Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Jun 21, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,367 of 1,468
2020-06-21 09.58.16.jpg

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #1,371 of 1,468
Thank you for the comparison! I just got the HP-3 and really enjoying it but finding the treble to be a bit much. One of my favorite songs like Sicko Mode has so much sibilance and hip hop songs with snares can sound too intense. Makes me have to lower the volume which is annoying when I want to feel the bass :beyersmile:

The great reviews for the Clear has me interested but how is the treble? Is it even brighter than HP-3?

It's better (to my ears), but if you love your HP3 except for the sibilance, you might want to EQ it a bit first :D

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #1,372 of 1,468
Ok, so I've kinda narrowed down the options for the DAC/AMP to go with the HP-3. What am I looking for? Something with a very black background, dynamic and lush sounding, preferably with a balanced output for headphones.

Options:

Klipsch Heritage AMP ((Balanced 1440 mW / 32 Ω - Unbalanced 940 mW / 32 Ω) - 483€
Pros: Klipsch on Klipsch, sound signature should be optimized for the HP-3, XLR headphone out, output switch, beautiful vintage design and is literally half the price of the other options.
Cons: No XLR line outs, doesn't really excel on anything according to reviews and is described as incredibly laid back, which could end up being a bit too much...

RME ADI-2 DAC FS
- 901€
Pros: German made, IEM dedicated out, XLR line outs, remote control, lots of EQ options.
Cons: No balanced headphone out, AMP section seems to be on the weak side, described as a bit dry and analytical, so many menus and options can be overwhelming.

TEAC UD-505 (Balanced 700 mW + 700 mW / 32 Ω - Unbalanced 500 mW + 500 mW / 32 Ω) - 892€
Pros: Super solid, beautiful brushed aluminum, Japanese tech, dual 6.3mm out + 4.4 balanced out, XLR line outs, remote control.
Cons: Large size, has been around for a while, not a lot of feedback can be found on this.

Marantz HD-DAC1 (SE 800mW / 32 Ω) - 854€
Pros: Sturdy, renowned brand, remote control.
Cons: Materials used not really up to par with the price, no XLR line outs, no headphone balanced out.

Jun 29, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,373 of 1,468
So I haven't been reading your earlier posts that I can remember but why are you excluding DAPs from your list? There are many of them that can drive the Klipsch while providing the sound you are looking for. Just look at my list. I use the Klipsch in all of them, almost, all that have balanced out that is. You're right about the Klipsch Heritage amp, it's just not all that. Capable, just not all that.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,374 of 1,468
I got two DAPs atm, the ZX300 and the Calyx M. Calyx M + HP-3 is a spectacular combo but I don't use DAPs at home, cause I'm on the PC when I'm listening to music.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,376 of 1,468
I don't want to take limited options like A or B hahah :D
But the drawing is very good! Did you draw it yourself? :wink:

and I can confirm that Ebony is not actually ebony, I managed to scratch them and underneath it, there is a light, I'd say even white (wood?) material. So I don't know what wood is used there.

I had the same question. And it seems like there's no replacement. Can we get some support, answer from Klipsch?

Any chance a picture of that scratch? I'm not sure how I feel about it not actually being Ebony. On one hand, its rare and its dense (adding weight) on another its one of my favorite hard woods and its sort of disappointing.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,380 of 1,468
Hi everyone, how is it going, long time no talk :) as promised I am sending the modded original cable with balanced 4.4mm jack.

The original cable has 4 wires by default so this confirms that it is just a matter of swapping the unbalanced jack for a balanced jack and we have a balanced cable. Don't know if it was intentional from Klipsch but it was a good engineering decision from them.

Difference in SQ? It sounds louder since balanced output has more watts.
But it seems like there is slightly more subbass and things sound cleaner, I am not sure if it's due to the louder output or that my DAP has less distortion in output because it doesn't have to go to higher volume. Nevertheless it definitely was worth the upgrade!

Attachments

• 20200716_222631.jpg
    20200716_222631.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back