness to the originals and I think I will experiment again.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,427 of 1,468
I'm back to share my experience and I apologize for my English.
I state that the main purpose of changing the pads is to preserve the originals.
I got this pair of pads, always bought on aliexpress: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32967593057.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.13f44c4dnWiDTd in the size of 120mm, like the originals.
They are much thicker than the originals and very soft.
Proceeding in stages, I first made two discs of plastic material 120mm in diameter and 2mm thick. Another hole in the center, not oval like the originals but a circle of about 100mm in diameter. I didn't have the right tools so the rim is not perfect but suitable for the purpose.
I then found the exact position of the interlocking holes that I replicated on the discs.
The original pads are held in place by three magnets, 6mm (1mm thick) in diameter which I also found on aliexpress.
Having identified the position of the magnets on the discs, I made a partial 6mm hole, for a depth of 1mm, so without crossing the disc from side to side. So I set the magnets and stopped with a tip of attack.
I then had to make cuts on the flap of the pads to better match the seal. The thickness of the flap of the pads was still excessive, causing the magnets to lose strength. Then or overlap a second magnet, always holding it with an attack tip, so that it protrudes by one millimeter. So the seal is perfect.
I am attaching some photos of the pads
20201112_160207.jpg

20201112_160218.jpg
20201112_160707.jpg

Let's move on to comfort and isolation.
The first thing I notice is better comfort. I don't feel the headset as comfortable as it is. The new pads are very soft and very comfortable.
I also notice a slight greater insulation, perhaps thanks to the padding material of the pads which, being very soft and thick, adheres better around the ear.
Listening to the headphones is different, not distorted but different.
With the original pads it had a V-shaped configuration, with sharp highs, sometimes a little excessive but without disturbing me, and well-present but dry bass. I would say a little cold that in the long run also tires a little (musically)
With the new pads, I would say that the curve has become U-shaped. Highs are softened, lows are deeper. A slight retreat of the mid-bass and mid-highs that make it a little warmer and more relaxing (always musically).
I could listen and keep the "new headset" in my head for hours without getting tired or experiencing pain.
As also assumed by Jacksonpollok, a few decibels of sound pressure are lost. So the volume must be turned up a little to have the same pressure. On the other hand, it gains in space, the instruments feel more distant giving me an impression of a wider soundstage.
In conclusion, I am very satisfied with the change, and I can listen to two different headphones depending on the musical genre and mood J
All in all, I would say an experience that you obviously recommend to those who have a bit of manual skills and want to experiment. All at cost we get 10 €.
Meanwhile, I have ordered other pads of similar thickness to the originals and I think I will experiment again.

Bravo! Looks great!
Can you link the pads you used?

Nov 12, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,428 of 1,468
Nov 12, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,429 of 1,468
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #1,430 of 1,468
Dec 4, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,432 of 1,468
New mod, a bearing bought on aliexpress ....
I wanted to put a transparent film because I don't like to paste directly on the skin.
Hi, do you have a link for this???

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #1,435 of 1,468
I guess I'm done now
just straight up 3d print the ring and put magnet on them. add a cover and nugget and now that's it

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_173523.jpg
    IMG_20210911_173523.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210911_173550.jpg
    IMG_20210911_173550.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210911_173617.jpg
    IMG_20210911_173617.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210911_173755.jpg
    IMG_20210911_173755.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210911_174212.jpg
    IMG_20210911_174212.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #1,436 of 1,468
Hello everyone, probably a little late to the party but I recently bought a closed box hp-3s. At first they were a little painful at top to be honest but as soon as I heard them I sold my Meze 99 Noirs. Now the more I use them, the more I enjoy them. In this aspect everyone here is right. I don't know if it is burn-in or my brain adapting it. But now I can crank up the volume more easily.

Also I have Clear MGs, which I also love. I bought them in the same week so I don't think I used both of them enough to judge. It took me some time to read all the post from beginning but several times I've seen some people interested in OG Clears. I might be able to help soon.

By the way, I've also encountered a Pioneer SE-Master 1 in a music equipment store. It should be unused old stock for a reasonable price. I've also seen they are mentioned several times. Crinacle both gave se-1 and hp-3 same rank so it should be good?

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #1,437 of 1,468
Hello everyone, probably a little late to the party but I recently bought a closed box hp-3s. At first they were a little painful at top to be honest but as soon as I heard them I sold my Meze 99 Noirs. Now the more I use them, the more I enjoy them. In this aspect everyone here is right. I don't know if it is burn-in or my brain adapting it. But now I can crank up the volume more easily.

Also I have Clear MGs, which I also love. I bought them in the same week so I don't think I used both of them enough to judge. It took me some time to read all the post from beginning but several times I've seen some people interested in OG Clears. I might be able to help soon.

By the way, I've also encountered a Pioneer SE-Master 1 in a music equipment store. It should be unused old stock for a reasonable price. I've also seen they are mentioned several times. Crinacle both gave se-1 and hp-3 same rank so it should be good?
It's your brain adapting, it has gotten used to the new sound. When we buy a headphone we never listened to it before, our brain has to get used to it first and later it will get much better. That's the nature of the wonderful brain.

Meze 99 Noirs looks pretty boring to me, not something I'd buy one. Instead, I got the 99 Classics Walnut/Gold with silverplated upgrade cables.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #1,438 of 1,468
It's your brain adapting, it has gotten used to the new sound. When we buy a headphone we never listened to it before, our brain has to get used to it first and later it will get much better. That's the nature of the wonderful brain.

Meze 99 Noirs looks pretty boring to me, not something I'd buy one. Instead, I got the 99 Classics Walnut/Gold with silverplated upgrade cables.
Well 99 classics look a tiny bit gaudy if you ask me. I wouldn't say no if they used copper or rose gold instead of yellow gold though 😀 I might buy upgraded cables soon since they work with both focals, hp-3 and probably sundaras too

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,439 of 1,468
Well 99 classics look a tiny bit gaudy if you ask me. I wouldn't say no if they used copper or rose gold if they instead of yellow gold though 😀 I might buy upgraded cables soon since they work with both focals, hp-3 and probably sundaras too
Walnut headphones are a beauty :p

The silverplated upgrade cables works for any headphones but they do change the sound. For example, I don't like them on my Amiron Home. Treble gets a bit unpleasant. Haven't tried them on my HP-3 because I like the stock cables.

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,440 of 1,468
Walnut headphones are a beauty :p

The silverplated upgrade cables works for any headphones but they do change the sound. For example, I don't like them on my Amiron Home. Treble gets a bit unpleasant. Haven't tried them on my HP-3 because I like the stock cables.
Indeed stock cables are a sight for sore eyes, like the headphones themselves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back