Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,351 of 1,468
Ya, that. Actually all that hog wash about TRS vs TS connectors defeating the balanced muddy. I'm pretty sure balanced function is pretty much determined in the amp or amp section and not the cables. The transducers in the headphones have two wires, + and -. How they are charged/powered all happens in the amp. If the TRS connectors were somehow fiddling with the signal I don't think music would come out. Just my two muddy cents.

Jun 19, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,353 of 1,468
Ya, that. Actually all that hog wash about TRS vs TS connectors defeating the balanced muddy. I'm pretty sure balanced function is pretty much determined in the amp or amp section and not the cables. The transducers in the headphones have two wires, + and -. How they are charged/powered all happens in the amp. If the TRS connectors were somehow fiddling with the signal I don't think music would come out. Just my two muddy cents.

I always appreciate your two cents! And since the mud was resolved for me I will happily let the water settle down from it hahah
Also as always I really like the discussions and learn about (tech) details of audio stuff here because that’s why we are here in our virtual club right? :)

Jun 20, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #1,357 of 1,468
Alright guys, just to share my experience, I have ordered the HP3 to compare it head to head with the Focal Clear and make a decision based on facts.

And I will keep the Clear vs the HP3.

The HP3 is a very good looking set, nothing new for those who own it already, but the package is impressive (and very heavy for a set of cans :D).
But the comfort... I put them on, and I see directly that the thinness of the band will be a problem.
After 10-20 minutes, I was feeling the pain on the top of my head :/

And sound-wise, I am no expert so I will not use all those fancy words to describe sound, but what I felt was that the bass are very tight with the HP3, and i think it's mainly due to its semi-open configuration. In comparison the Clear is totally open, the sounds leaks so much, while the HP3 is more discrete, thanks to the wood cups I guess.

Treble can be a bit bright but nothing bad here, the only big drawback I felt vs the Clear was on the medium side, the HP3 is quite thin there, while the Clear sounds more balanced.

But I would disagree with reviewers saying the HP3 is very far from the top, I think they are a very good set of cans, and I would have loved to keep it with the Clear (mainly for the look, i confess...), but I can't.

Hope people will not complain about seeing the word "Clear" this time :darthsmile:

Thank you for the comparison! I just got the HP-3 and really enjoying it but finding the treble to be a bit much. One of my favorite songs like Sicko Mode has so much sibilance and hip hop songs with snares can sound too intense. Makes me have to lower the volume which is annoying when I want to feel the bass :beyersmile:

The great reviews for the Clear has me interested but how is the treble? Is it even brighter than HP-3?

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #1,358 of 1,468
Thank you for the comparison! I just got the HP-3 and really enjoying it but finding the treble to be a bit much. One of my favorite songs like Sicko Mode has so much sibilance and hip hop songs with snares can sound too intense. Makes me have to lower the volume which is annoying when I want to feel the bass :beyersmile:

The great reviews for the Clear has me interested but how is the treble? Is it even brighter than HP-3?

Glad im not alone on this one. I also find the highs to be too intense. I'm trying to figure out how to dampen them a bit without losing the detail up there. I've just ordered some acoustic foam inserts, some magnets and brainwavz pads (velour and hybrid) to test it out. So far HP3 responds a lot to very minor adjustments. Switching to bayer dynamic pads has changed the signature dramatically.

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,359 of 1,468
Hi everyone, so for those who are curious about HP3 cable internals I have something interesting here! :)

I disassembled the jack end and replaced the original plug. I broke the original plug, but to be frank, if you look at it in your hands now - it is admittedly the weakest and cheapest component of the HP3.

I wanted to replace it with an L shape metal plug that is much more durable. That was my intention. But while dissembling it, to my surprise, the cable wirings have 4 cables instead of expected 3. Because the jack is TRS so you'd expect it to be Right, Left and Ground, but it is actually Right, Left and 2 duplicated Grounds for each channel!
Why is it important? It means the cable is by default balance ready!! You can just simply buy a 5$ balanced jack and replace the original one you have a balanced cable! Simple and nice solution. Basic soldering in 10mins 😃
I will do that next time, I just ordered a 2.5mm TRRS plug now. It might take some time to be delivered here but I'm totally thrilled with this, I like the material and the look of the original cable and I want to keep it while enjoying balanced output :)

Attachments

• 20200620_195848.jpg
    20200620_195848.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200620_195105.jpg
    20200620_195105.jpg
    890.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200620_220017.jpg
    20200620_220017.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200620_194527.jpg
    20200620_194527.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #1,361 of 1,468
Has anyone tried unscrewing the back and removing the foam from the back of the driver?

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,362 of 1,468
You are obviously a technician of something. For mere mortals a couple hundred bucks for a ready made cable is both elegant and simple.

well, while I am from technical background (software engineering), the process of swapping a heaphone jack doesn't need anything more than basic soldering skills that many guys here can do in their garages :wink:
With couple hundred bucks you can by a balanced cable, but not the original one cable with a jack of your liking for a fraction of the price while still having fun.

For those interested in mods I'm gonna swap the original plug for this balanced one, it's beautiful: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000341706445.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.679c53eaBpMOgn

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,364 of 1,468
well, while I am from technical background (software engineering), the process of swapping a heaphone jack doesn't need anything more than basic soldering skills that many guys here can do in their garages :wink:
With couple hundred bucks you can by a balanced cable, but not the original one cable with a jack of your liking for a fraction of the price while still having fun.

For those interested in mods I'm gonna swap the original plug for this balanced one, it's beautiful: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000341706445.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.679c53eaBpMOgn
I have a mechanical background and have done some soldering---with a propane torch Most of my work with fire involves a cutting torch!!

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,365 of 1,468
I have a mechanical background and have done some soldering---with a propane torch Most of my work with fire involves a cutting torch!!

Hey I always wanted to play with a propane torch! even though that's a bit harder to get hands on, hopefully one day I will have a chance :)

And what are you going to plug it into?

So that plug is a 4.4mm balanced, I have a Fiio m11 player for that but many DAC/AMP support that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back